Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Prime vs Subprime Lenders

The last post in this topic was posted 1803 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hey folks,

I've searched around the forums, but haven't been able to identify a solid list of who are considered prime lenders when it comes to credit cards. Based on information gathered from the threads, I'd assume they are Bank of America, Chase and Citi. Am I missing any? Are these even correct?

Thanks!

I'm no expert but i thought it was the borrower and therefore the loan that was sub prime not necessarily the lender.

I'm no expert but i thought it was the borrower and therefore the loan that was sub prime not necessarily the lender.

Hmm. It very well could be that I simply don't understand the concept.

Any expert clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There is no official list. It's sort of in the eye of the beholder. It can be a confusing thing because some posters use "subprime" when referring to any bank they think done them wrong. What many people are referring to with that terminology are financial institutions that focus on lending to the subprime market segment. A bank such as First Premier is what I would give as an example. The financial institutions that focus on those with less than perfect credit and tend to offer low limits and high fees. Then there are some banks that lend to the subprime market yet also lend to the prime market. CapOne is an example of a bank that made their name as a lender to the subprime market but now they also issue cards that require good scores to be approved.

There is no official list. It's sort of in the eye of the beholder. It can be a confusing thing because some posters use "subprime" when referring to any bank they think done them wrong. What many people are referring to with that terminology are financial institutions that focus on lending to the subprime market segment. A bank such as First Premier is what I would give as an example. The financial institutions that focus on those with less than perfect credit and tend to offer low limits and high fees. Then there are some banks that lend to the subprime market yet also lend to the prime market. CapOne is an example of a bank that made their name as a lender to the subprime market but now they also issue cards that require good scores to be approved.

This is great information! From your perspective, who would be the banks that typically issue cards to a market with higher credit scores?

Thanks!

This is great information! From your perspective, who would be the banks that typically issue cards to a market with higher credit scores?

Thanks!

Amex

BofA

Chase

Citi

US Bank

Thanks!

Amex

BofA

Chase

Citi

US Bank

Wells Fargo

Thanks!

Amex

BofA

Chase

Citi

US Bank

Penfed

Thanks!

Amex

BofA

Chase

Citi

US Bank

Wells Fargo

WF does not deserve.

Wells Fargo

WF does not deserve.

You're high. Wells Fargo is one of the biggest banks in the country.

And size of the bank is what is actually the definition of prime lenders, not how much people like their credit card offerings. It is coined to the top 50 or top 100 banks in the world.

Amex

BofA

Chase

Citi

US Bank

Wells Fargo

Size of bank: (US ranking by assets 2013)

Amex---------------- # 14

BofA------------------ # 2

Chase--------------- # 1

Citi-------------------- # 3

US Bank------------ # 6

Wells Fargo-------- # 4

Amex

BofA

Chase

Citi

US Bank

Wells Fargo

Chase--------------- # 1

US Bank------------ # 6

Wells Fargo-------- # 4

Who's #5?

Amex

BofA

Chase

Citi

US Bank

Wells Fargo

Chase--------------- # 1

US Bank------------ # 6

Wells Fargo-------- # 4

Hmm. I only have 5 CCs and one LOC and they are all in that list with the exception of BofA which I won't touch due to a bad experience with them back in 1974.

I actually started rebuilding with secured CCs from Citi and WF which then unsecured.

Edited by cashnocredit

marv, that is huge in the South (the old C&S) but it is nowhere north of mason dixon line...

no USBank in NY at least that I can find.

regional banks are still regional until they become chase/citi types...

Bank of A used to be West coast only.

Thanks!

Amex

BofA

Chase

Citi

US Bank

Wells Fargo

WF does not deserve.

Barclay

(discover)

Thanks!

Amex

BofA

Chase

Citi

US Bank

Wells Fargo

WF does not deserve.

Barclay

Discover

FTFY

The last post in this topic was posted 1803 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.