Sign in to follow this  
timetoriseATL

Apartment App Declined. Have 54 days to find a place to live

I appreciate all the feedback and advise. To address a few questions:

I receive $425 in Child Support, it's not court ordered and is paid irregularly. We went to mediation in August and support will be court order within few months, $800/ month. I was laid off in 2010 at that time I was single, no kids; income was $67K. I had a condo and car loan and paid min on student loans, BOA Visa, BOA Amex, Citi Card, Delta Amex and personal loan from my credit union.

After being laid off Amex closed; paid, my Delta card and BOA CC and mortgage where all in collections before I attempted a short sale. House was sold on court house steps- purchased by the individual who put a contract on the short sale. After 28 months of not working I took a sales job making $48K for one year and then $24K the following plus commission. I did not do well in that job and made $30K that 2013. My paychecks were being garnished and to stop that I filed BK. I didn't have any savings.

2014 I changed jobs making $55K and BK was discharged; received a raise a year later $63K. Did not open any new accts and students loans were nearing default. 2015 I was promoted and income is $70K plus a side hustle to pay my son's daycare is roughly $16K (the side hustle income, not daycare); thus $86K income.

My Cap One Auto loan APR is 12.58%. I will pay off the Cap One CC today. Everything else was included in BK but some accts are just showing closed. My monthly expenses are high b/c I live 40 miles away from work and gas alone is $400, car note is $579 and Car Insurance is $181.

I never learned to budget my money and live paycheck to paycheck except of emergency fund and savings in my 401K which is less than 5K. I am thinking positively that I can turn this ship around. Going to look at renting from individual homeowner.

**Question** Will freezing EX and EQ permit me from applying for an apartment or home? The place I'm in now pulled and reported through TU.

Thanks again for advice.

If grammar and brevity is what you're looking for... I'm not your best focus ;)

Maybe, but that was some great info!

OP should have no problem finding another place soon with an $86K annual income. A hefty deposit or a couple months' rent up front generally soothes the worries of a potential landlord.

OP should have no problem finding another place soon with an $86K annual income. A hefty deposit or a couple months' rent up front generally soothes the worries of a potential landlord.

Having money does provide more options in life.

Unfortunately it sounds like the OP doesn't have those "months up front" to spare as they "live paycheck to paycheck" because money management is an issue.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect tax returns at that level of income.

Do you mean tax credits?

"Robin hood" credits, it's all the same.

TU is generally pulled except in NYC where its EX because NYC is tough all around. In the building I am in, you need a MINIMUM 700 to apply and they want 750 and, wait, 35X the rent in income. I am not kidding. It is not a top building and it is way over at 89th and First Ave with a check cashing place a block away. Atlanta is a dream world compared to NYC, Manhattan.

I still think that paying off the CapOne and getting AU on some good cards of a friend would raise that score very quickly and if she can freeze the EQ and EX, she might pull it off. Also she might shorten her commute, traffic is a mouse in Atlanta. I used to live there in high school but I still go back from time to time.

Good luck, thank goodness you have a little time.

We have a lot of NY/NJ transplants here in NC. Universal complaint about back home.......cost of living.

place is all done, affordable tho a little small for two. We lucked out because he moved from a rent stabilized apt in same building and this apt had been rent stabilized so they brought rent up by complete renovation.

I have lived 42 years in Manhattan, 39 of them in a rent controlled (vs. stabilized) apt that would have been 5 or 6 times what I paid. But honestly, I was treated like dirt under their fingernails and I had to sue them finally for breaching basic tenant requirements. Was able to get a lot of loot from the lawsuit but they put me on a tenant BL, another lovely item of NYC living.

place is all done, affordable tho a little small for two. We lucked out because he moved from a rent stabilized apt in same building and this apt had been rent stabilized so they brought rent up by complete renovation.

I have lived 42 years in Manhattan, 39 of them in a rent controlled (vs. stabilized) apt that would have been 5 or 6 times what I paid. But honestly, I was treated like dirt under their fingernails and I had to sue them finally for breaching basic tenant requirements. Was able to get a lot of loot from the lawsuit but they put me on a tenant BL, another lovely item of NYC living.

What's the difference in rent control and rent stabilized MizLiz?

Unfortunately it sounds like the OP doesn't have those "months up front" to spare as they "live paycheck to paycheck" because money management is an issue.

At $86K per year, that's about $5K take home per month. Surely she can come up with a few thousand over the next month and a half, or is there something I'm missing?

Holy moly! I seriously can't imagine the cost of living in NYC. I don't imagine ordinary service personnel like ems, fire, police, nursing staff, etc are ever able to afford to own something.

Depending on where in Atlanta metro your looking to rent there are some options. Douglasville has a NSP program where they purchase properties and either sell or lease. Dekalb also has a similar program. Cobb, and Fulton county have resources as well. I am not home so no access to the detailed info but will be glad to get it for you. Not sure about Douglasville income limits but Cobb, Dekalb, Fulton I think you can make it under the cut off. Credit is not an issue with these programs and they work with you to get your budget under control and let you pay deposits in installments. Like I said not sure about the income limits but it never hurts to ask

For

What's the difference in rent control and rent stabilized MizLiz?

http://www.nakedapartments.com/guides/nyc/renting-in-new-york-city/rent-regulation better than what I could write...