Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Victoria Secrets' Comenity Card or how I learned to stop getting store cards.

The last post in this topic was posted 1693 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So way back in July 2013 when I was repairing my credit, the first ever card I got was a Victoria Secret store card (via the cart trick). I've periodically requested CLI and it's went from $400 to $1700, but I'm not using it and it doesn't appear to be updating on my CRs for any of the 3 CRAs. I'm now in the position (in part due to the wisdom from CB) where I'm thinking I should close it because "Higher limits beget higher limits". Is that a smart move and if so, how could I get it to report one time to the CRAs so that I can show positive history (right now, it just shows No Data for each month)? How will this affect AAOA? Can I do a product change from this to another Comenity card that I could actually use?

Semi-stupid questions but I'd like to back out of this as gracefully as possible.

Thanks!

So way back in July 2013 when I was repairing my credit, the first ever card I got was a Victoria Secret store card (via the cart trick). I've periodically requested CLI and it's went from $400 to $1700, but I'm not using it and it doesn't appear to be updating on my CRs for any of the 3 CRAs. I'm now in the position (in part due to the wisdom from CB) where I'm thinking I should close it because "Higher limits beget higher limits". Is that a smart move and if so, how could I get it to report one time to the CRAs so that I can show positive history (right now, it just shows No Data for each month)? How will this affect AAOA? Can I do a product change from this to another Comenity card that I could actually use?

Semi-stupid questions but I'd like to back out of this as gracefully as possible.

Thanks!

Most frustrating thing about Comenity: they don't report to the CRA's for months when there's no balance on your card.

Edit: I don't recommend closing a card for which there's no AF and you've already taken the AAOA hit. Just make a minimal purchase now and then.

Edited by Sidewinder

Thanks!

Most frustrating thing about Comenity: they don't report to the CRA's for months when there's no balance on your card.

Edit: I don't recommend closing a card for which there's no AF and you've already taken the AAOA hit. Just make a minimal purchase now and then.

Just push $2 to it from billpay and it will report

Also...

(Konrad readies up a roundhouse)

store cards aren't ALWAYS a bad idea. Ones that give high limits - Lowe's comes to mind - are obviously good for your util score. Oddly, some Comenity cards do this too. There's one report here on CB of someone who's J Crew card now has a $17,000 limit. And their home furnishing ones (Restoration Hardware, Snobbery Barn, Overstock.com) often open with 5-digit limits. I don't know from RH but I could see a PB card, as they sell candles there. Buy a candle every couple of months and voilà, you've got activity reporting.

(Never, ever, ever APPLY for a Comenity store card; they're not worth the INQ hit, just wait to see what SCT offers pop up. And of course make sure it's a store you would shop at; I've turned down the SCT offer at The Buckle (not even sure why I was on their website) because I'm 20 years too old to be wearing their stuff.)

I have no empirical reason to speak out against Konrad's trick for pushing $2 from your bank's bill pay. If it were me I would just worry that Comenity would get wise to it and penalize me somehow. I seem to have had that kind of luck in life.

(Also I like candles.)

The last post in this topic was posted 1693 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.