FixnCred's first stab at prime CC's - Need Advice

FixnCred

The last post in this topic was posted 1962 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I need some advice. I am wanting to take go on an APP spree into prime CC territory. I don't think my scores can go too much higher until my accounts age a little more so now is probably optimal as I have delayed mortgage for 6 months. The first card I want to target is the AMEX BCP. How does the 2fer work to avoid a second HP? Apply for the BCP and if approved apply for the charge card right afterwards? Is the 2fer for 1 charge and one revolver only? Not 2 revolvers? The other card I was looking at was the Citi Thank You Premier as I travel quite a bit on the road and do not fly very often. So hotels and gas rewards are the next most important features for me. Are there business cards that offer nice CL's and do not report to personal that I should be looking at?

I have all my files unfroze and plan on doing it tonight so I can post back my results if approved! *crossing fingers*

Thanks!

EX FICO 8 SCORES

EQ - 734 - UTL 10% - AAOA 2YRS 4 Months - INQ Last 6 Months 4

EX - 717 - UTL 10% - AAOA 2YRS 4 Months - INQ Last 6 Months 4

TU - 735 - UTL 10% - AAOA 2YRS 4 Months - INQ Last 6 Months 3

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do the AMEX 2for1 in the evening. Do it in the morning so you can take care of everything same day.

If you want any Chase cards, you should do them first. Then Citi. Then AMEX.

Can you explain a little further on doing the 2 for 1 in for morning? Is it something I have to call in for?

I was thinking Chase but I didn't want to over commit myself on bonus offers for spend that I may not spend. Is this also one of those situations where I need to do all of the apps on separate browsers and all around the same time?

Thanks for your reply and advice.

I've read a handful of people on MF that got two Amex revolvers but 99% of the time Amex won't approve two at once. I managed to get a Platinum Card and when it came back instant approved applied for SPG. One hard pull for a charger and a revolver. Appd within minutes of each other. I would go for the charger first, if approved, apply for the revolver you want second.

Between Amex, Chase and Citi, Citi has always been hyper sensitive to inquiries for me. I would go Citi first, Chase second and Amex third.

Do not do 2 revolvers in the same day. You have to wait 5 days between revolvers.

You can do 1 charge and 1 revolver in 1 day. (and yes do it in the morning or afternoon. )

You can do one revolver and as many charge cards as they will give you. 3,4,5 is not out of the question

I've read a handful of people on MF that got two Amex revolvers but 99% of the time Amex won't approve two at once. I managed to get a Platinum Card and when it came back instant approved applied for SPG. One hard pull for a charger and a revolver. Appd within minutes of each other. I would go for the charger first, if approved, apply for the revolver you want second.

Between Amex, Chase and Citi, Citi has always been hyper sensitive to inquiries for me. I would go Citi first, Chase second and Amex third.

FYI:

1. Any time you preface a statement with MyFico, everything else is garbage.

2. Citi doesn't care about INQ's.

Edited by Konrad2012

Do not do 2 revolvers in the same day. You have to wait 5 days between revolvers.

You can do 1 charge and 1 revolver in 1 day. (and yes do it in the morning or afternoon. )

You can do one revolver and as many charge cards as they will give you. 3,4,5 is not out of the question

FYI:

1. Any time you preface a statement with MyFico, everything else is garbage.

2. Citi doesn't care about INQ's.

Yes Citi very much cares about inquiries. My last denial was one (1) reason and nothing else; inquiries. Chase and Amex have never denied me for inquiries regardless of how many I've had.

Yes Citi very much cares about inquiries. My last denial was one (1) reason and nothing else; inquiries. Chase and Amex have never denied me for inquiries regardless of how many I've had.

NO THEY DO NOT.

If you were denied and honestly think it was one (1) reason and nothing else, you are sorely mistaken.

How many inquiries did you have for your last Citi denial?

Quit reading myfico.

Edited by Konrad2012

NO THEY DO NOT.

If you were denied and honestly think it was one (1) reason and nothing else, you are sorely mistaken.

Quit reading myfico.

YES THEY DO.

That information is not from myfico, it is my own experience and I have the denial letters as proof. It is a very well known fact if you ever looked at one Citi thread on Flyertalk that anything over 6 inquiries in the last 6 months on the report Citi pulls has a much higher denial rate than approval rate.

I'm basing this purely on that information and my experiences with Citi. Last denial I had 8 inquiries in the previous 6 months, 3 years AAOA, 6% utilization, no negatives. If the OP wants to consider that fine. If not, that's fine too. Chase and Amex have never cared less. Again my experience, not myfico's.

If you actually read my original post, all I said was a number of people over there have reported being approved for two revolvers at the same time. I didn't say it was some ruling handed down by the Supreme Court.

Edited by GobBluth

NO THEY DO NOT.

Quit reading myfico.

YES THEY DO.

That information is not from myfico, it is my own experience and I have the denial letters as proof. It is a very well known fact if you ever looked at one Citi thread on Flyertalk that anything over 6 inquiries in the last 6 months on the report Citi pulls has a much higher denial rate than approval rate.

I'm basing this purely on that information and my experiences with Citi. Last denial I had 8 inquiries in the previous 6 months, 3 years AAOA, 6% utilization, no negatives. If the OP wants to consider that fine. If not, that's fine too. Chase and Amex have never cared less. Again my experience, not myfico's.

If you actually read my original post, all I said was a number of people over there have reported being approved for two revolvers at the same time. I didn't say it was some ruling handed down by the Supreme Court.

I was approved for Citi cards 3 and 4 with 20+ inquiries and 8 in the previous 6 months for card 3.

They really don't care about inquiries.

NO THEY DO NOT.

Quit reading myfico.

YES THEY DO.

Do you really think the BS denial letter they give you means anything? I've gotten Citi cards with 14 EX hits all under 1 year, and 20 new accounts all under 1 year, many under 6 months. Mendel, CV, lots of others can tell you similiar experiences.

If you have a good profile, INQ's mean nothing. If your profile doesnt appeal to them, they find reasons to put on the letter. INQ's are one reason, because it's totally subjective.

At least you're here now. Read more and you'll realize how full of chocolate myfico is. And FT has to be taken with a grain of salt. FT is huge, so the knowledge base of posters widely varies.

Edited by Konrad2012

Cb isn't full of wireless routers? I have seen just as many wireless routers here as elsewhere. There is a lot of great info here as well as other places. Just my opinion that like with banks you should diversify your credit knowledge and not limit yourself.

I have been here for over 10 years, and thanks to the ever-vigilant mods and admins, CB actually has a very small percentage of clowns and wireless routers. Thanks so much for adding one more to the total, though. :wave:

So because I disagree with you, I am now a wireless router? Really? Proving my point? All I was trying to convey was that there are valuable sources of knowledge out there in addition to these boards. Sorry for the OT OP.

You'll have to excuse my frosty response, but when you posted "So this is the only place to get credit info gotcha", it pegged the sarcasm meter.

Sure, there are plenty of places to get credit info, but CB is by far the best. It's not even close. I was able to add over $100K in CLs in 6 months with sub-700 FICOs using the information I obtained here. It's really the best community in the credit world. :good:

So this is the only place to get credit info gotcha

Is it the only place? No. Is it the best? For many things, yes.

Take MyFico for instance. The relationship with FICO precludes them from being impartial. They in fact delete posts and entire threads that they deem detrimental to that relationship.

DansDeals has lots of information. But the vast majority of their membership base has a lack of knowledge in the actual nuts and bolts department of credit. You want to learn about card churning, M$, travel redemptions and such, it's a great place. You want to know why a creditor told you a certain thing, why your score fluctuated, what different scenarios will have on your FICO's etc...not the place to go. Unless of course Medel or that guy Pillan Smye answer your posts.

Flyertalk is another huge website with a wealth of information. But again, the majority of their membership base has a lack of knowledge in the nuts and bolts of credit. Want to know about the current card offers, zombie links for product applications, award charts, redemptions, what hotel to stay reside in Chiang Mai or Yangon...great resource. Want to know WHY Citi denied your application? Not the best place to go.

I could continue this list with Redditt etc.

Godbluth is a prime example of this lack of knowledge. He'll sit here and emphatically tell me that Citi is INQ sensitive, because its the only reason they listed on his denial letter. That tells me he lacks a serious amount of knowledge. I know people with 20 INQ's that get Citi approvals. Using INQ's, or new accounts, or escalating credit, or pyramiding debts are all extremely subjective responses. They cannot be quantified, which is why creditors use those specific terms/reasons in the first place.

Thank you for your reply Konrad, I have read countless post by you and many other here that have helped. That being said I did not start my journey here and had great success over at MyFico despite them being MyFico. Is it the "everything after MyFico is garbage" that I was responding too. Honestly a lot of the stuff found here can be found there with a few exception due to them being associated with FICO. I understand that a majority of CB users don't like MyFico and I have been around long enough to know why, but that does not make them garbage for credit information. Maybe it makes them garbage to you and that's perfectly fine YMMV. Despite their short comings there are good users in that community and good information there.

Don't do the AMEX 2for1 in the evening. Do it in the morning so you can take care of everything same day.

Welps...

Chase - $4K Approved - Woot!

Citi - Declined

Amex - Declined

Not sure why... low UTL and no baddies... except for maybe recent new accounts. Should I try to re-con?If so, what is best way for Citi and Amex?

Thanks!

Welps...

Citi - Declined

Amex - Declined

Not sure why... low UTL and no baddies... except for maybe recent new accounts. Should I try to re-con?If so, what is best way for Citi and Amex?

Thanks!

Do you have a BK showing on your reports?

Welps...

Citi - Declined

Amex - Declined

Thanks!

Do you have a BK showing on your reports?

Nope. Never had a BK.

The last post in this topic was posted 1962 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.