Prepaid debit card

The last post in this topic was posted 2020 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

This isn't exactly a credit quest but I knew someone here would know the answer. My 13year old daughter is going Saturday with a friend and her parents to a resort in the Dominican Republic. I wanted to give her a little spending money and figured it would be best to use a prepaid. I know not all prepaids are accepted overseas. What would be my best card option to pick up at a store tomorrow.

This is what I found so far, still looking...

As long as your prepaid card bears the MasterCard or Visa logo and you notify your issuer of your travel plans, you should be able to use it abroad and it is an “international prepaid card".

To OP

if you had more time VISA has a prepaid called Visa Buxx for teens which you can personalize with a photo since most teens don't have regular ID cards but I suspect your teen must have a passport.

http://www.buxx.com/

844-269-5071

Many banks also have an affiliate VISA Buxx program like US Bank, Nationwide, Navy Federal etc.

Best wishes!

To OP

if you had more time VISA has a prepaid called Visa Buxx for teens which you can personalize with a photo since most teens don't have regular ID cards but I suspect your teen must have a passport.

http://www.buxx.com/

844-269-5071

Many banks also have an affiliate VISA Buxx program like US Bank, Nationwide, Navy Federal etc.

Best wishes!

Thanks for that link! I don't have time to get that for her trip but it sounds like something I need to look into as a tool to learn financial management.

As far as I know, Kaiku is the only prepaid option that has no foreign transaction fee. I do not have first hand experience if they add a margin to forex rate.

https://www.kaiku.com/fees

AMEX is the only major issuer I know that lets you set a spending limit on authorized cards, but it does require the authorized cardholder to be at least 15 years of age. Technical speaking, you can authorize yourself a card with your daughter name on it and set a spending limit, then give the card to your daughter for her trip. Ideally you would want to do it on an AMEX card that has no foreign transaction fee.

I found out the hard way that pre-paid debit cards issued in the US do not work overseas. Neither do any of the visa or amex gift cards. And being that your child is leaving in a day, there is only one option.

You will need to purchase a Mastercard Travel Card from your local Travelex Foreign Exchange office. They are usually located in high end hotels, or airports. You can do a search for the location at www.travelex.com.

They will issue you a Mastercard Travel card that you can load with the pre-set limit, and also they can tell you the current exchange rates, so you make sure you put enough money on it.

My 12 and 13 year old's spend the summers in Ireland with the grandparents, and this is what we do when they travel over there. Just be aware of one thing, while most places over in Ireland accept the card from the kids them selves, there have been a couple of instances where the merchant has requested an adult present during the transaction.

Good luck.

The last post in this topic was posted 2020 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.