Sign in to follow this  
fury1995

Synchrony Bank Card Security Fee?

Just noticed these charges appearing on all our Synchrony Bank accounts on the statements. 1.6% of the statement balance added each month that a balance posts. Was carrying a $500-ish balance under a 0% promo for CareCredit and $2,500-ish balance for Lowes under a 0% promo and saw the fees.

Don't have any recollection of authorizing this service to be added to any of my or DH's accounts with Synchrony. Just looked back through statements and they started appearing (for us) in November, nothing prior.

Apparently, it's been billed on all Sync Bank statements that we have. Walmart, Amazon, Lowes, Paypal and Care Credit.

Anyone else?

Just noticed these charges appearing on all our Synchrony Bank accounts on the statements. 1.6% of the statement balance added each month that a balance posts. Was carrying a $500-ish balance under a 0% promo for CareCredit and $2,500-ish balance for Lowes under a 0% promo and saw the fees.

Don't have any recollection of authorizing this service to be added to any of my or DH's accounts with Synchrony. Just looked back through statements and they started appearing (for us) in November, nothing prior.

Apparently, it's been billed on all Sync Bank statements that we have. Walmart, Amazon, Lowes, Paypal and Care Credit.

Anyone else?

It's payment protection. ...call to cancel it

Anyone else?

It's payment protection. ...call to cancel it

Yeah.. figured that one out.

What I haven't figured out is how it was added as a "benefit" without being informed..

and if anyone else had experienced the same..

and if so, were the fees refunded.

You might have received a letter in the snail mail and buried in the fine print was "unless you call to cancel this will be automatically added" ??

Crap like this is what the CFPB is for. I'd report them.

You might have received a letter in the snail mail and buried in the fine print was "unless you call to cancel this will be automatically added" ??

Crap like this is what the CFPB is for. I'd report them.

And ask Synchrony to explain *exactly* how and why these charges started. Don't settle for "oops it appears to be an error, we'll reverse the charges". They need to be held accountable. And also we need to know what it takes for them to start doing this.

I've seen this advertised and always thought they better not put that charge on my account, but would hate having to deal with it.

As Konrad2012 says about the CFPB, I think the pendulum has swung in the customers favor on this kind of stuff, and you may get to play hardball.

Synchrony and Comenity banks have both paid millions because of this exact issue, just signing people up for their add on services. Just call them and they will fold right away.

Sorry.. nothing to update, yet. Busy week. I'm 30 minutes west of DC if anyone has been watching the news.

Snow blower is primed and ready.

I just noticed the $15.27 "security fee" on my CareCredit card from Synchrony. I've been paying it for 6 years without noticing and I certainly never signed up for it. I called and the account rep. said they would refund the $1,100 immediately. It was almost too easy...I'll believe it when I get the refund.

did you get a refund? I called today and they said they would credit it back in my account.

I just noticed the $15.27 "security fee" on my CareCredit card from Synchrony. I've been paying it for 6 years without noticing and I certainly never signed up for it. I called and the account rep. said they would refund the $1,100 immediately. It was almost too easy...I'll believe it when I get the refund.

did you get a refund? I called today and they said they would credit it back in my account.

You should get a refund. Please let us know when you do.

Welcome to CB! :)

I just received a letter from CardSecurity when I got a Carecredit/synchrony bank card.

I just happened to read the fine detail and noticed this when it first came in the mail.

I'm trying to cancel this with the number that they give 1-800-815-4051 and the number doesn't work.

Has anyone ever gotten through?

After reading this post and looking at my own Walmart CC I noticed this same fee and immediately called and cancelled but I did not hang up I wanted to talk to a representative and once I did she looked it up and said that I have been paying since 2008!!!!!!!!! But they will issue a credit to my card for $2900.00 :clapping:

I was told I would get a $2900.00 refund I was paying since 2008.

​I just got my refund it took 2-3 days

October 13, 2017

REFUND OF DEBT CANCELLATION FEE -1367.80
Location REFUND OF DEBT CANCELLATION FEE Posting Date October 13, 2017

I just got my refund I think it took 2-3 days

Madelene263 - Question - your refund was not the $2900 they told you. The same happened to my mom. They told her a higher value than what hit her card. Have you called them? We asked for an escalation so waiting for someone to call back - was told 3 to 5 days.