Insane Credit Pulls- Portfolio Recovery

The last post in this topic was posted 2004 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Portfolio Recovery is pulling my credit reports constantly. On a relaxed month, they soft pull weekly. On an optimistic month, it's two or more times a week. It is completely nuts. They may send a letter every other month or so saying due to the age of the debt, we can't sue or report, but pay us anyway.

Edited by SunnySideUp32

As long as they aren't doing a HP, there's not much you can do. A debt doesn't disappear once it passes SOL for collections or reporting.

If it is past SOL for collections and reporting, you could always try a CFPB dispute to get them to quit.

No they aren't hard pulls, only soft pulls. I was thinking about seeing if the CFPB could get them to stop. The amount of pulls are excessive and unnecessary.

If they are softs, PR could pull 100 times a day, and it would have ZERO effect on your score.

Yes, but it's not about affecting your score or credit.

It's about them accessing our personal data for no legit purpose. The debt is past the SOL, they know it, they said it to the OP. While the debt may still "exist", it's no longer legally enforceable and the PP for accessing ones credit seems to be a grey area.

The debt is still valid and collectible and always will be until paid. SOL for legal action or reporting to CRAs does not change this. They still have PP because the money is still owed, even if they have no legal way to force anyone to pay it.

If I remember correctly there are only 2 states that extinguish the debt after the SOL runs out making the debts no longer valid or collectible. Mississippi ans Wisconsin extinguish debt when it becomes time-barred. In those 2 states they would cease to have PP any longer after SOL passes.

SOL for legal action does not change whether the debt is collectible?

No, it only limits the options they have to collect it. About the only way they can collect after SOL is by asking or trying to scare someone into paying it. That's why FOAD letters work in this situation because they do not want to waste time and money trying to collect on someone who knows that they really cant force you into payment. They are looking for suckers.

Yes because pulling that garage through a "legal method" where the consumer shows up and knows their rights would yield quite the opposite results for the CA. Asking/scaring is the only way they can try to get payment. There is no legal action that can be taken.

Maybe you can start to get some B* if you can get them to pull daily :beee:

If you have sent them a FOAD and they are still contacting you about the same account, you can file a CFPB complaint about that, but as far as softing your reports, they are allowed to do that and I know of no way to stop that.

This is another good reason to clean your reports of old addresses. JDBs have been known to "sewer serve" people and obtain default judgments. A debt being time-barred is an affirmative defense only if you present it to the court. These types of default judgments are only found out about later and then you have to deal with the aftermath of getting it vacated, which can be a process.

If your report only shows your current address, and the JDB has been softing you, it will help show that they knew your current address but "served" you at a different address. Also keeping any letters they send you at your current address serves the same purpose.

One can never be to vigilant dealing with these scum bags.

PRA softed me weekly for about 2 years, and sent me letters every other month once my credit recovery began and my scores started rising. They must have thought I would pony up. The debt was well outside the SOL and credit reporting period. I let them spend the time and money.

Sent a FOAD, they sent me back their "validation" and an identity theft form to fill out and send back if I thought it was not mine. That was the last correspondence I have received from them and they have not softed my report since. This was over a year ago.

The last post in this topic was posted 2004 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.