Sign in to follow this  
BillyBob11706

Credit card offers possible fraud

My friend as no computer so I'm posting this...

Approx 6 years ago his wife died and she was the bread winner. He stopped making mort. payments and now his house is in foreclosure. The bank wants 100k to bring hom current and his house is worth more.

He recently got an offer from capital 1 with a $300 credit line. Since he has active judgements (1-6 years) I told him not to get his hopes up too high. He used my computer to apply. 10 minutes later he was approved. A few days go by and the second Capitol 1 offer comes in and he used my computer. He was again approved.

Now comes another offer of $1,000. I wouldn't let him use my computer because he doesn't work. He puts down that he makes $47k.

1. We don't talk about this very much but he has several offers and a few new cards. How is it possible???

2. Are there any criminal laws in what's going on? Saying that you make $47k when in fact you make nothing on the books.

3. This is in Suffolk county NY and the judgements are on the county website that is open to the public.

4. Doesn't applying for a bunch of cards in a very short period of time effect a credit score?

Active judgements and getting approved by Cap1 doesn't surprise me.

Has he sent in for the other offers? And approved? Are these other offers from the typical bottom feeders? Are all the judgements reporting on his credit reports?

Stating income you don't have is fraud. How the law works, I'm sure varies from state to state. Hell I wonder what the federal ramifications might be.

EDIT: Make him get his own computer and internet access to commit his deeds.

Edited by TheVig

Waiting for the follow up thread, "Friend used my computer to apply for a bunch of credit cards, maxed them out, didn't pay, and is now saying I fraudulently opened them in his name."

Tell your "friend" not to use your computer to commit fraud, because that's exactly what he is doing. Better yet, find a better friend.

He got approved for a credit card. Tell him to use it and buy a computer, preferably a laptop, because it sounds like he'll be homeless soon at the rate he's going.

My friend as no computer so I'm posting this...

Approx 6 years ago his wife died and she was the bread winner. He stopped making mort. payments and now his house is in foreclosure. The bank wants 100k to bring hom current and his house is worth more.

He recently got an offer from capital 1 with a $300 credit line. Since he has active judgements (1-6 years) I told him not to get his hopes up too high. He used my computer to apply. 10 minutes later he was approved. A few days go by and the second Capitol 1 offer comes in and he used my computer. He was again approved.

Now comes another offer of $1,000. I wouldn't let him use my computer because he doesn't work. He puts down that he makes $47k.

1. We don't talk about this very much but he has several offers and a few new cards. How is it possible??? He lied about his income and is getting offers from the predatory lenders.

2. Are there any criminal laws in what's going on? Saying that you make $47k when in fact you make nothing on the books. He could be charged with fraud if he runs the balances up and doesn't pay.

3. This is in Suffolk county NY and the judgements are on the county website that is open to the public. This is the lender's problem, not his, unless the application asks about judgments.

4. Doesn't applying for a bunch of cards in a very short period of time effect a credit score? Yes, but I imagine his is so low already, that it's not an issue for him.

I wouldn't enable his behavior, either, if I were you.

Waiting for the follow up thread, "Friend used my computer to apply for a bunch of credit cards, maxed them out, didn't pay, and is now saying I fraudulently opened them in his name."

Tell your "friend" not to use your computer to commit fraud, because that's exactly what he is doing. Better yet, find a better friend.

Seriously. +1