Sign in to follow this  
mrjuggalo9er

guide to Capital one & the 2fer deal is dead

Couple questions

* a few months ago there was a thread floating around about Cap 1 now needing all 3 bureaus thawed. Is this the case? Or can I still have EQ or EX frozen?

* I have a big bill to pay on Dec 16. If I apply and am approved for a Venture card on Dec 15, will they tell me my card number over the phone, or SM it to me?

* My last Venture was approved on June 14, 2017. I assume 6 months + 1 day is enough for the six months between approval requirement, yes?

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Cheers, MP

Couple questions

* a few months ago there was a thread floating around about Cap 1 now needing all 3 bureaus thawed. Is this the case? Or can I still have EQ or EX frozen?

* I have a big bill to pay on Dec 16. If I apply and am approved for a Venture card on Dec 15, will they tell me my card number over the phone, or SM it to me?

* My last Venture was approved on June 14, 2017. I assume 6 months + 1 day is enough for the six months between approval requirement, yes?

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Cheers, MP

IIRC with CapOne it takes some time between the approval and shipping the card. Three to seven days.

Link to a post at MyFICO on an explanation of why a CapOne credit card issued to a "dirty file" will never grow like one issued to a "clean file" -- subprime credit lines are owned by a different group of investors than prime credit lines, and CapOne benefits by issuing cards to subprime borrowers and having those borrowers become prime, which improves the aggregate credit score of the subprime borrower group, thereby making the group appear to be less risky.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Card-Asset-Backed-Securities-ABS-and-why-some-subprime/td-p/5083619

and

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-Secured-Card-Just-Won-t-Upgrade/td-p/5082362/page/2

MP

Edited by moneypyts

On Dec 1, 2017, I wrote
"* My last Venture was approved on June 14, 2017. I assume 6 months + 1 day is enough for the six months between approval requirement, yes? "

Report -- denied for a new Venture card at 6 mos + 1 day after previous approval. Usual reasons given (including too much outstanding debt on existing credit card accounts). I figure I'll wait a couple months before trying again, when I'll have a chunk of the total balances paid off, so as not to burden my reports with too many hard pulls.

I didn't think to apply for the new 3% Savor dining card on the same day after denied for the Venture. A realized $150 Sign Up Bonus now is better than the possibility of a $500 or $400 SUB at some point in the future, I figure...

MP

On Dec 1, 2017, I wrote

"* My last Venture was approved on June 14, 2017. I assume 6 months + 1 day is enough for the six months between approval requirement, yes? "

Report -- denied for a new Venture card at 6 mos + 1 day after previous approval. Usual reasons given (including too much outstanding debt on existing credit card accounts). I figure I'll wait a couple months before trying again, when I'll have a chunk of the total balances paid off, so as not to burden my reports with too many hard pulls.

I didn't think to apply for the new 3% Savor dining card on the same day after denied for the Venture. A realized $150 Sign Up Bonus now is better than the possibility of a $500 or $400 SUB at some point in the future, I figure...

MP

Why not the Barclay's Uber card 4% on dining beats 3 all day long and it won't cost u a triple pull. :grin:

> Why not the Barclay's Uber card 4% on dining beats 3 all day long and it won't cost u a triple pull. <

Uber card is pretty meh to me. $100 SUB is pretty skimpy, 4% at restaurants might net me $20/yr over the Freedom5/Discover quarterlies and my Chase AAPR. I'm already at 3 Barclays cards, and don't want to close any right now, anecdotal reports from higher-volume discussion sites than Creditboards indicate that it is often difficult to get a 4th Barclays card. Plus I want to save my next Barclays spot for something I really want, like maybe another Aviator card.

The Savor card would have had a slightly less skimpy $150 SUB, wouldn't have resulted in any additional hard pulls, but would have put off my next Venture SUB to July. I think there's a good chance that Cap One will approve me for another Venture in Feb, when my current Venture has had 7 (rather than 5) statements closed, and my overall outstanding balances will be down a few thousand.

MP

I closed the Venture a few months back because they cut me to 10k from 30 due to lack of use...or not using much of my available limits on other cards?

Anyhoo I plan on applying for the card this weekend to get the sign up bonus. Are they still giving out the sign up offer to past Venture customers?

I know in the past I churned this card with great success

I received a Venture in 02/16, 08/16, 02/17. All three paid the SUB. Had all three open until 9 months ago when two were combined. Wife had two and also received the SUB within the last 14 months until combo.

I received a Venture in 02/16, 08/16, 02/17. All three paid the SUB. Had all three open until 9 months ago when two were combined. Wife had two and also received the SUB within the last 14 months until combo.

cool thanks for the info. Kind of what I did a few years back