Sign in to follow this  
butterflywings

Before I cut the cable cord... a question.

I'd never pay $30/mo to watch NBC or any of its braindead offspring.

Is that the question being asked? I'm sure plenty of people hate paying their cable company for Faux News and its blonde bimbos.

Cord cutting costs can add up as quickly as a cable bill.

Yeah, we found that out. Netflix + Hulu + Sling Tv and still couldn't get some things we wanted. Nevermind the buffering and stalls when Charter internet went to hell. It was less expensive to pay $45/month to DirecTv. (a price they'll hold for the full 2-year contract if you ask them to)

Like somebody said on Twitter today, PlayStation Vue is dope. :wub:

I don't get it, but the picture quality is better on Playstation Vue via our Amazon Fire, than our digital cable. We hooked it up last night, and turned on Live TV and DH and I were shocked at the picture being so crisp and clear. It's great. We are going to keep the local networks with TWC, just the basic cable for $14.00, until Playstation Vue gets the local networks for our area. They have them for several areas, just not ours. I want those channels for our local news and the syndicated shows we get on them. We found out that even with the best of antennas, we can only reach one (Christian) station. So this is the only way to access the channels.

Ok, so our TWC bill has been 156.45, but now we're going to keep the local channels for $14, our Extreme Internet for $60.00, and Playstation Vue $29.99, which gives us a savings of $52.46 a month., with no feelings of losing anything channel-wise or quality of service. :yu:

Oh, and LKH, the last thing dh said to me as I fell asleep was that he downloaded the Kodi Software onto our Amazon Fire TV. Thank you so much again for that suggestion.

Is that the question being asked? I'm sure plenty of people hate paying their cable company for Faux News and its blonde bimbos.

No, that was def not the question being asked.

Fact is that msnbc and fox news are for the most part , opinionated news on their respective ends of each extreme. And the hope is that people are obtaining their news from more than just these two sources :grin:

Cord cutting costs can add up as quickly as a cable bill.

Yeah, we found that out. Netflix + Hulu + Sling Tv and still couldn't get some things we wanted. Nevermind the buffering and stalls when Charter internet went to hell. It was less expensive to pay $45/month to DirecTv. (a price they'll hold for the full 2-year contract if you ask them to)

And then there is the Genie...

One additional piece of good news. :)

I just got back from dropping off all the equipment at TWC, and the woman who works there is always so nice to me. She's been there since 2003 at least, because she was there when dh and I first signed up with TWC. She said let me see if I can give you an even better deal. She did a ton of searching..then she said I can give you that same pkg you were getting for $74, for 69.99, saving us another $4.01, for a total savings now of $56.47.

In the future, if I want to get a decent deal with TWC, I'm just going to go to her, instead of dealing with TWCs 800#.

ETA: She broke down our pkg charges by saying we're paying $49.99 now for the internet, and $20 for the starter cable charges. So I'm paying $6 more for TV, to pay $10 less for internet. lol

Edited by butterflywings

Cord cutting costs can add up as quickly as a cable bill. Cable & internet bundles are discounted even though the total cost seems high. A $150 bundle bill doesn't necessarily translate to a $75 internet only bill. Playstaion Vue is $30 a month. If you purchase other channels, subscriptions, episodes, etc, you may find the savings are as big as expected.

Excellent point on hidden fees and etc. The companies have an interest in not letting their Internet Only customers get over on them left and right, with other services, via their service.

Cord cutting costs can add up as quickly as a cable bill. Cable & internet bundles are discounted even though the total cost seems high. A $150 bundle bill doesn't necessarily translate to a $75 internet only bill. Playstaion Vue is $30 a month. If you purchase other channels, subscriptions, episodes, etc, you may find the savings are as big as expected.

Excellent point on hidden costs. These companies have an interest in not letting their Internet Only customers get over on them left and right, with other services, using their service.

I'd love to cut the cord. I'm going to first try a digital antenna to see how local stations come in. Supposedly we have >40 stations with an antenna, I wonder how many are not in a language I know and/or religious zealots preaching about the end times?

I'd love to cut the cord. I'm going to first try a digital antenna to see how local stations come in. Supposedly we have >40 stations with an antenna, I wonder how many are not in a language I know and/or religious zealots preaching about the end times?

If your experience is like mine, you will be pleasantly surprised at least in terms of picture quality. I was visiting my closest neighbor some months ago (quarter acre away) and she happened to have her TV on. I noted her exceptionally good picture quality and asked what cable service she was using. She used none. Her reception was better than mine--I have FIOS from Verizon. She had a smallish antenna on the wall which she purchased at Walmart. I'm planning on cutting the TV cord in December when my contract is up. I've since learned that over-the-air reception is often better than cable/satellite because there is no compression of signal with resulting artifacts. I did not get a chance to see all the channels she could receive, but she flipped through them and it was "a lot." You certainly get all the broadcast channels, plus "others." Yes, I'm certain that one gets the TV preachers with OTA but certainly no more than I'm getting now with current cable from Verizon. She also receives two Spanish-language channels. The ONE channel I'm going to miss from cable service is Smithsonian.

I want to keep FIOS internet but I'm afraid of what Verizon will charge for that service alone. Yes, they play "gotcha" for that. We'll see.

Good luck with your plans.

I pick up about 50 channels OTA. Of that - about 20% are either in espanol or All Jesus, All the time. The rest besides the network affiliates are pretty cool channels showing some good stuff.

I bought an amazon fire TV box, not the stick, when we were in the process of moving. I finally got around to getting Internet installed about three weeks ago and I'm loving the fire. The interface on it is so much better than the Blu-ray player.