Talk to me about Lasik

The last post in this topic was posted 1891 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I am trying to work up the courage to have eye surgery early next year (February-ish). I don't know if they'll even consider me a good candidate or not since I'm prone to fainting, but I'm going to try since I'm tired of not being able to see.

Any tips/advice? Some questions I have are.........should I get one eye done and wait for a while, then go for the other eye, just in case something goes wrong? I know I want the bladeless type of surgery rather than a blade. Is it charged per eye or as a pair? How much should I expect to pay? Anything you can tell me that won't make me gag and pass out.........

• Admin

Do them both at once. If you qualify for LASIK rather than PRK (both use lasers, I don't know that they use the blades any more do they?), you'll be in an out of the surgical suite in 10 minutes, and pretty much healed within a couple of days. PRK just makes longer actual healing time.

They will give you lots of Xanax before you go in, and my surgeon gave me a stuffy to hold :lol:

I had PRK two years ago, I didn't feel a thing during the procedure, I just had to focus on a green dot (maybe it was red, I can't remember) while they put some drops in my eyes and then used the laser. Then they gave me an Ambien (plus a couple more to take home) and sent me home to sleep for the rest of the day. Easy peasy.

Was it expensive??

I technically still have 20/20 vision but I can't see anything right in front of my fave. I can spot a piece of lint 2 miles away however. Seems like the day I turned 40.....ummm I mean 27, my vision just went to crap.

I hate wearing glasses.

Can't they correct for up close vision now? I was thinking of getting mine touched up because I need cheaters to read. I had mine done oh, about 10 years ago or so. The one thing I would suggest is to NOT go for the cheapest...find out who's the best and get it done by them. Vision is far too valuable to try to save a few bucks

Before Lasik, GF's vision was so bad that if she forgot exactly where she left her glasses it would take forever to find them. She couldn't see them unless they were within a few feet. She got Lasik over 10 years ago and she can still drive w/o glasses. She wishes she had done it earlier.

I tried to get Lasik back in October of 2007. I went in for the initial appointment to test my eyes etc, and the eye surgeon was examining my eyes up close and said why are your pupils so large? He said it in an almost accusatory manner. I said I have no idea why, I didn't even know they were large to begin with. He said are you on any drugs? I said no. He said wait a minute, and he brought in the other surgeon and the first guy said to him look at her pupils, which he did, and he laughed and said are you sure you aren't taking anything? I was LIVID. I said I'm not taking any drugs! I also told them I didn't think anything was funny. They both told me that my pupils were way too large and that I would basically have halos the rest of my life.

One of my husband's former coworkers had the surgery and he had dry eyes for like a year afterwords and then both of his retinas detached and he went blind. It was a very sad story, because he had loved his job, but he had to quit work and go on disability, and it ruined his life. I'm not saying this is a common occurrence, but it did happen.

As recently as a year ago, I was told they still can't fix the need for cheaters.

That's why I wear contacts. Monovision. One eye sees up close the other sees far away. Too chicken for lasik

I've tried that Marv. Works well with corrected distance vision in one eye EXCEPT when I drive. For me, depth perception is not good with one lens. I had a close call once in the Publix parking lot--never again. I clearly misjudged distance. I'm very nearsighted in both eyes. No correction needed for reading, close work. Legally blind for distance vision.

I tried to get Lasik back in October of 2007. I went in for the initial appointment to test my eyes etc, and the eye surgeon was examining my eyes up close and said why are your pupils so large? He said it in an almost accusatory manner. I said I have no idea why, I didn't even know they were large to begin with. He said are you on any drugs? I said no. He said wait a minute, and he brought in the other surgeon and the first guy said to him look at her pupils, which he did, and he laughed and said are you sure you aren't taking anything? I was LIVID. I said I'm not taking any drugs! I also told them I didn't think anything was funny. They both told me that my pupils were way too large and that I would basically have halos the rest of my life.

One of my husband's former coworkers had the surgery and he had dry eyes for like a year afterwords and then both of his retinas detached and he went blind. It was a very sad story, because he had loved his job, but he had to quit work and go on disability, and it ruined his life. I'm not saying this is a common occurrence, but it did happen.

Ugh. I'm getting anxious just reading this.

Do retinas detach because of the dry eyes, or because of the surgery?

See..........it's things like that that make me consider one eye at a time in case something goes wrong. Do one first, wait a year, then do the other if everything is kosher.

As recently as a year ago, I was told they still can't fix the need for cheaters.

That's why I wear contacts. Monovision. One eye sees up close the other sees far away. Too chicken for lasik

I've tried that Marv. Works well with corrected distance vision in one eye EXCEPT when I drive. For me, depth perception is not good with one lens. I had a close call once in the Publix parking lot--never again. I clearly misjudged distance. I'm very nearsighted in both eyes. No correction needed for reading, close work. Legally blind for distance vision.

DW did that for a while. She said it worked but was just weird. She eventually went back to regular contacts and cheaters.

I think I'd get dizzy and puke :)

See..........it's things like that that make me consider one eye at a time in case something goes wrong. Do one first, wait a year, then do the other if everything is kosher.

One patch is much better than disability!

The last post in this topic was posted 1891 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.