the problem with discover

The last post in this topic was posted 1621 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

wanted to make a consolidated thread in which people can post all their problems with discover.

the problems I have had and have always had are as follows

cash back not crediting...specifically the 5% categories

another problem, shop discover credits back when it feels like it, the bonus cash back seems like it is given when discover wants to open its wallet

to date I have had it credit back correctly 3 times...this is out of around 40 attempts.

onto the credit line....having had the card 2 separate times (I did not learn the first) the credit limit has always been my lowest limit

the first time I took a hard pull for a $500.00 line to give me a $250.00 cli...still my lowest line by 1,000s....on the second go I was approved for $500.00 it will not budge and its not for lack of trying and the card was used heavily keeping its limit in mind on both occasions

this is a complaint thread not an argument thread......

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with Discover is the ever evolving categories that require signup for each. Years ago I obtained the 5% cash back gas card with NO caps. Discover ended that program after about two years after rollout. Since then the rewards are all capped. Not a big fan of low caps.

That said, I've never been cheated out of my 5% cash back on the rotating purchases, ever.

I've never used shop discover.

I'm really bummed they got rid of ShopDiscover and now only have Discover Deals, because they just don't have the same level of discounts. I could consistently find 20% off on most stores I shopped, then add promo codes through the stores website.

Really stoked for this thread, it should help people consolidate their hate into one spot instead of littering others threads. Great idea juggs.

They missed a couple of my 5% in 2 years so my experience certainly isn't as bad as some had mentioned here. Transactions posted a day or two before the billing cycle tended to be credited in the next billing cycle and other than that, they had been crediting me correctly. I remember shop discover wasn't as reliable as other cashback sites. I stopped using them for more than a year now so I don't know if things are improving.

I don't understand why you have to signup for the different categories. Why isn't it just automatic? That's just silly to me.

Requiring a proactive sign up represents a huge savings for Discover in forfeited rewards from those who fail to do so.
Well I'll be one of those who fails to do it. How on earth am I supposed to remember?!

Last mail I got from Discover: "We have automatically activated you to earn 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases made at Amazon.com, Department Stores & Clothing Stores from OctoberDecember 2015.*"

Maybe they do this for some or those not signed up for paperless statements.

Thinking not ALL discover card holder have smartphone apps and online access?

I don't understand why you have to signup for the different categories. Why isn't it just automatic? That's just silly to me.

Requiring a proactive sign up represents a huge savings for Discover in forfeited rewards from those who fail to do so.

Right. And since there are significant number of cardholders who keep the card in the wallet and use it for non bonus purchases, that's even more beneficial to Discover.

I have nothing negative to say about the rewards. It's a cash back card, and doesn't really interest me.

BUT it is the ugliest card I have except for my Cap1 QS.

I have the MN Wild on my IT card :rofl:

I use it for max 5% bonus and that's about it...

I was just about to be that "I've got no problem with Discover" guy...then I noticed one of my Discover cards isn't reporting on my CR! And it happens to be the one with the highest CL at $4K. But of course my IT card with over 80% usage on a $750 limit is reporting.

Oh, and I have Blackhawks on mine. I think that automatically makes it a great card.

I'm really bummed they got rid of ShopDiscover and now only have Discover Deals, because they just don't have the same level of discounts. I could consistently find 20% off on most stores I shopped, then add promo codes through the stores website.

Really stoked for this thread, it should help people consolidate their hate into one spot instead of littering others threads. Great idea juggs.

I believe that Discover Deals is run by a different company than the one that ran ShopDiscover. Many people had problems getting paid from ShopDiscover. I haven't read of anyone having the same problems with Discover Deals.

It's the same thing with Chase Freedom. That allows the bank to control costs because less rewards dollars are paid out. If it was automatic, it might be less than 5%.

Exactly.

We should be happy they make you sign up.

Most people don't so they keep better programs.

True. At the end of the day, those of us who take full advantage of the rewards are subsidized by those who do not take the necessary steps to earn the maximum.

First received my Discover card in 2009 with a $5000 limit. I used it for some furniture purchases for my new home, and ran the utilization up to around 68%. I was making minimum payments, as I was snowballing. Out of nowhere they lowered my limit to $3500. I had, and still have no negative marks on my reports. This took my utilization with them up to 97%, which tanked my scores. I put the card in my sock drawer, and have not used it since. Card is now paid in full, but I have not canceled due to aging. I refuse to use it again, and I am just waiting for them to cancel for lack of use. My score prior to them cutting my limit was in the low 700's, and they tanked it about 50 points. My scores now are in the upper 700's.

p.s. There rewards are a joke :)

Well, I didn't like my Discover much before this summer. I was upset that the limit never budged, but that got fixed quickly this summer. I don't use it much except for the 5%, and I have been keeping a low balance on it for the 0%, but it isn't a bad card at all in my experience.

If you think it's ugly, just get another design, I do every couple of months just because. I got the purple one, and the American Flag, much nicer than the QS card as well as a few others.

The last post in this topic was posted 1621 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.