Paying a COLLECTION ? Any benefit ? FICO 9 ?

Joeyzoom208

The last post in this topic was posted 3111 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hi all! New to this amazing site as a poster, but been lurking for advice for a year now. I started rebuilding 10 months ago with scores in the high 400-low 500's, am now at:

TU 566

EQ 561

EX 582

These are myFICO scores. True FICO 8. I have 2 baddies left -- one Collection that I just paid for $316 from Portfolio Recovery on behalf of Cap One, and one First PREMIER CO account for $416 unpaid, due to age off in April -- however, I am awaiting this to be deleted as I did a direct dispute due to major inaccuracies in reporting across all 3 bureaus. Now, I have 5 credit cards as follows, and have gotten my UTIL down to 55%, from almost 90%. My goal is 25% by October, as I know this will greatly improve my scores as well. Here are my limits:

Barclaycard APPLE VISA: $3,000 - $2,600 balance financing iMac

CareCredit: $3,000 - $1,299 balance 0% APR

Western FCU VISA: $1,000 - $1.50 balance

Capital One QS1: $1,000 - $299 balance

Credit One: $600 - $225 balance

FingerHut: $250 (LOL!) - $0 balance

​I am discouraged that my scores aren't higher, and I am now told that paying that collection may not jump my score at all. HOWEVER*** I was told by FICO directly that the newest scoring model, FICO 9, IGNORES collections that have reached a $0 balance! If only I can find lenders who use FICO 9 -- any ideas here ? Once that reports as a closed, PIF Collection (it's only 5 months old), my score should go up a bit with the FICO 9 at least, not sure about FICO 8. . .

Also, if FP deletes my CO, as many have had success with after a direct dispute, I could see a jump too. Any and all advice here is much appreciated. I am getting discouraged, as my VantageScores seem to jump each time I pay an account or UTIL down even a little, but FICOs much slower. I am aiming for a 640-660 by Christmas, to app for higher end cards with higher CLs! Thank you in advance, I am excited to be on this journey with so many others! -- Joey

TBH, the only way I would pay a collection that was reporting would be if the CA agreed IN WRITING to permanently delete the TL and, if it was a settlement for less than the full balance, agreed IN WRITING to never reassign or sell the remainder to anyone else, ever.

Short of that, they can pound sand.

The last post in this topic was posted 3111 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.