Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Samsung Pay, Apple Pay, Android Pay

I was thinking about setting up Samsung Pay on my phone, but before I did I wanted to get your thoughts about it. Is it safe? Ease of use? Do you like it? Any feedback would be appreciated.

All 3 basically do the same thing...they send a one-time code that is different from your actual card number, but linked to it. Samsung Pay uses a tiny coil in the phone to generate electromagnetic impulses that simulate a card being swiped, and the other two use NFC. AFAIK, they are very safe to use, because your actual card number is never sent, just the one-time code.

I use Apple Pay all the time. I think it's great. I'm always surprised at how many cashiers don't know what it is and are amazed at how I was able to pay without using my card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Android Pay works pretty well for the most part, except every time I use it to buy something at Champs Sports or Foot Locker, it triggers a fraud alert on my NFCU Card. That's ironic, because NFCU was one of the early adopters for Android Pay and one of its biggest promoters. :grin:

I have my theories about why, but I'll just keep them to myself for now.

I use it Apple Pay via the Apple watch wherever I can. Very convenient. I too am amazed that the stores don't train their clerks. Almost every clerk at every store I use it in looks at me in amazement and say "what did you just do?" I'm like...Don't they train you guys? lol Get with the program. It would probably be more mainstream by now if the store staff had a clue.

I've been using Android Pay with my Amex for a few months already. I think I tried to use it once when it was called Google Wallet, but it didn't work.

Nice thing was my Amex was compromised and before I got the replacement card (for some reason they didn't automatically offer to overnight it and I didn't push for it since I didn't need it) it was already updated and I was able to use it in Android Pay.

If I'm completely out of the loop on this, would that be an indicator that I'm getting old?

you;re not alone. although I did look at apple pay but see no reason to use it other than to say I use it.

Can't speak as to Samsung pay but, android pay has been solid at the limited places around me where it is accepted.

Did get the 20.00 free best buy card for using it.

Can't seem to get the latest offer to trigger for a free chromecast device. Anyone get the tap 10 offer yet?

If using chromecast and android, check out Googles opinion rewards app. Have earned over 120.00 to date for free music and movies from the play store (EZ money)

Can't speak as to Samsung pay but, android pay has been solid at the limited places around me where it is accepted.

Can't seem to get the latest offer to trigger for a free chromecast device. Anyone get the tap 10 offer yet?

If using chromecast and android, check out Googles opinion rewards app. Have earned over 120.00 to date for free music and movies from the play store (EZ money)

How did u get the free 20 best buy card

If I'm completely out of the loop on this, would that be an indicator that I'm getting old?

you;re not alone. although I did look at apple pay but see no reason to use it other than to say I use it.

If these services used my all of my cards to calculate the best cash-back or point-to-dollar return per transaction, I would use the service.

How did u get the free 20 best buy card

It was a promo by google that ended shortly before this new one to entice people to download and use the android pay app once.

Already using AP, google still placed a 20.00 BB gift card in my app.

If these services used my all of my cards to calculate the best cash-back or point-to-dollar return per transaction, I would use the service.

sounds like a good app. someone should do this before someone else does.

Meh, it hasn't really appealed to me. The process of swiping/inserting a card isn't bothersome or a hassle to me, so taking out my phone to pay doesn't seem much easier. Apple Pay/Samsung Pay/etc to me seem like a fix for something that isn't broken, at least as far as actually paying for something. The security angle I can understand though.

Meh, it hasn't really appealed to me. The process of swiping/inserting a card isn't bothersome or a hassle to me, so taking out my phone to pay doesn't seem much easier. Apple Pay/Samsung Pay/etc to me seem like a fix for something that isn't broken, at least as far as actually paying for something. The security angle I can understand though.

Ever watch the four people in front of you at a convenient store? Never ready with a payment method... digging threw their purse, big production.

The three people behind me appreciate it. Seconds to complete my transaction... gone. No wallet in the store even needed. No card to remove and reinsert in my billfold. No wait for the cashier to ask me to hit the debit or credit button.

Don't have to wait for a receipt, as soon as transaction is done, app notification and email of transaction.

Hope these methods catch on.

I was thinking about setting up Samsung Pay on my phone, but before I did I wanted to get your thoughts about it. Is it safe? Ease of use? Do you like it? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Opinions vary. Take it for a spin and decide based on first hand experience. MST support with Samsung Pay should make it more useful at more retailers in theory.

Samsung Pay uses a tiny coil in the phone to generate electromagnetic impulses that simulate a card being swiped, and the other two use NFC.

Samsung Pay supports both NFC and MST.

It could be. Or it could mean that you just don't care and don't see the benefit. I find Apple Pay useful but not everyone will find one or any of these useful. Pretty much like anything else out there.

The process of swiping/inserting a card isn't bothersome or a hassle to me, so taking out my phone to pay doesn't seem much easier.

I wouldn't say swiping is bothersome or a hassle but Apple Pay is easier IMO -- especially for my default card.

Edited by takeshi

Opinions vary. Take it for a spin and decide based on first hand experience. MST support with Samsung Pay should make it more useful at more retailers in theory.

Samsung Pay uses a tiny coil in the phone to generate electromagnetic impulses that simulate a card being swiped, and the other two use NFC.

Samsung Pay supports both NFC and MST.

It could be. Or it could mean that you just don't care and don't see the benefit. I find Apple Pay useful but not everyone will find one or any of these useful. Pretty much like anything else out there.

The process of swiping/inserting a card isn't bothersome or a hassle to me, so taking out my phone to pay doesn't seem much easier.

I wouldn't say swiping is bothersome or a hassle but Apple Pay is easier IMO -- especially for my default card.

Really? Good to know, thanks! :good:

Do you have to tell the cashier that you intend to pay by these mobile methods?

No. Typically you just put your phone above the payment machine (where you would swipe your card) and wait for the beep.

Easier payment method than having to insert your card and wait for those prompts so you can sign after it gets approved. My husband and I used to be so loyal to Samsung and the Android phones. The touch ID (works on your bank/ credit card apps) and Apple pay from the apple watch made us switch!

On 1/28/2016 at 1:38 PM, hegemony said:

^comment didn't age well as I have been using apple pay (apple card)

On 1/27/2016 at 8:35 PM, get.randy said:

I use Apple Pay all the time. I think it's great. I'm always surprised at how many cashiers don't know what it is and are amazed at how I was able to pay without using my card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Apple Pay -- I use it whenever it's available.  I've got all my major rewards cards linked to it through my Apple Wallet. It is quick, easy, and hassle-free.

I love Samsung Pay when they accept it. Tap and go. Way faster than waiting several seconds for the chip crap.