VISA Card Nightmare Please Help

The last post in this topic was posted 2086 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I used my Citibank Visa card and inadvertently went over my credit limit by about 1,200. I've always paid on time and have my chase banking account linked for payments.

Unbeknownst to me Citibank pulled out of my account the difference of my credit limit and over the limit amount of $1,200. I was never notified and just pulled these funds out without any correspondence.

I was charged overdraft fees in excess of 34x5 = $170 since I keep my funds in an interest bearing account and had 5 small check card transactions post that day. I immediately called Citibank demanding they put my funds back and cover the overdraft fees.

They are refusing to cover my overdraft fees and the credit back is taking well over 10 days.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin

Not sure what you can do about it, but one thing I can tell you is to be diligent in knowing your credit limits/balances. $1200 is a lot of money to go over your credit limit inadvertently. I would suggest paying your balance in full each month. That will also increase your score.

Moving to the credit forum.

Anything over the limit has to be paid along with the minimum payment. That's just how it is. If you have auto pay on it will do this automatically which seems to be your case. Not much you can do other than be more careful in the future.

I would suggest adding alerts on your checking account for a minimum balance amount if possible. I get an email anytime my checking gets below $20. (So I know if I am overdrawn or close).

I used my Citibank Visa card and inadvertently went over my credit limit by about 1,200. I've always paid on time and have my chase banking account linked for payments.

Unbeknownst to me Citibank pulled out of my account the difference of my credit limit and over the limit amount of $1,200. I was never notified and just pulled these funds out without any correspondence.

I was charged overdraft fees in excess of 34x5 = $170 since I keep my funds in an interest bearing account and had 5 small check card transactions post that day. I immediately called Citibank demanding they put my funds back and cover the overdraft fees.

They are refusing to cover my overdraft fees and the credit back is taking well over 10 days.

Any advice?

What LKH said. Not keeping track of limits can cause serious issues. Good to start now so when you have more credit cards in future you won't be overwhelmed.

You didn't mention, but you must have enabled automatic payments from your Chase account. If you've enabled automatic payments, there is pretty much zilch you can do. Citibank did no wrong here: they pulled your minimum payment due. When you go over your limit normally your minimum payment is your normal 3% or so PLUS the amount you used over your limit.

Another thing to think about when you have automatic payments set up is using a checking account that has overdraft facilities.

Edited by PotO

And hence the reason NONE of my credit cards are linked my checking accounts, with the exception of BofA to BofA, and Citi to Citigold

I used to avoid automatic payments until ...

... I just happened to notice one card we rarely use had $.99 balance. I freaked because I'm super anal retentive on knowing every detail of every card's use. Looking at the account history I saw every month for the past four months a $0.99 charge and on statement date a $0.99 credit. Seems that USAA waives balances under a certain amount.

But just imagine that they didn't and I ended up with three 30-day lates, 60-day late and a 90-day late all over $0.99 balances.

The $0.99 monthly charges were from wife's iCloud storage she forget to tell me she signed up for.

Moral of the story:

1. Physical violence is always an option. But so is prison. I don't like Chinese food so better to stay out of Chinese prison.

2. Auto pay everything with Navy and have that account backed up with NavCheck.

I check all of my accounts daily. It doesn't take that long, and it gives me peace of mind.

There's so much wrong with this picture.

OP didn't have a clue what their CC utilization was. Obviously doesn't have account alerts activated for CC or checking account. Didn't pay attention to how linked CC/bank accounts work.

But looks like it's going to be a drive by post anyways...

go into your branch chase office and beg nicely to consolidate your od charges, explain some reason that you were over by $1200, explain ignorance of understanding that your checking account would be debited, and don't blame the bank,blame yourself. It MIGHT help but you don't say what your credit line is that you went over by $1200 or if anyone is an AU or if there was a pending charge that did this. you lack a LOT of info in your post.

Banks will usually waive one fee if it's the first. If you get a really sympathetic person they may waive all of them, but it's unlikely. You also should settle the balance due because if you don't they may keep charging the fee until you do.

I'm sure they alerted you about the funds transfer. Check your messages on the website. You should also get a hard copy letter in the mail.

I had a similar issue with Citibank moving funds to cover a PayPal charge. My funding source is a checking account that I only use for Paypal with backup source being credit. Citibank moved the funds so I inadvertently paid by checking instead of credit as I preferred when I zeroed out the checking account.

It was my fault for not changing the funding source via PayPal to credit. Instead, I relied on the credit backup option.

There were no fees though since that account isn't used beyond Paypal.

Any advice?

You must have inadvertently okayed "auto" payments, otherwise this would not have happened. I would suggest getting something like Quicken or Mint .. and track your spending so this doesn't happen again. Going over 1200 is a lot .............. are you sure all of the charges are yours? :( what a mess.

I check all of my accounts daily. It doesn't take that long, and it gives me peace of mind.

I used to do that about 70 accounts ago.

Now I rely mostly on accounting software.

Heh...I feel ya...fortunately, I only have to check about 20 accounts right now, and many of them are from the same issuers, so it's easier. :grin:

Up to over 40 accounts right now. Do bills pay biweekly so checking them all at about that interval. I need to shave some accounts.

Yeah, I need to cull the herd, too, but rather by consolidating multiple lines within each issuer.

Heh...I feel ya...fortunately, I only have to check about 20 accounts right now, and many of them are from the same issuers, so it's easier. :grin:

I check all 15 of my accounts twice weekly. Like TampaDude said it only takes a few minutes and it is peace of mind.

My CU offers something similar to Mint. I check it every night before I go to bed. It also includes other features, like budget, net worth, goals, debts with various snowball options and I can login to a bank or credit website directly thru the app. App for phones, plus full website, love it.

I check all 15 of my accounts twice weekly. Like TampaDude said it only takes a few minutes and it is peace of mind.

When you are significantly north of 100 at more than three dozen different lenders, your "few minutes" is a myth.

Then we have quite a few members here who leave me in the dust. Take Ron1, for example, if he were to check each account twice weekly he'd have to quit his day job.

When you are significantly north of 100 at more than three dozen different lenders, your "few minutes" is a myth.

Then we have quite a few members here who leave me in the dust. Take Ron1, for example, if he were to check each account twice weekly he'd have to quit his day job.

Hi PotO, I'm curious what accounting software you prefer?

The last post in this topic was posted 2086 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.