Strange "Refund" check from Bank of America? Is this some sort of scam??

clc222

The last post in this topic was posted 2433 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

The wife and I received a letter with attached check in the mail yesterday which strikes me as a little odd... I'm just wondering if any of you guys happen to know anything about it. The letter/check is from "Bank of America Refund Administrator", and references our old Bank of America mortgage which was IIB back in 2011. The letter reads:

"We have enclosed a check for you

Based on a recent review of your account, we may not have provided you with the level of service you deserve, and are providing you this check. There is nothing you need to do other than cash your check.

You may wish to consult with a qualified individual or organization about any possible tax or other consequences resulting from your receipt of these funds.

We're here to help

If you have any questions, please call Customer Service at 1.866.880.0327, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Central. We look forward to continuing to serve your financial needs."

...and that's it.

The return address is:

Bank of America Refund Administrator

PO Box 2455

Faribault, MN 55021-9155

I tend to be a bit on the paranoid side anyway, so of course I've gone out to see if I can figure out what this is all about... I did find some references to BOA sending out checks attached to letters containing this wording (with a different customer service phone number), but that was in regards to some class action settlement related to BOA not adhering to the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA). Neither of us are service members (as much as I wanted to be when I was still young enough to enlist), so the SCRA settlement wouldn't apply to us. The SCRA settlement also seemed to be related to credit cards only, but this letter references our old mortgage account with BOA.

I can't seem to find any references to the "Refund Administrator", and the SCRA-related results I found do not reference this "office" (they reference a completely different office). I also can't find any references to the customer service phone number they'd provided which link the number to BOA at all (the only references I have found for this # is on "Who-Called-Me" type of sites which seem to indicate that this number was associated with a telemarketer a few years ago.

The check (which is drafted on US Bank, btw) looks legit (watermarks, legit routing numbers -- albeit the MICR is not in the usual format --, etc), but the lack of any verifiable information as to it's origin concerns me... The fact that the check is drafted on a different bank makes me wonder if this is related to some sort of class action lawsuit, but I can't find anything solid to tell me what this is all about. The most recent mortgage-related settlement I can find regarding BOA was last year.

Has anyone else gotten a check like this, or have any idea why we received the check?

No, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth... I'm looking the rest of it over to make sure I don't have to haul something to the glue factory :stop:

Probably got caught doing something wrong, and have a court order to refund something, but they don't want to admit to any wrongdoing so they don't face a bunch of class action lawsuits.

That's what I'm thinking, too...but I just can't pinpoint it to anything specific, and the lack of any info regarding why we got it makes me question it's legitimacy.

Is there anything they could be trying to do to you?

We were thinking the same thing.

The mortgage we had with them was not reaffirmed when we did CH7 back in '11 (even though we'd asked them to do so). We walked away from the home back in '13 (after finding out that the loan was not reaffirmed). We're currently trying to short sale the home that the mortgage was for, just to get it out of our names so we can move on, and we did just have an offer fall through because of BOA's greed. I'm wondering if this is related to the failed short sale? I checked their short sale/DIL portal, and there's nothing in there indicating that we would be receiving a check for the failed sale.

I've been racking my head trying to figure out how cashing this check could be used against me... If it's a scam, then the check bounces and I end up paying a fee. Even if the account and check are legit, whoever has access to the issuing account will have the ability to get a copy of my signature (which can then be forged/copied/printed/etc -- not that it takes a genius to spoof my signature :blush2: ) to make it look as though I'd signed documents.

I'm going to try to get in touch with US Bank tomorrow to at least verify whether or not the check is legit. Based on what I'm reading of other BOA settlement payouts, the local BOA branches probably have no clue what this is in regards to.

I wonder if my realtor (who has been working with BOA for the short sale) has any clue what this is about... Gotta' send him a text.

We received the same letter and a check on Sat. 11/28/15. We had a mortgage with BOA that we had to walk away from in 2013. It is a long story We were never behind on payments but could not continue paying due to a family tragedy. They refused to restructure our mortgage. We always paid on time for years so that part about "we may not have provided you with the level of service you deserve" is true. Our check is for $281.32. I verified that there is some sort of BOA "refund office" in Faribault, MN but I too remain skeptical as to what this is all about. I also think that it may be some sort of court-ordered reparation and they prefer not to supply the details. Let me know what you find out from your telephone call.

Ok. I took a chance and called the number given in the letter (from my work phone). The prerecorded message identified the number as belonging to BOA, and said that the check was in regards to some overpayment thing. It also referenced some marketing (??) Firm as being the "independent 3rd party" handling the distribution of the funds, with the funds being supplied by BOA.

I vaguely recall reading something about an overpayment settlement this past weekend, but I can't remember where now. I'll have to see if I can dig it up again.

We also received one on Saturday. Called the number listed on letter which is a third party company Rust Consulting Incorporated. Which is an actual company that we received a valid check from years ago. I called US bank but they will not tell me if the check is valid unless the other party is on the line also. We do not have a local US bank branch in our area. Called BOA and they have no idea what this check is about. They are looking in to it and I'm waiting for a callback. The check looks legitimate. It has the correct account number listed, all watermarks and the proper signature. Still a bit leery though.

Rust consulting just returned my phone call regarding this check although they cannot give me any information regarding it since its in my husbands name they did say it's in regards to a class action law suit. They are a legitimate company registered with the BBB. I'm going to deposit my check today.

The last post in this topic was posted 2433 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.