Sign in to follow this  
Cappy

The Master 2016 Credit Approvals & CLI'S Thread

I know some people will probably fuss at me for this but I broke down and lifted a report yesterday for an app... I applied for the Venture One again, and I was approved for a $2k starting limit. I was hoping for a much bigger starting limit, but I'm not offended by $2,000. I might make an attempt to ask for reconsideration on the SL if it's worthwhile.

...but I still can't get in with AMEX, or Barclay, and I really wanted something more geared towards travel rewards. I have so many cash back rewards cards now... I know I have a lot of eggs in the Cap1 basket but they've been good to me.

Why would you add another cash back card if you want travel rewards?

Unless I'm just really, really misinformed, the Venture card is a travel rewards card!?!

The Venture One card is a 1.25% cashback card, only redeemable for travel purchases. It's worse than a Quicksilver. It is not a "travel card."

I know some people will probably fuss at me for this but I broke down and lifted a report yesterday for an app... I applied for the Venture One again, and I was approved for a $2k starting limit. I was hoping for a much bigger starting limit, but I'm not offended by $2,000. I might make an attempt to ask for reconsideration on the SL if it's worthwhile.

...but I still can't get in with AMEX, or Barclay, and I really wanted something more geared towards travel rewards. I have so many cash back rewards cards now... I know I have a lot of eggs in the Cap1 basket but they've been good to me.

Unless I'm just really, really misinformed, the Venture card is a travel rewards card!?!

The Venture One card is a 1.25% cashback card, only redeemable for travel purchases. It's worse than a Quicksilver. It is not a "travel card."

Yup...just get it for the 0% intro rate and the bonus "miles", then fold it into a QS at the end of the 0% period. Make sure you redeem your "miles" first, though.

What cv is eluding to is the fact that Cap1's travel cards are glorified cash back cards..."miles" vs. actual miles.

If travel rewards are part of your plan, there are cards with sign ups, earning potential and value that far exceed the offerings from Cap1.

Cap1 is not a real player in the travel rewards market no matter how hard they try to say otherwise.

I understand that, and I can't argue with it.

...but I'm blacklisted with AMEX and Barclay. Citi and Chase have fairly recently let me back in but I squeaked through with some of their easier to qualify for cards--which IMO are great cash back cards (Chase AARP/3%, and Citi DoubleCash/2%). I'm screwed with Chase 5/24 but also I'm not sure if there was anything else I could have qualified for even if I was under the 5/24. I was blacklisted with them but convinced a senior underwriter to give me another chance.

Can you guys suggest something for me to eyeball that's not a Chase, AMEX, or Barclay travel card?

Yup...just get it for the 0% intro rate and the bonus "miles", then fold it into a QS at the end of the 0% period. Make sure you redeem your "miles" first, though.

That was another part of the goal. I thought I'd get a much bigger limit than $2k, but I was thinking I could always use the offer and combine later on. The QS gets used fairly rarely now that I have the AARP and Double Cash.

What cv is eluding to is the fact that Cap1's travel cards are glorified cash back cards..."miles" vs. actual miles.

If travel rewards are part of your plan, there are cards with sign ups, earning potential and value that far exceed the offerings from Cap1.

Cap1 is not a real player in the travel rewards market no matter how hard they try to say otherwise.

I understand that, and I can't argue with it.

...but I'm blacklisted with AMEX and Barclay. Citi and Chase have fairly recently let me back in but I squeaked through with some of their easier to qualify for cards--which IMO are great cash back cards (Chase AARP/3%, and Citi DoubleCash/2%). I'm screwed with Chase 5/24 but also I'm not sure if there was anything else I could have qualified for even if I was under the 5/24. I was blacklisted with them but convinced a senior underwriter to give me another chance.

Can you guys suggest something for me to eyeball that's not a Chase, AMEX, or Barclay travel card?

Citi has lots of travel cards.

Actually, you can redeem the points for an account credit...but I think it's a bit less than 1.25% value when you do. I did that just a few weeks ago (since I didn't have any "travel related" purchases that I could apply the points towards).

Thanks for the reminder, btw... I've been meaning to go look up the exact "exchange rate".

EDIT: It seems the "exchange rate" varies... I just figured up the points I have available to swap, and my previous "cash-out"...and it worked out to...

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

A whopping 0.5%!

Edited by clc222

Actually, you can redeem the points for an account credit...but I think it's a bit less than 1.25% value when you do. I did that just a few weeks ago (since I didn't have any "travel related" purchases that I could apply the points towards).

Thanks for the reminder, btw... I've been meaning to go look up the exact "exchange rate".

EDIT: It seems the "exchange rate" varies... I just figured up the points I have available to swap, and my previous "cash-out"...and it worked out to...

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

A whopping 0.5%!

Points are worth half a cent when redeemed for cash, 1 cent when used on travel.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Technically this isn't a new approval, but on Monday I accepted a targeted 50,000-point MR offer (after $3k spend in 3 months) to upgrade my D*1995 Amex Green to a Platinum.

Supposedly at some point I should have been notified via Facebook about the offer. In reality, I found out by complete accident while chatting with an Amex agent.

Isn't the public platinum offer now 100k Mr?

For a product change?

Approved for the Chase Sapphire Reserved yesterday with a $10k limit. Pretty happy cause I've been pretty sloppy with my credit lately (not making sure I have balances reporting as zero).

Approved for the Chase Sapphire Reserved yesterday with a $10k limit. Pretty happy cause I've been pretty sloppy with my credit lately (not making sure I have balances reporting as zero).

Congrats....

NFCU is running a promo on the Flagship this month, so DW went ahead and applied online.

Instantly approved for $20K! :dance:

Congrats....my DW was approved too. AND, then they froze her account. :rofl:

They said they suspected ID Theft on her membership, she said "ummmmm, no......I'm really me and I really opened this account". After a long hold they told her online access should be restored within 2-3 business days. Crazy........I have a feeling this ain't over.

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

A whopping 0.5%!

Points are worth half a cent when redeemed for cash, 1 cent when used on travel.

You can redeem the "miles" for gift cards at 1 cent per mile on Venture and Venture One, IIRC.

NFCU is running a promo on the Flagship this month, so DW went ahead and applied online.

They said they suspected ID Theft on her membership, she said "ummmmm, no......I'm really me and I really opened this account". After a long hold they told her online access should be restored within 2-3 business days. Crazy........I have a feeling this ain't over.

Did she get in via NL, or the "normal" way? How long has she been a member?

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

A whopping 0.5%!

You can redeem the "miles" for gift cards at 1 cent per mile on Venture and Venture One, IIRC.

Good to know. I might have to m$ for cheap Christmas gifts. Do they send physical gift cards?

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

A whopping 0.5%!

Good to know. I might have to m$ for cheap Christmas gifts. Do they send physical gift cards?

AFAIK, yes.

She just joined with me as her sponsor/spouse. All went fine and she was able to access everything fine. They mailed her a debit card and cloc papers to sign/return.

I have a post I'll update in the main NFCU thread once we find out more. :good:

She just joined with me as her sponsor/spouse. All went fine and she was able to access everything fine. They mailed her a debit card and cloc papers to sign/return.

Ah, so how did you join NFCU? How long have you been a member?

DW's father is retired Navy, and she's been a member for over 30 years. I don't think she'll have any problems. In the unlikely event she does, there's a brand new NFCU branch right up the road from us now, so if there's a problem, it will get handled quickly.

Ah, so how did you join NFCU? How long have you been a member?

DW's father is retired Navy, and she's been a member for over 30 years. I don't think she'll have any problems. In the unlikely event she does, there's a brand new NFCU branch right up the road from us now, so if there's a problem, it will get handled quickly.

NLSD.....and I've been a member around 4 months. We have a branch close by too if we end up needing to verify ourselves.