Citi app issue

The last post in this topic was posted 1823 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I applied yesterday for an AAdvantage card and was told online it was declined. I figured maybe as I had a fraud alert that it just needed to be addressed as I didn't expect any type of automated approval with a FA in place.

Well I see on my alerts that they pulled my EXPERIAN. a clean report with low 700s and oldest account being 31 years and AAA being 7. Now my Equifax is frozen because I have a credit union I will be dealing with later in the summer and my banker there says he would prefer not to see Any inquires when I go to do that business.

So I get this email this morning from Citi stating that my application is pending and processing has been halted because they need my Equifax to be unlocked. Something I am not willing to do. And as they just pulled the Experian I am not interested in them double pulling anyway. So I call the number on the email and explain they already pulled my Experian so I dont think they should need to pull the EQ. The rep tells me they Never pulled my experian and have no credit report to look at. I went through two reps who swear they did not pull Experian (even though I am looking at today's fresh Experian report that says Citi on it) and need me to unlock Equifax if they are to complete processing.

If anything I'd like the Experian pull removed if they claim so much they never did it. the rep gives me the address of the executive response, office of the president PO box is SD to mail my complaint to so they can hopefully deal with that. But I went to two different reps who claim the Experian report was never pulled and they don't have that report in their system.

the number I called was 1-888-201-4523.

Are there other numbers to try to attempt to get this clarified? Kind of sucks they tossed a hard experian on me and supposedly dont even have the data to show for it.

I can understand if they had simply just pulled Equifax and sent that email and I would have just chalked it up as no harm, no foul since it was frozen.

I tried applying with Chase 3 times this week and they keep pulling Equifax, and the reps say they can't process unless its unlocked, or to try applying again and maybe the luck of the dray will pull a different CRA. I think after 3 tries I'm done applying with chase as they seem bent on 'randomly' pulling EQ. And they refuse to pull a different one.

​Anyway, thanks for any input. EQ is just not going to be an option to unlock though as my local credit union manager was very emphatic and didn't want me to jeopardize a future loan app that I will do in the early summer.

That must be one hell of a CU to care so much about not wanting inquiries on EQ. I guess it does not care about new accounts? (which have a much larger impact on score).

If you don't want Citi or Chase, don't apply unless you're willing to comply with requests to access your credit reports.

What is so special about the CU to go through all this? really curious. thanks.

It sounds like you are in a similar situation to where I live.

By default, Citi and Chase both like to double-pull EX and EQ. This all varies by region mind you, but your situation is identical to mine.

I can freeze EX and give Citi/Chase EQ-only and they will approve all day long. HOWEVER,

If Citi only gets an EX pull - it results in a denial due to EQ being frozen AND a worthless hard on EX. I had no recourse (which doesn't help your situation)

If Chase only gets an EX pull - they won't even hard pull but I get a denial due to EQ being frozen. Too bad Citi doesn't do this.....

Your best recourse at this point would be to speak to someone at the office in SD. There is a number linked in the recon thread in my signature. If you can't pull it up, I'll post it here later (or someone else will beat me to it). Good luck!

For what it's worth, I was able to get the SD office (aka exec office) to pull TU for a CLI request after much back and forth with them trying to pull EQ only.

For the credit union - even if you can avoid inqs, you're still going to have a new account show up on EQ that will need to be explained, perhaps that isn't an issue.

Well, the credit union is a smaller one I have banked with. And while a couple extra accounts I am told (by said manager) won't bug them, he said his board prefers not to see any inquiries on the EQ for at Least 6 months prior. I know, it doesn't make a ton of sense given they won't hang me to dry for a couple new credit card accounts. I have not prodded too hard on it with them since it just happens to be one of those small independent lenders who sets forth their own strange, and sometimes contradicting criteria. But I very much wish to be doing business with them at that time, so I will leave it at that.

Yes, it seemed apparent Citi wanted to double pull, and I would have gladly taken a double pull off EX and TU if they wanted it that way. But given my limitations, at this time, I suppose Citi and Chase are not in the cards. It's just frustrating that both reps failed to admit they pulled Experian and stated they had No credit info in front of them to use.

I did find one number to the Executive office, but it seemed to be a voicemail identifying themselves as the executive office, please leave a message. Is that an appropriate action or is it pretty much going to be something that will get ignored? Not that I expect any positive resolution anyway if they are to insist on the double pull.

Anyway, I do get more mileage from my various credit union relationships and I will concede that ultimately I don't need an account if I am not willing to let the creditor access the report their system selects. Just bad luck of the draw for which CRA they wish to take. But there are bigger losses than a $5-20K credit card compared to a lender who might be illogical and nitpick over things as silly as wanting No inquiries in the 6 months before app, but accounts newer than 6 months are ok. Makes no sense, but I have to play their game. I had simply hoped Citi and Chase would have been content with either of the other two CRAs. thanks

Well, the credit union is a smaller one I have banked with. And while a couple extra accounts I am told (by said manager) won't bug them, he said his board prefers not to see any inquiries on the EQ for at Least 6 months prior. I know, it doesn't make a ton of sense given they won't hang me to dry for a couple new credit card accounts. I have not prodded too hard on it with them since it just happens to be one of those small independent lenders who sets forth their own strange, and sometimes contradicting criteria. But I very much wish to be doing business with them at that time, so I will leave it at that.

Yes, it seemed apparent Citi wanted to double pull, and I would have gladly taken a double pull off EX and TU if they wanted it that way. But given my limitations, at this time, I suppose Citi and Chase are not in the cards. It's just frustrating that both reps failed to admit they pulled Experian and stated they had No credit info in front of them to use.

I did find one number to the Executive office, but it seemed to be a voicemail identifying themselves as the executive office, please leave a message. Is that an appropriate action or is it pretty much going to be something that will get ignored? Not that I expect any positive resolution anyway if they are to insist on the double pull.

Anyway, I do get more mileage from my various credit union relationships and I will concede that ultimately I don't need an account if I am not willing to let the creditor access the report their system selects. Just bad luck of the draw for which CRA they wish to take. But there are bigger losses than a $5-20K credit card compared to a lender who might be illogical and nitpick over things as silly as wanting No inquiries in the 6 months before app, but accounts newer than 6 months are ok. Makes no sense, but I have to play their game. I had simply hoped Citi and Chase would have been content with either of the other two CRAs. thanks

Call 605-331-1698 for a live person at the EO....if you want to try to push it. They are very polite and professional.

The last post in this topic was posted 1823 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.