All things Barclays / Barclaycard / Barclay

The last post in this topic was posted 1101 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

This is my attempt to have a thread that captures everyone's experiences with Barclays.

Hopefully when people use the search function it will show up.

Here's a rundown of my history with this lender:

1/2015 approved for $1,000 Rewards card with 3 tradelines. 1.5yo secured card, 1.5yo paid/closed personal loan, 6yo paid chargeoff (~$1,000)

Called in (thanks to this forum) for a CLI and was given a $2,500 line.

Low 600s FICO (620-630ish)

HEAVY usage.

3/2015 requested a hard pull CLI after the chargeoff dropped off my reports. denied, even after pleasant recon call. too many new accounts (VERY true)

High 600s FICO (690ish)

HEAVY usage.

5/2015 applications denied for Arrival + and Arrival. recon attempts denied as well.

748 FICO.

Moderate Usage.

12/2015 called in to ask about soft CLI availability or other offers. only a special rate balance transfer. took it. BT'd $2k

730 FICO

Almost no usage.

1/2016 paid off BT

748 FICO

No usage besides the BT.

3/2016 application denied for Arrival + again. pleasant recon but the rep insisted that Barclays was conservative and they liked to see heavy usage and long history.

755 FICO

Almost no usage.

4/2016 called in to "cancel" the card account. no retention offers of any kind. rep was ready to process the cancellation immediately.

770 FICO

Almost no usage,

I'm pretty good on the phone with recon calls, but am getting nowhere with these guys. Ideally (I think), I'd like to apply for one of their more useful cards (I don't have a 2x travel points card anymore), then combine limits.

Just not sure what they want considering the success I've had with other major banks over the last year.

This card is now useless to me, and the only thing stopping me from cancelling it is that it's my oldest tradeline and I have no other products with them.

I'm not scared of INQs anymore, but still hate wasting them.

What would you do in this situation?

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

June 2013: approved for the Rewards MC with a $500 limit. I was able to recon to $1500. TU was in the 630s.

Feb 2014: CLI on my Rewards MC from $1500 to $4500. I was initially declined and had to call the UW. I had been experimenting with 30% usage since there was a blog post that suggested it could lead to auto CLIs, but that never happened. I went the heavy utilization route and still had to recon. TU was in the 640s IIRC.

Jun 2014: Approved for the Arrival+ for $2500. I could not recon a higher limit, so I moved $3500 of the limit from my Rewards MC. New limits were Arrival+ $6000 and Rewards MC $1000. TU FICO was moving up into the 650s at this point IIRC.

Jul 2014: Approved for the US Airways MC for $5K. My TU FICO was 697 by this point. I was not able to recon a higher limit.

Sep 2014: TU FICO hit 701. CLI on my Arrival+ to $8550 and US Airways to $10,000. I had just hit the bonus spend on the Arrival+ so that saw usage, but had only spent about $10 on the US Airways card plus paid the annual fee.

Oct 2014: TU FICO is 702. CLI on Rewards MC to $2050 and approved for my 4th card, the Lufthansa Miles and More MC for $2500. I was not able to recon a higher limit. So my 4 cards are US Airways $10,000, Arrival+ $8550, Miles and More $2500 and Rewards MC $2050.

Dec 2014: This was my plan anyway, but I closed my US Airways card a little sooner than I had planned to try and get approved for a second card before the US Airways/AA merger. I was never approved for a second card. I also closed my Arrival+ and moved the limits to my Miles and More MC. At this point, I had the Miles and More MC $21,050 and Rewards MC $2050.

2014 in review: I went from $1500 in total exposure to $23,100 in 2014, most of which happened with a TU FICO below 700.

May 2015: Based on THIS thread I tried for a SP CLI on my cards and received $1000 on my Rewards MC. Nothing was available for the Miles and More MC. New limits Miles and More $21,050 and Rewards $3050.

Jun 2015: I closed my Rewards MC and move the limit to Miles and More for a new limit of $24,100. TU FICO is 756 at this point.

Jul 2015: CLI request on Miles and More MC took it to $25,000 and I was able to recon to $30,000.

Since Jul 2015: I have been denied on any new applications or CLI requests even though my income justifies it, I have higher limits reporting and my card sees regular usage up to $28K many months.

I still have a soft spot for Barclays though because they took me from $1500 to $30K in a short time while rebuilding, and most of that happened with a TU FICO below 700.

And all things Barkley...

c03-barkley-before-13-4_3.jpg

What kind of retention offer did you expect on the no-AF Rewards card?

And why would you close a no-AF card from a major issuer other than to shift the limits to another card?

I get that you're butt hurt not getting what you want, but emotions have little place in finances and credit.

And why would you close a no-AF card from a major issuer other than to shift the limits to another card?

I get that you're butt hurt not getting what you want, but emotions have little place in finances and credit.

I didn't EXPECT any retention offer. I just said that there weren't any available to me.

I would consider closing the card because the limit is low AND I don't use it.

If it was a high limit card OR it was a card I used, of course I wouldn't consider closing it.

I don't see anything butt hurt or emotional about my post.

Maybe you're grouchy today.

Just a few data points to add here in my experiences. I had an ANCIENT US Airways card that CO (no longer on my reports it's that old). Once it was about 6 years old Barclays finally let me back in the door with a Rewards card but every CLI was basically a hard and a call to an analyst and I could never get an APR reduction (card was used pretty decently never late, etc). I thought they hated me.

Recently, my Jet Blue Amex went over to them, they immediately gave me a CLI soft by hitting the luv button then let me combine the limit from my old Rewards card into it to make a card with a $40K limit. I think that certain types of Rewards accounts are "flagged" or blocked for some reason - I seem to recall there being an "average credit" version or whatever it was called then and that one seems very unwilling to budge even after your credit improves. They seem REALLY inclined to make me happy with the Jet Blue card so that blows my theory about Barclays just not liking me

Just a few data points to add here in my experiences. I had an ANCIENT US Airways card that CO (no longer on my reports it's that old). Once it was about 6 years old Barclays finally let me back in the door with a Rewards card but every CLI was basically a hard and a call to an analyst and I could never get an APR reduction (card was used pretty decently never late, etc). I thought they hated me.

Recently, my Jet Blue Amex went over to them, they immediately gave me a CLI soft by hitting the luv button then let me combine the limit from my old Rewards card into it to make a card with a $40K limit. I think that certain types of Rewards accounts are "flagged" or blocked for some reason - I seem to recall there being an "average credit" version or whatever it was called then and that one seems very unwilling to budge even after your credit improves. They seem REALLY inclined to make me happy with the Jet Blue card so that blows my theory about Barclays just not liking me

This is the first I'm hearing of something like that, and was the intention of this thread.

Thanks for that. I'll be bugging a rep later this week and will ask about that.

I didn't EXPECT any retention offer. I just said that there weren't any available to me.

I would consider closing the card because the limit is low AND I don't use it.

If it was a high limit card OR it was a card I used, of course I wouldn't consider closing it.

I don't see anything butt hurt or emotional about my post.

Maybe you're grouchy today. everyday.

He talks AT everyone this way... Don't take it personal.

Opened a Barnes & Noble MasterCard with Barclays in 2008 or thereabouts. Instant approval.

Since then opened four others, none of which were instant approvals. Numerous CLIs, also none instant approvals.

At one time an UW told me that they rarely have instant approvals for those who currently have one of their cards. Not sure how reliable that statement is, but in my case and in wife's it is true.

Just a month or so ago applied for the new CashForward and both of us got instant approvals. Maybe that one is on sale right now.

Opened a Barnes & Noble MasterCard with Barclays in 2008 or thereabouts. Instant approval.

Since then opened four others, none of which were instant approvals. Numerous CLIs, also none instant approvals.

At one time an UW told me that they rarely have instant approvals for those who currently have one of their cards. Not sure how reliable that statement is, but in my case and in wife's it is true.

Just a month or so ago applied for the new CashForward and both of us got instant approvals. Maybe that one is on sale right now.

Stop it POT u gone make me App it lol. :grin:

Go for it!

It's generally only 1 INQ on TU.

Go for it!

Yea i know i dont feel like Reconning and the UW saying poppa u have to many new accounts lol. :rofl:

Go for it!

Yea i know i dont feel like Reconning and the UW saying poppa u have to many new accounts lol. :rofl:

Without going to count, I've got about 15.

UW never cared about inquiries or new accounts for me.

IIRC only the Arrival+ was not an instant approval.

For you. But it's well documented they have cared with others.

It's the new accounts and INQs added onto other factor(s) that is the likely issue.

It's the new accounts and INQs added onto other factor(s) that is the likely issue.

I'm just adding data points for this thread, not negating other experiences.

Most of what Barclays gave me they did with 36 defaulted student loans reporting.

Amen +1

Amen +1

Read my post above.

Most of what Barclays gave me they did with 36 defaulted student loans reporting.

There was something in your profile they liked.

If you look on the Barclaycard Ring Forum there are always people posting about how they've been cut off at the knees for either new accounts or INQs. Sometimes the forum admin gets it sorted for them, but often not.

After talking with Poppa, I went back and counted. 17 new CC accounts and still instant on CashForward. Makes me wanna roll the dice again. :)

Amen +1

Read my post above.

Thanks for that input Mendel i respect your wisdom since i have been here u have gave me advice and anwsers to quite a few of my questions no pun intended.

There was something in your profile they liked.

If you look on the Barclaycard Ring Forum there are always people posting about how they've been cut off at the knees for either new accounts or INQs. Sometimes the forum admin gets it sorted for them, but often not.

After talking with Poppa, I went back and counted. 17 new CC accounts and still instant on CashForward. Makes me wanna roll the dice again. :)

Do it Pot take1 for the team. :wave:

The last post in this topic was posted 1101 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.