Amex IIB in 2005, should I try for a card now?

The last post in this topic was posted 1961 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

You could always just apply. If you are on the BL, they won't even pull your credit. They will just insta-deny you. So, if you are still on the list, it won't even result in a hard pull. If they pull your file, you aren't on the BL, and with your scores, you will most likely be approved.

As for the BL, it seems that there are datapoints all over the place about it without too much rhyme or reason. Some get back in quickly, others seem to still be on the BL 20 years later. It does seem like you can't have a BK showing on your reports to get an Amex. Some people seem to have been able to get a Costco Amex with a 7 or 8 yr old BK showing, but that was definitely the exception rather than the rule.

If you do apply, let us know what happens...

Drew4,

DW and I were both approved for Amex with 5 year BKII on reports and 700 FICOs. Never BK'd Amex though.

Thanks for the info, although, I still think you probably got lucky.

From what I have read (and experienced) it is rather rare for Amex to approve with a BK showing. They also frown on judgements. From what I've read, it appears they are more forgiving of COs than they are of BKs or judgements. But again, YMMV, and I'm glad they gave you a shot!

I, OTOH, burned Amex in 2009, they sued me and got a judgement, which I discharged in BK early last year. I am still on their BL and plan on being there for the next 8 or nine years at least :blush: .

Drew4,

DW and I were both approved for Amex with 5 year BKII on reports and 700 FICOs. Never BK'd Amex though.

Thanks for the info, although, I still think you probably got lucky.

From what I have read (and experienced) it is rather rare for Amex to approve with a BK showing. They also frown on judgements. From what I've read, it appears they are more forgiving of COs than they are of BKs or judgements. But again, YMMV, and I'm glad they gave you a shot!

I, OTOH, burned Amex in 2009, they sued me and got a judgement, which I discharged in BK early last year. I am still on their BL and plan on being there for the next 8 or nine years at least :blush: .

I was surprised also. I applied for myself and DW when our scores hit 700. With a lot of new lines and CLIs from existing cards I decided to go for it. Was shocked at approval... No luv at 61 days though. BK on record cited a reason for denial.

Amex approves folks with a BK showing 5 years after discharge. There are several threads about this in the past year. This does not apply to folks who burned Amex in the BK.

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=536676

You are right... I guess I never paid attention to it because I burned them, so it wasn't relevant to my situation. And it looks like the OP included AMEX in his BK as well.

Still, thank you for pointing it out because I am sure it is very relevant to some of those reading this thread, and no one else had mentioned it.

Amex approves folks with a BK showing 5 years after discharge. There are several threads about this in the past year. This does not apply to folks who burned Amex in the BK.

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=536676

You are right... I guess I never paid attention to it because I burned them, so it wasn't relevant to my situation. And it looks like the OP included AMEX in his BK as well.

Still, thank you for pointing it out because I am sure it is very relevant to some of those reading this thread, and no one else had mentioned it.

BTW - Amex is strict about the 5 year rule - must be 5 or more past discharge. Folks have tried a few months early and been denied.

Edited by Losluv

Amex was IIB for a BK7 by me in 2005.

I currently have a FICO of 822. I am aware of the Blacklist but I was wondering if it might be worth my while to try.

My wife has an Amex but I know they can deny people as AU's.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Test the BL by attempting to add yourself as an AU to her card.

If you're on the BL, Amex won't allow it.

No, seems better to just apply than to do this. Amex, at least in the past, has been known to close the accounts of people who try to add a blacklisted person as an AU. Even if there's only a slight chance of that happening, that would be a far worse outcome than applying and being auto-denied (or even taking a hard pull and being denied).

No, seems better to just apply than to do this. Amex, at least in the past, has been known to close the accounts of people who try to add a blacklisted person as an AU. Even if there's only a slight chance of that happening, that would be a far worse outcome than applying and being auto-denied (or even taking a hard pull and being denied).

I've never heard of that. They just deny the AU.

You might as well apply though. They won't HP if you're on the BL.

I've seen it mentioned once or twice, either here or at FlyerTalk. Regardless, the OP says he has an 822 FICO. If he's blacklisted, he'll get auto-denied; if he's not blacklisted, he'll get approved. No sense at all in going the AU route first.

The last post in this topic was posted 1961 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.