Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Do stores call the cops if someone is using a stolen or cloned credit card?

The last post in this topic was posted 1695 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I'm thinking nothing happens. If the cashier tries the card and it doesn't work, for whatever reason, they just hand the card back asking the customer for another card. And if it does work on a suspicious purchase, like buying 10 flat-screen televisions, it's no questions and no ID requested.

No wonder credit card fraud is so high.

Agree.

I know in the past (or just in movies/TV) there was the 'cut the card' thing. But, I don't think stores want that responsibility/task.

Unless card is specifically flagged as stolen, I don't think anything will happen.

I had a card cloned once. The person used it 1,000 miles away from where I was and was going from one Home Depot to the next buying things for $700 at a time until he drained my card, then he filled up with gas.

The bank was great, but I was actually concerned that a red flag didn't pop up that my card was used by me in one state then minutes later was used 1,000 miles away. Also, the bank was unconcerned about trying to find the person, they just said "This happens all the time, we'll take care of it".

Edited by ClaimJumper

You think that they aren't insured for this type of thing?

Insurance can't be that cheap if it's happening all the time.

Plus, this might have been an easy person to catch. The charges were being made in Orlando FL. I had just been to Orlando and that card I had used a few times, but only once did it leave my sight while at a a restaurant.

There is a record of the waiter that had my card and Home Depot video (I'm assuming) of the person using the card. It may or may not have been the same person, but it's worth looking into to stop what is probably a habitual card cloner.

What really pisses me off is that I left that waiter a hell of a tip. His service was excellent!

Edited by ClaimJumper

When I used to work in a downtown liquor store our credit card machine would pop a "declined - confiscate card" message about once a week. Sometimes I'd do so, sometimes I wouldn't. It was totally dependent on the demeanor of the 'customer'.

Had a BOA card with a transaction (Orlando, interestingly enough) from a sunglass shop. Card not present transaction...

Anyway, called the bank. Rep said no worries and cancelled the card but when I asked about the merchant and how the charge would be handled, the rep said nothing would be done.. most likely.

I Googled the 800 number indicated on my charge and dozens upon dozens of posts came up from people stating the same exact merchant charged the exact same amount without authorization.. again, card not present.

I have a strong feeling that the red tape pursuing this type of thing is very large and is treated more like shoplifting losses at large retail stores.. The less attention, the better.

As a merchant who does all card not present transactions, I can tell you that the merchant loses the money + a chargeback fee + and most times the discount fee originally paid.

So Police, Banks, Credit Card Issuers could care less.

I had a $3,000 scam, found the guy, the Craigs List add for my stuff and the police station was 6 blocks away. They would not investigate.

I wish they would pursue these thieves more. There is nothing worse than a thief. You know if they are ordering merchandise online and shipping it somewhere there is a way to find out who it is. I am sure for a $150 item the police couldn't be bothered but you know it is mostly the same people doing it over and over for tens of thousands of dollars. The laissez-faire attitude is frustrating.

Agree, NewGuy00. A few months ago, someone got a hold of my debit card number somehow. I sure was surprised when a $410 charge showed up for a laptop computer I never bought. The thief was dumb enough to have the laptop shipped to his home address, and to give his phone number with the order, but the police didn't do a thing about it even though I handed them all the info on a silver platter. Luckily, Walmart figured out it was fraudulent and canceled it the same day it was ordered.

The card doesn't need to leave your hands to be cloned. There are ways they can scan them from your wallet while in line etc. it's why it's so hard to track down the sources.

had about $15K auto paid to various charge accounts with the same and address , all over the $2000 felony amount. They couldn't care less.

I, however, was grilled and had to sign endless affidavits for same, even though I had no charge accts at those stores.

infuriating.

How about this one...

Card number taken down (best guess) by an airport convenience store employee in San Salvador (destination wedding trip). Took my flight back home, landed and got an alert from BOA (again).

Card number was used to book another flight same day from San Salvador to Spain. The actual flight was still in the air.. I asked the BOA rep about pursuing the their since theor exact whereabouts was known.. they said most likely not. Charge reversed and not a peep heard about it again.

I doubt anything was done.

I heard a similar story about a plane ticket bought in advance in the U.S. Account holder called and reported it when they recognized the unknown purchase. Doubt anything happened for it either. But you know they have to show up in person with I.D to board so how hard is it to catch these people? You know a time and place where they will be, probably video footage as evidence, and for a felony amount..... :dntknw:

Edited by Newguy00

Back in the early the early 90's working at Radio Shack. A guy comes in and wants to buy a computer. Pulls out his Amex card. No biggie, we saw Amex cards all the time. When I went to swipe it, a message came up on my computer terminal instructing me to call an 800 number. Was not an outright decline. I called the number, it was Amex fraud dept. Guy on the other end asked who I was and was the customer in the store. I replied yes. Then the Amex rep without missing a beat asks me if I would be comfortable cutting the card up. If yes, then Amex would like to send ME a check for $200 for my trouble.

Being young and lack of concern for my personal safety, I cut that bastards card up right in front of him. The customer left the store without saying a word. Less than 10 days later a check made out to me arrived. Don't think this would happen today.

Nice. We need more of that. Along with some bracelets and hickory shampoo. ;)

Maybe some jasmine tea too.

Back in the early the early 90's working at Radio Shack. A guy comes in and wants to buy a computer. Pulls out his Amex card. No biggie, we saw Amex cards all the time. When I went to swipe it, a message came up on my computer terminal instructing me to call an 800 number. Was not an outright decline. I called the number, it was Amex fraud dept. Guy on the other end asked who I was and was the customer in the store. I replied yes. Then the Amex rep without missing a beat asks me if I would be comfortable cutting the card up. If yes, then Amex would like to send ME a check for $200 for my trouble.

Being young and lack of concern for my personal safety, I cut that bastards card up right in front of him. The customer left the store without saying a word. Less than 10 days later a check made out to me arrived. Don't think this would happen today.

Likely owed them a lot of money. Back then, they didn't want people running around with AX cards getting declined. It looks bad.

Edited by Zobelle

As a merchant who does all card not present transactions, I can tell you that the merchant loses the money + a chargeback fee + and most times the discount fee originally paid.

So Police, Banks, Credit Card Issuers could care less.

I had a $3,000 scam, found the guy, the Craigs List add for my stuff and the police station was 6 blocks away. They would not investigate.

Solving actual crimes is a cost center. Writing tickets/arresting people for victimless crimes is a profit center.

How about this one...

Card number taken down (best guess) by an airport convenience store employee in San Salvador (destination wedding trip). Took my flight back home, landed and got an alert from BOA (again).

Card number was used to book another flight same day from San Salvador to Spain. The actual flight was still in the air.. I asked the BOA rep about pursuing the their since theor exact whereabouts was known.. they said most likely not. Charge reversed and not a peep heard about it again.

I doubt anything was done.

Jurisdiction issues ... headache.

The loss is a tax write-off for some company (bank, merchant, etc.)

No one cares.

I live down here in Orlando, FL and every day I log on to orlando sentinel and click over at mugshots. I can tell you, down here in Orlando, they arrest and prosecute these people all the time, there are arrests routinely for this stuff, they take it very seriously.

The last post in this topic was posted 1695 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.