Does NFCU care about account balances?

The last post in this topic was posted 1934 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I recently joined NFCU online. I choose to only open a savings account and funded it with a CC for the full $250 they allow. (As an aside, it was not treated as a cash advance, and it was coded as a "membership fee.") Anyway, I immediately applied for a CC and was approved. I plan on asking for a CLI after my 3rd statement cuts. My question is whether or not NFCU would care about the balance of my savings account with them. Would it make sense to park a few thousand in that account? Would the lending committee even care, or look? I know that if it is an automated approval, it probably wouldn't make a difference. But if an UW (or a committee) were to review the app, would they look into account balances? I know I am probably over planning this. But chance favors the prepared mind.

It seems to me they would be more likely to look favorably and approve someone who had a few thousand in savings rather than a few hundred. The flip side of the coin, however, is that they may not really care. Given that different departments within NFCU don't share credit reports, it isn't inconceivable that the CC department doesn't give a hoot about your balance with the savings department.

I just thought I'd ask and see what you guys thought.

It's been my experience that they don't care about account balances. I opened with $5 and was approved for $20k CC and $15k CLOC. However, you should wait 6 months before requesting a CLI with Navy. Use the card and PIF. When you ask for the CLI ask for $25k

Is there a reason you suggest waiting 6 months? I did a few searches and the consensus seemed to be 3 to 4 months with a recent AR. I did notice that people who asked for a CLI before the 3 month mark seemed to only get token raises and were often asked to send in income docs. So, I thought 3 months would be good.

It's been my experience that they don't care about account balances. I opened with $5 and was approved for $20k CC and $15k CLOC. However, you should wait 6 months before requesting a CLI with Navy. Use the card and PIF. When you ask for the CLI ask for $25k

Is there a reason you suggest waiting 6 months? I did a few searches and the consensus seemed to be 3 to 4 months with a recent AR. I did notice that people who asked for a CLI before the 3 month mark seemed to only get token raises and were often asked to send in income docs. So, I thought 3 months would be good.

typically a bigger increase after 6 month AR. It used to be said don't mess around with Navy until at least 4 months.

I did a CLI 30 days after card opening. I went from $3500-->$10K. I should have requested more. It was instant approval. Also on the same day, I did an app for the cashRewards and got $12.4K instant. HP on EQ and TU for both. Edited by FixnCred

@melikey- How large was the cli? Was it a token, or was it a significant increase?

I did a CLI 30 days after card opening. I went from $3500-->$10K. I should have requested more. It was instant approval. Also on the same day, I did an app for the cashRewards and got $12.4K instant. HP on EQ and TU for both.

I am SOOOO tempted right now. Especially since I have had the last negative (besides my BK) removed from my EQ report since applying (it was never on TU).

New accounts are EQ. It will be TU for your CLIs. You will see NFCU/VISA on your TU CR for a user initiated CLI.

I recently got a CLI on my NFCU card from $19K to $25K a few days after my 3rd statement cut. Got the 3-5 day message and the increase was there the next morning. It was a HP on EQ.

The last post in this topic was posted 1934 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.