Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

best way to establish new credit?

Asking for a friend...in case of a need to move quickly to Canada. What is the best first steps to start new credit up north?

Asking for a friend...in case of a need to move quickly to Canada. What is the best first steps to start new credit up north?

Would this move happen on November 9th?

by January 2017...

My suggestions for your friend: Try for some store cards like The Bay and Canadian Tire. Establish a banking relationship, like at RBC Royal Bank. RBC, TD and BMO also have U.S. banking operations. They might be able to start you with a secured Canadian card. They can query your U.S. credit history (like Trans Union). I suggest getting a Canadian social insurance number first, if you don't already have one. Another suggestion is don't close your U.S. bank accounts (see if you can keep your credit cards open too). This way you're covered on both sides of the border.

Edited by Burgerwars

by January 2017...

It took me a few minutes to figure this out. Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia is welcoming U.S. citizens. A co-worker of mine I caught browsing Google images of Justin Trudeau. They have a handsome PM.

by January 2017...

It took me a few minutes to figure this out. Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia is welcoming U.S. citizens. A co-worker of mine I caught browsing Google images of Justin Trudeau. They have a handsome PM.

I've always wanted to visit Nova Scotia. :wave:

it's pretty @#$% cold in the winter I hear.

Beautiful in the summer though.

last time there was in influx of southerners was 1776 or therabouts...

by January 2017...

I've always wanted to visit Nova Scotia. :wave:

it's pretty @#$% cold in the winter I hear.

Beautiful in the summer though.

last time there was in influx of southerners was 1776 or therabouts...

Hear hear! Nova Scotian here.

It's finally getting warm enough to only need one winter jacket. Gives a new meaning to thawing a credit report..

In Canada there are a couple of ways to establish credit:

Alot of major banks offer a "Newcomer Banking Program" for new immigrants, it usually includes a credit card, but the limits are low.

Unlike the US, Canadian banks offer secured cards across their product line of credit cards. So if you wanted a Visa Infinite Card you can get one and secure it. There is also the credit union option, Capital One, and sub-prime banks that offer secured cards as well. But you best bet is the major banks.

Link to information on Canadian Secured Cards:

http://canada.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/secured-card-perks-1264.php

Here is a link to TD Canada Trust:

https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/credit-cards/building-your-credit.jsp

Edited by dvd

In Canada there are a couple of ways to establish credit:

Alot of major banks offer a "Newcomer Banking Program" for new immigrants, it usually includes a credit card, but the limits are low.

Unlike the US, Canadian banks offer secured cards across their product line of credit cards. So if you wanted a Visa Infinite Card you can get one and secure it. There is also the credit union option, Capital One, and sub-prime banks that offer secured cards as well. But you best bet is the major banks.

Link to information on Canadian Secured Cards:

http://canada.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/secured-card-perks-1264.php

Here is a link to TD Canada Trust:

https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/credit-cards/building-your-credit.jsp

Great! thanks for the info. Looking at BC or Banff.

LOL you cannot just MOVE to canada!! You have to have a substantial amount of money in your bank to live here for a maximum of six months. If you want to be a landed immigrant, it will cost you about 5,000 plus almost a year waiting and...some one needs to sponsor you unless a employer deems he cannot find anyone in the country to hire, and sponsors you.