Sign in to follow this  
breeze

baby garter snake

He's sunning himself on my front porch, but every time I try to get his picture, he slithers away down the side of the porch. :D

Meanwhile, the male geese are guarding their territories outside my office window along the creek. They have these invisible lines neither may cross that separates the females sitting near egg nests. Lots of drama.

Meanwhile, the male geese are guarding their territories outside my office window along the creek. They have these invisible lines neither may cross that separates the females sitting near egg nests. Lots of drama.

What? No videos?

Strangely enough, I find such things fascinating. (yes, I have been told I am somewhat touched)

I do too Tigz. I hope Trev can get some video. The wildlife around us are quite fascinating.

I'll look for the snake again tomorrow. After looking it up, it may be a ribbon snake - the babies' markings are very similar, but their heads are different, and their tails are longer - so I read. How do you know where a snake's tail begins. :lol:

I haven't seen the blue-tailed skink yet, and none of them have been inside - that I know of.

...and meanwhile, in my neck of the woods...we found a litter of baby rabbits right up next to the foundation of our house this morning.

Now I feel bad for chucking rocks at (presumably) the momma yesterday morning for digging holes in my front yard.

Give them some lettuce? I can't grow tulips in my yard - the bunnies eat the tender young leaves as soon as they come up. :D

...and meanwhile, in my neck of the woods...we found a litter of baby rabbits right up next to the foundation of our house this morning.

Now I feel bad for chucking rocks at (presumably) the momma yesterday morning for digging holes in my front yard.

My dachshund would be in heaven with a nest of bunnies to harass

Nah, they're wild animals -- I'll let them fend for themselves.

My Cocker Spaniel would have a ball playing with them, too... She likes to watch them from the front window when they're out in the yard lol

Give them some lettuce? I can't grow tulips in my yard - the bunnies eat the tender young leaves as soon as they come up. :D

they like Microgreens too.

they like Microgreens too.

If I see those bunnies, I will share my microgreens. :) I really prefer garlic bread sticks 'n stuff. Not partial to twigs and grass, but healthy is.

Our li'l bunnies hopped away sometime before I got home yesterday evening. Bugger.

We found 'em because the neighbor is redoing his yard (and he takes care of his side of our house, since it's only about a 5 foot wide strip). He tilled up his yard a couple of weeks ago, and we were out spreading new top soil+compost+seed the day we found 'em. I guess they found the tilled soil easy to burrow in. We worked around them, but I guess they still weren't comfortable. I know they weren't taken by the other animals around here (we have quite a few coyotes roaming the neighborhood) because we could see where the all (Momma included) hopped away in the (still loose) soil we'd spread. Their tracks ended under our deck (where we weren't working).

I just realized today that we have some baby bird somewhere under our deck (again). I love this time of year :D

Our li'l bunnies hopped away sometime before I got home yesterday evening. Bugger.

We found 'em because the neighbor is redoing his yard (and he takes care of his side of our house, since it's only about a 5 foot wide strip). He tilled up his yard a couple of weeks ago, and we were out spreading new top soil+compost+seed the day we found 'em. I guess they found the tilled soil easy to burrow in. We worked around them, but I guess they still weren't comfortable. I know they weren't taken by the other animals around here (we have quite a few coyotes roaming the neighborhood) because we could see where the all (Momma included) hopped away in the (still loose) soil we'd spread. Their tracks ended under our deck (where we weren't working).

I just realized today that we have some baby bird somewhere under our deck (again). I love this time of year :D

Yes, it's fun to watch the critters and critter babies.

This is Hootie. He and a couple of his friends visit the gully out behind the house we're renting every year.

Last year, Hootie spent 10 minutes playing in our water sprinkler while the DW and I sat on the deck watching him. When I thought he'd flown away, I let the pup back out to play...and she went right to where he was hiding (under the corner of the deck). I was looking over the edge of the deck to see what she was after when he came soaring out. He was so close to me that I could feel the draft from his wings -- but couldn't hear a sound from him.

You don't want to know what that fuzzy stuff is under his feet... I interrupted his dinner for this pic.

DSC_0022_resized.JPG

He's not a baby critter (anymore), but he always comes back around this time of year (he hooted at me weekend before last :D)

I didn't get any pics of the baby rabbits. I'm just hoping that they grow up enough to flee before Hootie or the coyotes come back full time.

This little critter crawled his way in to my garage while I was working on my truck one night last winter:

Geico.jpg

Dang, I thought I had more critter pics from around the house, but I guess I don't... The only other critter pics I have are of the house critters.

i love Hootie! Can't find my other pictures either. Probably on some disk somewhere.

We love 'im, too!

I saw him down on the ground in the gully the second day we were here (I'd stepped out for a break from moving crap, and there he was). I thought he was a spotted owl for a long time, and I couldn't ever catch a clear enough pic on my phone to tell for sure. I borrowed my daughter's SLR to capture that pic (along with about 30 more), and I was finally able to figure out that he's a northern barred owl.

July is when he really makes his presence known. He'll sit out on a branch and we'll watch each other, and occasionally he'll let out a big "HOOO HOOO HOO HOOOOOOT".

EDIT: Speeling...again...

Edited by clc222

Ah ha! Found one of our bunnies from a couple of years ago.

BunnyFrom2014.jpg

One of the baby bunnies we found looked just like this one...only smaller :D

Son has a half Flemish giant rabbit. I'm rabbit sitting while he is away at trade school. Fidget is around 20 lbs or so, bigger than any of my cats at 3 yrs old now.

Few days ago, one my cats caught a little eastern cottontail. No bigger than a can of pasta. Funny thing is son's rabbit (Fidget) has never been viewed as prey. Rabbits outside are prey. My kitties are smart enough to know that if Momma handles it - it's not food. I've taken birds, moles, lizards, and field mice from them. Once my smell is on the critter, the cats ignore it.