I'm thinking there's better ways...

The last post in this topic was posted 1975 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Seeking advice on new ways to easily use sock-drawered cards 3-4 times a year.

Thanks to CB, I have 350k+ CLs distributed between 21 "major" credit cards (and 2 store-only cards - Lowe's, Amazon)

The major players are (by total credit issued, not including NPSL or Signature/World Elite flexibility) -

Synchrony

AMEX

NFCU

Chase

Capital One

Barclays

Bank of America

CITI

with Nordstrom's, Discover, Comenity, Wells Fargo, US Bank bringing up the rear.

I've been following a schedule to pull cards and physically using them for gas, drive-thru's, etc. then PIF-ing them right away.

I don't know if electronic wallets are easier/safer. Please chime in.

Advice on how to do it easier is much appreciated!!

I do the same. Lunch or ice cream. Something simple,pif and mo v e on.

Ditto... but I only have 14... 1/3 easier... :yu:

Thanks guys :-)

I am just trying to reduce the tedium of card rotations... not that I don't appreciate what having and maintaining good credit is all about.

Plus I want to streamline those purchases so I don't waste dollars on non-rewards cards etc.

Edited by MistralsDaughter

I just buy $.50 Amazon gift cards every couple of months.

You do that online I assume? How do you redeem the GCs?

You can buy the e-mail code ones and then you just redeem the code when you want to make a purchase.

Edit: you can also schedule them for future purchase which may make your life a bit easier

Edited by Big Bear

I've heard that Amazon trick before...that might work. What I ended up doing was taking my sock drawer cards (the more obscure ones that I will NEVER carry on me regularly) and using them for the stuff I auto-pay monthly (utilities, Netflix, etc) and then PIF. This way I never have to worry about rotating any of them with any frequency...and lowers the number I DO have to remember to use for things like the Amazon trick.

Yes, online. They email a code to you that you enter into your account and it will credit your account with the amount.

You can buy the e-mail code ones and then you just redeem the code when you want to make a purchase.

Edit: you can also schedule them for future purchase which may make your life a bit easier

That's cool. Plus its not a lot of money that it takes away from earning more worthy rewards on other cards

Yes, online. They email a code to you that you enter into your account and it will credit your account with the amount.

That's cool. Plus its not a lot of money that it takes away from earning more worthy rewards on other cards

Agreed. I've done the gift cards, $5 starbucks cards, etc to accomplish those two things: keep cards active and maximize the rewards earning expenses.

I've heard that Amazon trick before...that might work. What I ended up doing was taking my sock drawer cards (the more obscure ones that I will NEVER carry on me regularly) and using them for the stuff I auto-pay monthly (utilities, Netflix, etc) and then PIF. This way I never have to worry about rotating any of them with any frequency...and lowers the number I DO have to remember to use for things like the Amazon trick.

Also a great idea. My wife and I do this with Hulu, Netflix,etc. 'Inexpensive' reoccurring expenses.

I have some that I put Netflix, HULU, util on...

But I'm also looking for strategies that give me real rewards faster by focusing on the heavy-lifter, daily-driver cards than having to distribute spending over a greater number of cards... just to accomplish occasional usage

I am just trying to reduce the tedium of card rotations... not that I don't appreciate what having and maintaining good credit is all about.

Plus I want to streamline those purchases so I don't waste dollars on non-rewards cards etc.

Don't kill yourself with worry to save $20 bucks in a year in lost rewards... this is supposed to fun as well as rewarding...

Don't kill yourself with worry to save $20 bucks in a year in lost rewards... this is supposed to fun as well as rewarding...

I agree. It's not that much in rewards that you would likely be missing. I think the easiest is the Amazon gift card method mentioned above at $0.50 per card with your 21 bank cards will only be $10.50 of future Amazon spend that you are prepaying by buying gift cards each time you do it. I think that is worth doing once or twice per year even if you have a card that gives you 5% cash back on Amazon.

I agree. It's not that much in rewards that you would likely be missing. I think the easiest is the Amazon gift card method mentioned above at $0.50 per card with your 21 bank cards will only be $10.50 of future Amazon spend that you are prepaying by buying gift cards each time you do it. I think that is worth doing once or twice per year even if you have a card that gives you 5% cash back on Amazon.

How often do you process transactions to keep cards open without risking AA or Closure

How often do you process transactions to keep cards open without risking AA or Closure

I usually do it twice per year. January and July.

I can pay my phone bill online $1 at a time. ;)

This made me smile :-)

Is there a benefit to that? :angel:

Aside from making sure every card gets used at least once every two months, every time I make a bill payment via Discover Bank they pay me $0.10. Actually, now $0.20 until the end of the year. :)

Shafting Disco for $5 a month feels good. Think of it as Karma for a $500 CLI hard pull. ;)

The last post in this topic was posted 1975 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.