Sign in to follow this  
flgrl75

Collection callers....

Just a quick question....so Financial Corp just called, regarding a medical bill. They asked to verify my address and telephone number. My response was, " could u please just send me in writing whatever you are trying to address" I didn't confirm either, is that the correct way to handle collection calls?

I believe I heard not to give any info. Just wanted to verify that.

Thanx!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Just a quick question....so Financial Corp just called, regarding a medical bill. They asked to verify my address and telephone number. My response was, " could u please just send me in writing whatever you are trying to address" I didn't confirm either, is that the correct way to handle collection calls?

I believe I heard not to give any info. Just wanted to verify that.

Thanx!

IMHO, don't talk to them in the first place.

You did right.

By law, they should send you something in writing within the next 5 business days.

NEVER, EVER, give out any personal information or banking information to a CA.

^^^^Exactly!

Never provide or confirm any information over the phone TO ANYONE on a call that YOU did not initiate.

And do not initiate calls. ..everything in writing

Awesome, it pays to be addicted to this Forum, lol. I was waiting on a call back from Southwest, so I thought it was them, nope surprise, Financial Corp. I'm in the process of moving AND fixing my credit so I'm sure I have a nice huge stack of mailing waiting on me. Thanx guys, much appreciated!

just a thought since you're moving and your credit may not be 100% clean.....

What I did was forward my mail to a UPS box (like $90/quarter or something). Had ALL my mail sent there while I was in credit cleaning process.. When it was clean, I applied for the cards I wanted with that address so that was the address on my credit report, then closed the box and gave only those who needed to know my address. (I had the box for about 18mos). With tracing companies, I'm sure my new address isn't private (thank you utility companies), but it was nice to know everything coming to my new house was part of the clean start. I'm not sure my strategy had much to do with with cleaning my credit, but was good mentally. Since I only picked up my mail 1-2x/week, it was less stressful than having notices build up next to door. Also, there was one acount back in the day I was worried about serving me, and the box I thought might slow them down..... but can neither confirm nor deny that.... whatever works for you :D

Thanx Jen!! Yes , actually that is the plan! We aren't settled in Texas yet, we are staying with his family for a few months. I'm taking my time looking at rentals and hope to be settled by the first of the year.

Actually changed Geico over today because we HAD to and with adding 3 Mandatory things our rate still went down $150 per 6 months. I was pleasantly surprised! I will go tomorrow, to get a p.o box! It's so much easier for now. I will follow your steps and look forward to only good credit to follow me to my fresh start! :)

good news is that you'll have the TDCA on your side.

fwiw, the company did try to serve me but since I instructed UPS not to receive/sign certified mail and I worked for myself.... they couldn't find me (or didn't try very hard). I don't recommend this as a strategy, but it was a nice byproduct and bought me a little time until I could deal with the zombie-debt-buying-SOBs on my own terms/time. YMMV.

Well besides one charge off left from Ex, due to fall off Oct 15 and 2 minor ( well nothing bad on our reports is minor ) collections under $200. Which I'm trying to deal with those BUT first I'm working on moving, changing address (p.o box), new DL, insurance, all that jazz. So besides paying my cap 1 in full this week, looks like I have to wait a week or two until I can start attacking again. I will most definitely ask them not to sign any mail, that's a great tip! Much appreciated.

Moving to another state is a lot of work!

Well besides one charge off left from Ex, due to fall off Oct 15 and 2 minor ( well nothing bad on our reports is minor ) collections under $200. Which I'm trying to deal with those BUT first I'm working on moving, changing address (p.o box), new DL, insurance, all that jazz. So besides paying my cap 1 in full this week, looks like I have to wait a week or two until I can start attacking again. I will most definitely ask them not to sign any mail, that's a great tip! Much appreciated.

Moving to another state is a lot of work!

The tradeline due to fall off 10/15 can be disputed online or over the phone as obsolete/too old to be reporting.

I tried online last week....no go. Now it won't let me back on. They took of my only other charge off 3 months back with exact same dates. Only that one wasn't reporting my balance like this one is. I'll give it a try tomorrow, weird how these CRA's can be quick to delete some similar accounts but yet not budge on others.

I tried online last week....no go. Now it won't let me back on. They took of my only other charge off 3 months back with exact same dates. Only that one wasn't reporting my balance like this one is. I'll give it a try tomorrow, weird how these CRA's can be quick to delete some similar accounts but yet not budge on others.

EX is a strange beast!