Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

13 Things Credit Card Companies Know About You

The last post in this topic was posted 1881 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

The fact that they can track my movements in order to send me coupons for nearby stores is scary. It is also why I never enable location based services on my phone. I only turn that feature on if I need to use my phone to get directions, and once I arrive at my destination, I turn it off. It really is scary how much they know about us. There was another thread a few days ago about security questions being creepy. I totally agree. It's amazing how much they "know" about us. Everything we purchase, where we shop, where we live, who we are related to: it is all out there, and someone is grabbing every bit of that data and compiling it.

Digital convenience and privacy don't get along.

Read a book called "The Power of Habit". There's a chapter dedicated to what Target and other companies know about you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you think retailers know a lot about you, Uncle Sam knows EVERYTHING about you!

True, but I don't think they use that info for financial gain....more just a power trip.

The fact that they can track my movements in order to send me coupons for nearby stores is scary. It is also why I never enable location based services on my phone. I only turn that feature on if I need to use my phone to get directions, and once I arrive at my destination, I turn it off.

Unless you also turn your phone off, you're still being tracked. Really no need to turn Location Services on and off like this.

They usually track by wifi. That's why a lot of establishments offer free wifi. But even if you are not connected to their wifi, they can track you. That is why, in the latest version of Android, you can configure your wifi/security settings to not be tracked by wireless access points.

The fact that they can track my movements in order to send me coupons for nearby stores is scary. It is also why I never enable location based services on my phone. I only turn that feature on if I need to use my phone to get directions, and once I arrive at my destination, I turn it off.

Unless you also turn your phone off, you're still being tracked. Really no need to turn Location Services on and off like this.

Yes, the phone company and by extension the government can still track me, but I don't think CC companies can track me if location services are turned off. And if you're worried about the government tracking you, then I don't think turning off the phone is even good enough. My understanding is the battery has to be removed. I have an iPhone, so taking the battery out is hard to do :-) And while I disapprove of the government tracking, I'm unwilling to forego modern convenience just to make a statement.

The credit card companies likely aren't tracking you, though. The banking apps I have installed on my iPhone only use location services when I have the bank's app open, and even that limited amount of access can be set to "never" if you go to Privacy/Location Services.

Dont know about these companies, but the govt can track your phone, listen to your microphone etc even with your phone turned off.

There's even talks that they record all phone conversations. ALL OF THEM. It's well known that every phone call in the Bahamas, Caymans, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran are recorded. I'm sure it goes deeper.

Dont know about these companies, but the govt can track your phone, listen to your microphone etc even with your phone turned off.

There's even talks that they record all phone conversations. ALL OF THEM. It's well known that every phone call in the Bahamas, Caymans, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran are recorded. I'm sure it goes deeper.

Which is why the Powers That Be want Apple to remove device encryption off iPhone. My guess is they can't decrypt a FaceTime stream - or it takes a massive amount of CPU time to look for that needle in a haystack.

I suppose I am overly trustful of the fact that since I am not engaged in anything illegal,they can track me all they like.

Also, since I've been passing FBI background checks for nigh on 35 years,they already know everything.

It's seems to be more trouble than it's worth to try and block it.

Just pull your LN reports to make DD sure they don't have you mixed up with someone else.

Mine is perfectly clean and accurate. Comes from having an uncommon name, I think.

Which is why the Powers That Be want Apple to remove device encryption off iPhone. My guess is they can't decrypt a FaceTime stream - or it takes a massive amount of CPU time to look for that needle in a haystack.
If the NSA quantum computer is online, as it is thought to be, the Apple code is cracked in less than 5 seconds. Wont help local or state law enforcement, but the big dogs have it all. Edited by Konrad2012

If the NSA quantum computer is online, as it is thought to be, the Apple code is cracked in less than 5 seconds. Wont help local or state law enforcement, but the big dogs have it all.

If the NSA can crack it, why do they want to ban it?? Makes no sense. Seems the crooks are in kahoots with the gover... oh wait the Government ARE the true crooks

Edited by IndyPoolPlayer

If the radio is off, the phone cannot be tracked, period. Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling paranoia.

I find it amusing that so many people are worried about the government tracking them, yet are perfectly happy to post the minutiae of their daily lives on Facebook and Twitter. :rofl:

If the radio is off, the phone cannot be tracked, period. Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling paranoia.

You are ABSOLUTELY wrong: http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/06/technology/security/nsa-turn-on-phone/

If the Phone is powered down it can't be tracked. But that's only if it is actually powered down.

Phones can, and have been hacked to simulate power down. There are potentially different levels of hacking. Leaving on the Cell radio portion that handshakes with towers but otherwise simulating a power down would still draw power and would be discoverable by monitoring battery levels. However, if all phone hardware operations were powered down the cell phone could still capture sound, save it, then exfiltrate it when the phone was powered back up. Depending on the phone design it takes very little power to do that and a phone can easily store weeks of continuous sound capture.

That said, this is not something run of the mill hackers do and it does require the phone hardware to have enough control over subsystems to enable it. Easier to do with tablets and laptops. Again, the main motivation for 99.9% of hacking is gathering information to facilitate financial theft. One can reasonably presume the NSA's interest in that relates to understanding and controlling the ability of adversaries to deploy it against us as a weapon or counterintelligence technique in addition to enhancing our own tradecraft. At least one assumes they do this.

You are ABSOLUTELY wrong: http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/06/technology/security/nsa-turn-on-phone/

No, I am ABSOLUTELY right. That article is about a hack that simulates power down. The radio would still be on in that case, so the phone could be tracked. Unless you are a "high value target" such as a druglord or a terrorist, the government is not going to waste resources tracking you like that. As for me, I've lived at the same address for over a decade. If Uncle Sam wants to talk to me, they know exactly where to find me.

Again, if the radio is really off, such as if you pulled the battery, then the phone cannot be tracked. You cannot violate the laws of physics.

How you wield that little piece of plastic can reveal how well you care for your home, the state of your marriage, whether you're a customer worth keeping ... and a lot more.....http://www.rd.com/advice/saving-money/credit-card-companies/

They are correct about the last item. If you have been a good customer, you will generally get good retention offers if they think you might close your account. Even a minor thing like asking them if they can waive an AF can open a bag of retention goodies for you. Been there, done that, a number of times.

As always, of course, YMMV.

I find it amusing that so many people are worried about the government tracking them, yet are perfectly happy to post the minutiae of their daily lives on Facebook and Twitter. :rofl:

YES.!

Don't forget about Ancestry. Com.

The last post in this topic was posted 1881 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.