worst cards you have or applied for

mrjuggalo9er

The last post in this topic was posted 2726 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I can't say I've applied or have a card I regret. I found CB when I had no CC's and nothing but collections on my reports. I can't imagine what I would have in my wallet at this point.

I have to agree the biggest mistakes are the ones you have no control over. When a new card comes out and they get everyone to sign up... Then they get customers... and NERF the chocolate out of it. I always hear people say I guess the accountants didn't forecast it well, when it's clearly what it is. Bait and switch.

Edited by EricDET

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I've applied or have a card I regret. I found CB when I had no CC's and nothing but collections on my reports. I can't imagine what I would have in my wallet at this point.

I have to agree the biggest mistakes are the ones you have no control over. When a new card comes out and they get everyone to sign up... Then they get customers... and NERF the chocolate out of it. I always hear people say I guess the accountants didn't forecast it well, when it's clearly what it is. Bait and switch.

The ones you have no control over? All cc include t&c whereby the issuer can change the terms at any time, card holders can review them and any changes in order to use product accordingly.

Edited by virtualtreasure

Applied Bank. I got this card in 2006 and they made my Credit One card look like an Angel. They had a 16 dollar maintenance fee and you could never not pay any interest even if you paid it off. When I closed it in 2011, I had to pay more than what was owed just in case there was interest. I was due a refund and they didn't send me a check until I inquired about it twice!

Was your card secured or unsecured? I ask because the Applied card I have is secured. No AF or other fees. A couple of years back I had to call them about something. Lady on the phone let it slip and told me I was one of the few customers they had with such terms.

The ones you have no control over? All cc include t&c whereby the issuer can change the terms at any time, card holders can review them and any changes in order to use product accordingly.

I don't see how that changes the topic at hand. You still have no control over the change or the outcome. Your only choice is to use or not use the card after the change correct?

Ugh.. Embarrassingly...

Gettington.

First Premier.

Fingerhut.

hahaha yes.

Haven't touched Fingerhut's amazing $100 credit :rolleyes:

Dell...financing a computer was just stupid. I took out a $3,200+ Dell loan back in '98 or so for Pentium II 450MHz with 19" screen which was state of the art then.

Nobody else remembers Crown Jewelers?

. Haaaa. Old school CBers do

Right I remember....I remember them offering me a credit account of $100 LOL....I declined!

Is CJ still around ?

I checked and they are. And their site STILL to this day has a very weak SSL for ordering. What the @#$%.

It's all about the Pentiums

Back in the day...Cross Country Bank. Long gone!

Dell, ugh. Financed a laptop for my daughtet when she turned 13, and a TV. Probably could have bought several laptops for what I paid to them.

Hooters. Found that gem on here in 2006. I was always so embarrassed to whip it out! They finally shut me down as my credit improved and I moved into prime territory.

BB mastercard now owned by Citi.

Cap 1, formerly Orchard (rebuilder gem from here).

I find other than Chevron (another rebuilding gem from here), those cards did not grow, even though I have great cards and decent limits now

And I forgot .... Providian! Glad it and CCB gone from reports.

Edited by Lolly2011

I don't see how that changes the topic at hand. You still have no control over the change or the outcome. Your only choice is to use or not use the card after the change correct?

You posted, "I have to agree the biggest mistakes are the ones you have no control over"

That = all cc.

Maybe am missing something.

Applied Bank. I got this card in 2006 and they made my Credit One card look like an Angel. They had a 16 dollar maintenance fee and you could never not pay any interest even if you paid it off. When I closed it in 2011, I had to pay more than what was owed just in case there was interest. I was due a refund and they didn't send me a check until I inquired about it twice!

Was your card secured or unsecured? I ask because the Applied card I have is secured. No AF or other fees. A couple of years back I had to call them about something. Lady on the phone let it slip and told me I was one of the few customers they had with such terms.

It was unsecured. I do see that they offer secured cards now. Maybe they got in trouble with the way they were ripping off their customers.

Best Buy Citi Card. $500 and I have no use for it. I got it to get a washer and dryer @ 0% for 12 months instead of paying cash. I can't even get a decent TV with that limit. I'm thinking of closing.

Can't even buy a dyson or a roomba without "maxing" it out.

There are times where i've applied for cards and wish they'd just declined the application vs giving me an embarassingly low limit.

I remember "Orchard Bank"... when I was like 12, I used to get spam emails ALL THE TIME saying I was "pre-approved" or "guaranteed" for some VISA or other credit card with them. Always wondered how legitimate they were.

Oh SNAP Providian :rofl:

I remember them...I honestly can't remember what I did with that card. I think WAMU bought them out and of course WAMU went belly up.

Dell, ugh. Financed a laptop for my daughtet when she turned 13, and a TV. Probably could have bought several laptops for what I paid to them.

Hooters. Found that gem on here in 2006. I was always so embarrassed to whip it out! They finally shut me down as my credit improved and I moved into prime territory.

I find other than Chevron (another rebuilding gem from here), those cards did not grow, even though I have great cards and decent limits now

Whoa..... Totally forgot about CCB and Providian. What trash they were. Cursed names from the 90's....

When I was 18 and trying to establish my credit - wanted to buy a new car - had to suffer through one of those and a Beneficial Finance loan. Then open up jewelry store cards.... Citibank was a continual denial that first two years.

One bank that actually treated me right was Seafirst Bank - they then issued the Alaska Airlines Card. Gave me my first higher limit.

Wonder if I can search out a new Providian card. Joking.

HL

Whoa..... Totally forgot about CCB and Providian. What trash they were. Cursed names from the 90's....

When I was 18 and trying to establish my credit - wanted to buy a new car - had to suffer through one of those and a Beneficial Finance loan. Then open up jewelry store cards.... Citibank was a continual denial that first two years.

One bank that actually treated me right was Seafirst Bank - they then issued the Alaska Airlines Card. Gave me my first higher limit.

HL

Holy cow Seafirst Bank...haven't heard that name in a long time. I'm assuming you're in WA. Lived there, hated US Bank like BOA, I think I did have an account with Seafirst but moved to WAMU.

HL

Holy cow Seafirst Bank...haven't heard that name in a long time. I'm assuming you're in WA. Lived there, hated US Bank like BOA, I think I did have an account with Seafirst but moved to WAMU.

Indiana, actually. I was given the app for the Seafirst card to earn miles by my then gf's grandparents who did live out there. The bank did approve me at 20yrs old living in Indiana for a nice limit... Heard some time later the bank was quite conservative. Canceled card a couple years later before BOA bought them. Quite the blast from the past...

HL

Kohl's for sure. I got the card so that I could get the 30% off MVP coupons in the mail, but 8 years in and I haven't been able to pull more than $1k CL out of them. Same story with DW basically. She's 9-10 years in and stuck at $700. What a joke! God forbid you need to buy a new vacuum and a set of luggage at the same time. You're over the limit before you can blink!

And my BOA Platinum Plus Visa. It started out as secured and I moved on up to unsecured, but 8 years later and I just a few weeks ago was able to get them to bump me from $2k to $4k. Not a toy card, per se, but definitely nothing to write home about. And I thought it had some perks or bennies, but I can't seem to find anything about them anywhere. Oh, and there's the annual fee. SMFH. If I wasn't so thin on major bank CL's, I would dump it. For now I'll hold on and see if I can take what I've been learning from CB and try to work them for something more substantial and/or a fee waiver.

Edit: Oh, I did forget to throw in Helzberg. Like Kohl's, it's through crap1. Never any love there. They want you to spend big $$ on jewelry, but low credit lines that never get any love keep that from happening. It's ok, though. Bought my wife an engagement ring there and it appraised independently for half what I paid, so it went right back to them. SMH

Edited by Surreal Awakening

Blispay. The only card I truly regret applying for.

Their website is designed by asshats with the common sense God gave moldy bread. They did fix the earlier glitch where you couldn't make payments in other than whole dollar amounts. But now if you are using iOS and Safari on a mobile device or tablet you cannot access the black tab along the left hand side and without the payment function.

For some reason only Darwin could understand, they issued my wife's account without even recording her name. Yes, her card arrived with no embossed name on it. Under "Name" in her online account we find a blank field. When we call to see WTF is going on, the nice but brain dead CSRs don't know her name either. Nearly two weeks now and no solution. Let's see how her statement cuts this week.

Blispay scams you out of your 2% cash back. If you earn any odd amount such as $0.2595, they round down.

BillPay? They have to cut a check to mail to them.

And these are the same clowns who manage the Beaver / Duck cards from Oregon Community Credit Union.

• 4 months later...

The last post in this topic was posted 2726 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.