Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Removing a charge-off

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.

I've been on my cleaning journey since August. I haven't had a ton of time to dedicate, but happy with my progress! I have a PIF capital one cc that was charged-off to a CA. Both Cap one (reporting as a $0 balance & charge-off) and the CA are reporting on my reports. They are not old. The cc was opened in 2012 during a second cross-country move in six months, the ex was auth user (my primary, but he used it and was to take it during the divorce, but didn't)...so I took care of it, paying in full in July. I had tried the calling and asking for PFD to several people, managers, letters, etc...to no avail. They also said if I planned on getting a home/cared about my future credit I wouldn't take the minimum close-out offer (hundreds of dollars less), and PIF because it reports/looks better to potential lenders. So that's what I did being desperate. I now know that was all foolish. Needing some whychat wisdom!!!

I am pretty sure that it is better to have a paid CO when attempting to mortgage app than having a unpaid one.

Being that you paid it already, there's no way you can request a PFD. Are there any discrepancies with the TL? Is there anything about it that is reporting inaccurately? You might be able to disput that information, if it exists, as a way to get it remvoed from your reports.

COs are hard to get deleted, especially paid ones. One approach would be to comb the original CC paperwork and try to catch them on a breach of agreement enough to spook them into removing. Again, very difficult to do especially wth CCs but you're in a disadvantaged position currently and low on options, luck being maybe your only other hope.

COs are hard to get deleted, especially paid ones. One approach would be to comb the original CC paperwork and try to catch them on a breach of agreement enough to spook them into removing. Again, very difficult to do especially wth CCs but you're in a disadvantaged position currently and low on options, luck being maybe your only other hope.

Is there any way to get the original CC paperwork? I have none...I didn't even realize I still had a card that I could have been using/cleaning/paying as early as last summer (as I never got statements/info in the mail)!!! It was a messy multi-state move/seperation/divorce as far as finances/paperwork, debts, etc...

Edited by akmama08

any stuff in divorce papers that could verify your situation? If you pull a fraud report, in that he used your card, assuming that he was not an AU, it's not as though the police will track him down. My ex did that on an old Dell account and I had NO idea that he had charged stuff on it. I had paid it off entirely and thought it was a closed account. Dell finally deleted when I went and got a police account. It was a wopping $167 that grew to almost $300 with fees, pre card act of 2010.

I had 1 charge of of $6500 and my mortgage lender said I had to resolve it prior to closing.

PFD is a myth, so the best I could do it "CO - PAID - Settled for Less" and shows a $0 balance on all my reports. I paid them $2500 out of the $6500

I settled in December. I had 680 FICOs at that time.

If not for a home, I would say dont even bother paying it.

Edited by Brandon1008

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.