Sign in to follow this  
mendelssohn

Mendelssohn's CB Success Story

Today, after more than 4 years of waiting, the LAST of my delinquent student loans were deleted from EX!!! I had 3 accounts that were hanging on EX too long because of "OK" marking inserted towards the end of the string of late payments. A CFPB dispute finally got me in touch with someone at Navient that could get these removed. And finally, a good EX FICO! :yahoo:

ex_fico_757_zpskbumcvhi.jpg

Here's an outline of my rebuilding story:

2011-I joined CB that summer but didn't start doing anything in terms of credit repair. I read CB non-stop. At that point, I was behind on my bills and needed to get caught up before taking the first step. I wanted to buy a house, and knew I had a lot of work to do with my credit.

2012-in January, I started rebuilding my credit. I had about every negative you can imagine except BK or a judgement. I had NO open credit until I opened my first CC in March, an Orchard Bank Visa with a $300 limit. Fortunately that card is now with Cap1. I opened 4 CCs that year. Most of my time was focused on cleaning up reports. -                                                             -

-                                                                               -

2013-I found out I was eligible for NFCU through my brother and opened a CC, CLOC, a Barclays Rewards MC and a Walmart CC in June. By the end of the year, most of my negatives that could be removed were gone.

2014-The only remaining negatives on my reports at the beginning of the year were some old car loan lates with Santander (burn in hell!) and my student loans, about 40 of them. In February, I was approved for Amex, Chase and Discover. I applied for a lot of cards in 2014 and worked on strategies to build higher limits, and also started chasing CC rewards. In 2014, I also started a rebuilding thread to track the rest of my progress: https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=524818                                 -

-                                                                                                     -

2015-This was the year of the business CC app for me. Less personal cards, more business cards. I was also able to dispute all of my student loans as obsolete with the CRAs except the 3 remaining on EX that were finally deleted today. I was also able to buy a house in December, the whole reason I came to CB in the first place. :)

2016-FINALLY done! I was able to get Santander deleted from EQ, but it remains as my only negative on EX and TU. At this point, after trying every trick in the book, I am just going to let it age off.

The only FICO I had when I started was a TU 08, which was 419! :swoon: My EQ is now 803, which is 384 points higher!!! :D                             .

-                                                                                                       -

-                                                       -           

What I've learned:

-                                                                                    .

Read CB like a second job. Not only can you do credit repair yourself way better than a credit repair company, the best information and resources on credit repair are right here. You just need to put in some time researching and reading.

.                                       .                                                     .

If you live in TX, read the TX DV thread. That, combined with the 1-2 punch, made the biggest dent in my credit repair.                                      ,

.                                                                   .

Use all of the resources available to you for disputes. I filed disputes and complaints with the CFPB, BBB, TX AG, AG of the home state for businesses, state regulatory boards, etc. in addition to regular disputes.                   .

.                                                            .                                         . 

Work on a real strategy and don't app on impulse. I was able to avoid toy card hell and build a solid profile from the ground up by adding cards in tiers, when I could step up in quality and limits. Once I was in with prime issuers, I worked on strategies for combining limits. Strategy should also include a rewards strategy. All of the cards I've added were for a good reason, not because I heard the signup bonus is good. I have plans on how to use the bonuses.                          .

.                                                         .                                               .

This is definitely a marathon and not a sprint. For those of us that have lived with long term negatives stuck to reports, it can be overwhelming at times. If you rebuild properly though, you can get in with prime issuers with scores in the 600s AND get decent limits if you build your profile well enough. Time heals everything, so you just need to stay focused and on track.                        .

.                                                       .                                                    .

I know this is a long read, but it had been a long time getting to where I am as of this morning. :yahoo:                                              .

.                                                        .                                    .

Outstanding!! Thank you for sharing the details of your amazing success!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A big congratulations!! Also a personal thank you for helping me as well as paying it forward on this wonderful community.

You have just made my morning. I am THRILLED for you and so happy that this long travail is over with. I still have my reinsertion on EQ but for a brief day or three I was there as well and I know how wonderful the feeling is.

Only on here would others know what a significant achievement this is in your life. Your devotion to the board and contributions have also made you a major player on top of your personal success. I am doing a happy dance for you and I know that you just can't take that smile off your face.

Now, when I get back into Chase...

Nice to wake up in the morning and see something positive in the world. Great job!

Awesome work Mendel :)

You were very smart about everything you did from A-Z!

You deserve everything that you've earned.

Congrats!

Congrats. There's no better feeling than being rid of everything. At least in part.

I find your points about building a rewards strategy particularly useful ant poignant mendelsshon.

It seems there is a strong temptation almost, universal here, to apply for every flashy bonus offer that comes on the market. Who wouldn't want to get the historical best sign up bonus for a card, even if you have no idea how you would redeem it. I think there is a tendency to get so many cards that your AAOA and you wallet end up looking like a game of 52 pick up. Ok maybe that's an exaggeration .

But I do think I would be happiest if I had the fewest number of cards that helped me achieve rewards goals with the least complication.

Though your rewards goals may be more complex than mine I've always found your perspective on the process reassuring and I've learned a ton from your blog and posts.

So thank you and congratulations.

You are a CB role model of the highest order.

Salud!

Salud squared!

I was living in Texas when I started here. Now I'm in AZ. But only one item on 2 cras and 2 on the other. Soon, very soon.

Congratulations! I AGREE 1000% on everything you said about reading everything on CB. I do it everyday looking forward to new topics and improving my credit!