AMAZON OR PRIME CARD

The last post in this topic was posted 2040 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I (or rather my DH through me :blush2: ) am very interested in app'ing for Amazon card. I have been a PRIME MEMBER FOR 2+Years and constantly get the offer on my shopping cart, though I am waiting for the $80 gift card not the $20, or the meager $5 they keep switching between. Why on earth they think $5 is going to get someone to app for their card.... I am going to get th $29 3B FICO scores starting mid march. just don't want to get quarterly ficos until my CLI's and updated balances show in about a month. Current CK Vantage 3.0 (FAKO) is 734 TU and 724 EQ, though should go to 760+ after new balances and CLI's report. I understand these are not ficos, so could be hit or miss, but I was wondering what kind of score, or instances would make getting the Amazon card a sure thing (or as close as one can get)? Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and help.

MY STORY: My husband (DH) has the good credit ( I take care of it for him 'cause he's a hardworking man B) , I have no credit (not bad, just no tls *I do not like credit. Think it is unfair and a lot like the "company store". If you don't have it; credit/good credit= you pay more and if you can afford to pay more, you usually have it; credit/good credit=, so you pay less and it bothers me, can't help it) but recently *5 days ago* I decided to jump into the fray. I understand that you have to have credit to get through life (still unfair) but what can you do? Learned it when we got our first car years ago and again when we got our house. Our kids are going to be on their own before we know it, and I want to be ready to help them the way our (DH and I)'s parents didn't know to.) These credit boards have been a saving grace for my family, and I can't thank you all enough for your insight and information you give out.

Edited by mother.jeni

The scores you see aren't hit or miss. They just aren't scores that most lenders use. FICO 9 is a 'FICO score', but no one uses it (yet).

I recommend the $1 trial from Credit Check Total. It will give you your EQ-08, EX-08, and TU-08 scores, which are common among lenders and can also be used to ballpark your EQ/EX/TU-04 scores. If you want all 28 FICO model scores, check the MyFico discounts thread if you haven't already.

I think you are referring to two different products. There's the Amazon and Amazon Prime cards by Synchrony, and there's the Amazon Visa by Chase. The former is the one that gets you 0% financing and gives you the option of 5% off of most purchases if you're a Prime member. The latter gets you 3% off at Amazon and tends to give up to an $80 gift card on sign-up depending on a few factors.

You may already qualify for the Amazon store cards, but this will depend on the actual tradelines you have on your reports. If you can give a clearer picture of what you already have, it will be easier for people to give advice.

EDIT: Formatting, clarification

Edited by illusemycreditcard

I recently added the Chase Visa and took advantage of the $80.00 credit. I know that Sync will grant cli's a lot more than Chase ever will and with softs at that. But I too am a prime member and still get the 3%. With the $80 vs. $20 credit, I would have to buy a lot more to make us the savings.

YMMV. But it may be easier for you to get the SYNC product.

Good luck!

Current CK Vantage 3.0 (FAKO) is 734 TU and 724 EQ, though should go to 760+ after new balances and CLI's report. I understand these are not ficos, so could be hit or miss, but I was wondering what kind of score, or instances would make getting the Amazon card a sure thing (or as close as one can get)?

As stated above they're not hit-or-miss. They're Vantagescores. You can't use them to determine your scores generated by other models. They're only relevant to creditors that use a TU or EQ Vantagescore 3.0. AFAIK they're not used for the Amazon Store Card.

It's never just about score but you can refer to the Credit Pulls Database. There's a link in the blue bar near the top of every page on this site.

I have no credit (not bad, just no tls *I do not like credit. Think it is unfair and a lot like the "company store". If you don't have it; credit/good credit= you pay more and if you can afford to pay more, you usually have it

Don't conflate money and credit. They're not the same thing. Money can help but it does not guarantee good credit. There are plenty with money and poor credit. There are plenty with not much money and good credit. And other variations.

Edited by takeshi

The scores you see aren't hit or miss. They just aren't scores that most lenders use. FICO 9 is a 'FICO score', but no one uses it (yet).

I recommend the $1 trial from Credit Check Total. It will give you your EQ-08, EX-08, and TU-08 scores, which are common among lenders and can also be used to ballpark your EQ/EX/TU-04 scores. If you want all 28 FICO model scores, check the MyFico discounts thread if you haven't already.

I think you are referring to two different products. There's the Amazon and Amazon Prime cards by Synchrony, and there's the Amazon Visa by Chase. The former is the one that gets you 0% financing and gives you the option of 5% off of most purchases if you're a Prime member. The latter gets you 3% off at Amazon and tends to give up to an $80 gift card on sign-up depending on a few factors.

You may already qualify for the Amazon store cards, but this will depend on the actual tradelines you have on your reports. If you can give a clearer picture of what you already have, it will be easier for people to give advice.

EDIT: Formatting, clarification

Ok. Wow. Thanks for pointing out the multiple Amazon cards, I had no idea. I have a mortgage since 2012, a car loan from 2006 paid off in 2010. A personal loan from Nov. 2015 small-2K And 3 tl's from June 2015 (that was my firs app spree) 2 are $0 balance and another has balance. UTL is 15%, but got a CLI on one card (one with balance) but not showing yet, and probably won't until first week in March, should take UTL to under 10%. Current CLs are 2K, 1K, 3K-increased to 5K.

By "hit or miss" I only meant that sometimes (certain situations, etc...) the Vantage and FICO are close, and in others; way way off (like 100 points from what I have read on these boards) Thanks again soooo much for your insight.

Current CK Vantage 3.0 (FAKO) is 734 TU and 724 EQ, though should go to 760+ after new balances and CLI's report. I understand these are not ficos, so could be hit or miss, but I was wondering what kind of score, or instances would make getting the Amazon card a sure thing (or as close as one can get)?

As stated above they're not hit-or-miss. They're Vantagescores. You can't use them to determine your scores generated by other models. They're only relevant to creditors that use a TU or EQ Vantagescore 3.0. AFAIK they're not used for the Amazon Store Card.

It's never just about score but you can refer to the Credit Pulls Database. There's a link in the blue bar near the top of every page on this site.

I have no credit (not bad, just no tls *I do not like credit. Think it is unfair and a lot like the "company store". If you don't have it; credit/good credit= you pay more and if you can afford to pay more, you usually have it

Don't conflate money and credit. They're not the same thing. Money can help but it does not guarantee good credit. There are plenty with money and poor credit. There are plenty with not much money and good credit. And other variations.

You are right, I did not state that well. I understand they are not the same thing. From my own experience and from others on this board , as well as life in general; It seems wrong to me to have a person who has paid cash their whole life, no matter their situation, have to pay an outrageous APR on things like a loan and or credit card just because they have never used credit prior(borrowed money they don't have); and on the reverse even: gotten credit-borrowed cause they really needed it, but couldn't pay, or carries a balance, and still has to pay more because of that... I grew up in the 80's-90's when things were inflated and then crashed and everybody was hurt. So I never wanted to have anything to do with credit. I used to think you only got it if you needed it, and it was better if you didn't cause when you used it, you ended up paying more. After finding this sight about 7 years ago, though I didn't actually become a member until 2012, I began to understand that you can get it (borrow many you DO have), and only use it if you can PIF, and that was a GREAT KNOWLEDGE to me, and is why my husband and I don't have to stress about money quite so much. So I didn't mean to offend anyone, it was just my "sight" that was scewed. But thanks to every on this sight, my opinion is slowly changing. Thank you. Again, didn't mean to offend.

I too have been thinking about getting the Prime Card for the 5% discount because I've been a Prime member for a while and order thousands of dollars worth of stuff every year.

However, I realized that the way I've been using Prime has actually given me a better deal. I buy Amazon gift cards from Krogers and get 2X fuel points which is equal to a 7% discount. Add to that my 1.5% cash back on my CC and I'm getting a 8.5% discount. However, I do have to take 3 empty gas cans with me to hold the extra gas I buy when I redeem my fuel points. But I just bought 35 gallons of gas (the max) for only 52 cents a gallon.

Another thing you may want to consider is getting a Lowes card instead and buy Amazon cards from Lowes for a 5% discount. There are many retailers that carry Amazon gift cards, so you may already have a store card that sells Amazon gift cards and gives you a discount.

OK, so I have not yet app'd for the AMAZON yet. And I am glad not, because we just got an AUTO LOAN! :yahoo: Super excited. Posted in TODAYS APPROVALS -Auto Finance Section: https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=313924&p=5430677 Super excited. Been needing to buy bigger V8 Vehicle to pull our Camper. Could hardly believe it when approved. This site has been such a BLESSING! Love you guys (in a purely platonic way of course) :blush2:

Would still like to get AMAZON card, but not sure if I should now. Had multiple hits on Equifax, some on Experian too. Score only went down a few points so far, since we were "shopping for best rate" but when the loan gets posted, I expect a huge drop to credit score. Should I go for it now, or wait for a while? Advice please. I'm not getting Chase. Have them and they are pain in the butt and stingy on CLI.

-Think I have 6-7 inquiries on EQ(3 new from loan) and 3 on TU (2 new -1 from loan), and 5 on EXP (1 new from loan) other inquiries were all 6/2015 with like one 10/2015 on EXP

*edited to add in inquiries. AAOA pretty new at less than 2 years.

Edited by mother.jeni

No other cards. Done for now. Really want to let the accounts age, and get the balances down on the Installment Loans a little more. Only thing coming up is CLI again with BofA in 4-6 months if conditions are right. They have been awesome. 2 CLI's since opening 06/2015. And they were who originally Approved the Auto Loan with good APR IMO. Expected at least 7%, heck our RV loan last year was for 9% and Fico was almost 100 points higher :( Just interested in AMAZON since we buy there ALOT. Coul dwait till around Christmas though if they offer something better then.?.

Hmm

Grats on the car. Wait 60-90 days and go for the store card. Your hp's will reflect as one, these guys can tell that you were auto shopping. Keep us informed.

What is the purpose of waiting to get the card? By then the loan will report. Does Synchrony not like recent inquiries?

I don't see the sense in waiting. Scores might tank with a new auto loan. Also, Amazon store card pulls TU so that's where the new inquiry will land.

Amazon store card is not hard to get if u want it get it now before loan reports. :wave:

Yeah, that was my fear as well. Once the loan shows, it will drop scores at least 20 points, probably 30 or so. I guess it can't hurt too much to apply now. I just don't want to hurt my chances to apply later, like next year. Never heard of Synchrony until researching Amazon Card. Don't know how they are about re-applying... Wondering if they will offer same perks for sign-up if already tried. Ya know?

Edited by mother.jeni

There are no perks or sign up bonuses for this card. If you have Amazon Prime you get a 5% statement credit, that's as good as it's ever going to get. If you're like me, the cash back on the card will more than cover the cost of a prime membership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too have been thinking about getting the Prime Card for the 5% discount because I've been a Prime member for a while and order thousands of dollars worth of stuff every year.

However, I realized that the way I've been using Prime has actually given me a better deal. I buy Amazon gift cards from Krogers and get 2X fuel points which is equal to a 7% discount. Add to that my 1.5% cash back on my CC and I'm getting a 8.5% discount. However, I do have to take 3 empty gas cans with me to hold the extra gas I buy when I redeem my fuel points. But I just bought 35 gallons of gas (the max) for only 52 cents a gallon.

Another thing you may want to consider is getting a Lowes card instead and buy Amazon cards from Lowes for a 5% discount. There are many retailers that carry Amazon gift cards, so you may already have a store card that sells Amazon gift cards and gives you a discount.

The gas station that my local Ralphs (Kroger subsidiary) fuel rewards are redeemed at, is typically 30-50¢ more per gallon than the local discount gas, and at least 50¢ / gallon more than Costco where I normally get gas. So even with the 20¢/gallon discount, they're still not competitive. Is the price more competitive where you are, or are you getting a similar false savings?

The gas station that my local Ralphs (Kroger subsidiary) fuel rewards are redeemed at, is typically 30-50¢ more per gallon than the local discount gas, and at least 50¢ / gallon more than Costco where I normally get gas. So even with the 20¢/gallon discount, they're still not competitive. Is the price more competitive where you are, or are you getting a similar false savings?

No where I'm at (Georgia) Kroger actually has the lowest gas prices. So when Kroger offers 4X fuel points on gift cards, I'll buy a $250 Amazon card (or a mix of cards) which gives me 1,000 points or $1.00 off per gallon.

Last week gas was down to $1.50 per gallon at Kroger and I saved $1 per gallon so I was able to buy gas for only 50 cents per gallon. I always take empty gas cans so I can buy the max amount which is 35 gallons. I fueled up the mini van (20 gallons) and took home an extra 15 gallons of gas for only $17.50 total.

The last post in this topic was posted 2040 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.