What is your average electricity bill?

The last post in this topic was posted 2006 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Are you serious? Can you please elaborate. I am in AZ, I heard you have to pay a fee to connect to grid and the solar system can take 20+ years to pay off.

Any link or tip will be appreciated.

My electric bill since I installed solar panels has been Zero. I have actually been generating more than I use so I currently have a credit balance from the electric utility.

Prior to my panels my average bill was $220 a month and I use an average of 14,000 kWh a year.

I installed the panels myself. I own my system. I get all the rebates and solar renewable energy credits. It is not a solar lease. The system will pay for itself in a under 24 months.

I was wondering that myself too

Me, too. My co-worker just signed up for something and she said something about it taking 20 years to pay off. She also got connected to these people by googling "NV Energey" and accidentally dialing the first number she saw, which was actually an ad for the solar company...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you that asked...here is my system info.

Programs and rebate vary by state. I am in Massachusetts.

Mass. has a very generous renewable energy certificate (REC) at the moment. For every 1,000 kWh of electricity I generate,I create (or mint) a REC. I will mint about 11 REC per year. These are bundled and sold quarterly. Last quarter I got $297 per REC.

The REC program lasts 10 years and the price per REC will drop about 5% annually.

I currently have 36 panels totaling 9,480 watts. This covers about 80% of my yearly electrical usage which equals to an $1,800 a year savings.

Like i said in previous posts, I purchased and installed the system myself.

Here is the breakdown:

Panels, inverters, racking hardware - $19,000

30% federal rebate - ($5,700)

state rebate & local rebates - ($4,000)

There are no utility fees. I have a net meter which spins backwards when I generate more than I use. The goal is to generate extra power in the summer when the sun is at it's highest angle and use the surplus in the winter months when generation is low or when the panels are covered in snow.

Total out of pocket after rebates - $9,300

1st year electrical savings - ($1,800)

1st REC - ($3,297)

2nd year electrical savings - ($1,820)

2nd year REC - ($3,100)

Total savings over 1st 2 years - $10,017

I am paid off in less than 2 years. Over 25 years, I will have a savings of more $60,000 compared to buying electricity from the grid.

My system has been online since January. I am about 2% ahead of estimated yearly production at the moment and the panels were completely covered in snow for 3 straight weeks in February.

For those of you that asked...here is my system info.

Programs and rebate vary by state. I am in Massachusetts.

Mass. has a very generous renewable energy certificate (REC) at the moment. For every 1,000 kWh of electricity I generate,I create (or mint) a REC. I will mint about 11 REC per year. These are bundled and sold quarterly. Last quarter I got $297 per REC.

The REC program lasts 10 years and the price per REC will drop about 5% annually.

I currently have 36 panels totaling 9,480 watts. This covers about 80% of my yearly electrical usage which equals to an $1,800 a year savings.

Like i said in previous posts, I purchased and installed the system myself.

Here is the breakdown:

Panels, inverters, racking hardware - $19,000

30% federal rebate - ($5,700)

state rebate & local rebates - ($4,000)

There are no utility fees. I have a net meter which spins backwards when I generate more than I use. The goal is to generate extra power in the summer when the sun is at it's highest angle and use the surplus in the winter months when generation is low or when the panels are covered in snow.

Total out of pocket after rebates - $9,300

1st year electrical savings - ($1,800)

1st REC - ($3,297)

2nd year electrical savings - ($1,820)

2nd year REC - ($3,100)

Total savings over 1st 2 years - $10,017

I am paid off in less than 2 years. Over 25 years, I will have a savings of more $60,000 compared to buying electricity from the grid.

My system has been online since January. I am about 2% ahead of estimated yearly production at the moment and the panels were completely covered in snow for 3 straight weeks in February.

Great info! Thanks for sharing.....

I think the problem where I live is the lack of credits/rebates. Virginia seems to be behind the times on solar right now.

Next year you need to send the kids out to get the snow off of those panels. No watts, no supper.

Except this past year the snowfall covered up the house. They had to dig tunnels to get out of the front door.

Wtf?!? Seriously, people live in places that get that sort of snow?

• Admin

Next year you need to send the kids out to get the snow off of those panels. No watts, no supper.

Except this past year the snowfall covered up the house. They had to dig tunnels to get out of the front door.

It was BAD in MA this past year.

Can someone explain REC's to me, in terms a fourth grader could understand? I get that you get one REC per X kilowatt's generated .... but what do you do with 11 REC's per year? Sell them? To whom?

Can someone explain REC's to me, in terms a fourth grader could understand? I get that you get one REC per X kilowatt's generated .... but what do you do with 11 REC's per year? Sell them? To whom?

This is the simplest explanation, although it is rather long. https://blog.heatspring.com/how-do-srecs-work/

I pay 0. Less than that actually. I generate more than I use. There is a small charge just to be hooked up but they pay you for any excess. It's close to a wash but rates are so high here ($.40/KWH) that w/o solar I'd be spending over 1k/mo with 4 HVAC units and pool pumps.

40c / kWh - holy smokes! Is that with National Grid? I thought we were getting the high hard one from Duke at 15c / kWh. Which is really 9c but there's a mess of riders and cost adjustments on there for anything from "EPA compliance" to "future clean energy that doesn't exist yet".

40c / kWh - holy smokes! Is that with National Grid? I thought we were getting the high hard one from Duke at 15c / kWh. Which is really 9c but there's a mess of riders and cost adjustments on there for anything from "EPA compliance" to "future clean energy that doesn't exist yet".

It's California. I think it's partly left over from some of the Enron inside deals for electrical power before they imploded from fraud. Sadly the contracts survived. The climate here is pretty good so the usage isn't that high for most and people tolerate it.

• 1 month later...

I just recently got new ultra-low flow showerhead and faucet aerators to help save hot water. 1.78 gpm showerhead (I think it was $26 or so) and new .5 gpm aerators (about $1 each). The shower took a short time to get used to, but now it's no big deal. The aerators - same thing.......different, but not bad.

I long ago gave up on my crappy central HVAC. I've ordered a mini-split heat pump that should be fairly efficient. Will hopefully be all installed within 3 weeks. If I'm happy with how it performs over the winter, I may get another next year.

Still wishing I could find a better deal on a new refrigerator. For the size I want, I still need to get it down about $75 more........thinking of applying for a store credit card to get the extra 10% off first purchase........but logic still says the return on that investment just isn't smart.

I just recently got new ultra-low flow showerhead and faucet aerators to help save hot water. 1.78 gpm showerhead (I think it was $26 or so) and new .5 gpm aerators (about $1 each). The shower took a short time to get used to, but now it's no big deal. The aerators - same thing.......different, but not bad.

I long ago gave up on my crappy central HVAC. I've ordered a mini-split heat pump that should be fairly efficient. Will hopefully be all installed within 3 weeks. If I'm happy with how it performs over the winter, I may get another next year.

Still wishing I could find a better deal on a new refrigerator. For the size I want, I still need to get it down about $75 more........thinking of applying for a store credit card to get the extra 10% off first purchase........but logic still says the return on that investment just isn't smart.

Pop in out of the local stores looking for clearance fridges.. Many times they have ones people just didn't like it they didn't fit etc and you can get a good deal.

• Admin

Pop in out of the local stores looking for clearance fridges.. Many times they have ones people just didn't like it they didn't fit etc and you can get a good deal.

Check out the Sears Outlet store in south CLT - they have the scratch & dent section. Got a great deal on our washer/dryer there a few years ago because there was a slight dent on the BACK of the dryer. As if I care about that. Just happy that someone else did ;)

Holy cow........I didn't even know there was a Sears Outlet in Charlotte. I work not far from that location too. I just went to their website and they have the exact one I was looking at from Lowes for $190 cheaper!! Plus when you add in the $50 I'll get from Duke for taking away my old one, that's a pretty good deal!

• Admin

Holy cow........I didn't even know there was a Sears Outlet in Charlotte. I work not far from that location too. I just went to their website and they have the exact one I was looking at from Lowes for $190 cheaper!! Plus when you add in the $50 I'll get from Duke for taking away my old one, that's a pretty good deal!

:good:

Ditto in NH. Broke some very long-standing records, this past winter.

I have a 1500sqf apartment in a beautiful old two-family New Englander. My electric bill year-round averages around $45-55. It helps that I'm a bachelor and only have my son 50% of the week, every week but the house, itself, also helps. The house is oriented along an East-West axis so the sun rises in the back and sets in the front but, being so far North, only one side of the house ever sees the sun. During the winter, the big oak trees on the property are bare so my place gets a lot of solar warmth. And I have a lot of large windows to collect all that sun. During the summer, those same oak trees are in full bloom and completely shade the house from the sun and then the other half of the house stays cool perpetually since the sun never hits it.

The low electric bill is deceiving in the winter, though, because I heat with oil and...well...you know how that can go. :(

Check out the Sears Outlet store in south CLT - they have the scratch & dent section. Got a great deal on our washer/dryer there a few years ago because there was a slight dent on the BACK of the dryer. As if I care about that. Just happy that someone else did ;)

I have a co-worker who's husband surprised her with a new set of LG front loader and dryer last year, albeit purchased from the scratch and dent section of Sears.

Well, he didn't tell her he got it from there and he went on a business trip. She called Sears herself and said her pair was scratched/dented on delivery.

Guess what, they replaced the pair free of charge!!!

She fessed up after her husband revealed to her he bought it scratched and dented. Sears said they would just call it even.

Sears CSR guesses the receipt was miscoded or something. :clapping:

I have a co-worker who's husband surprised her with a new set of LG front loader and dryer last year, albeit purchased from the scratch and dent section of Sears.

Well, he didn't tell her he got it from there and he went on a business trip. She called Sears herself and said her pair was scratched/dented on delivery.

Guess what, they replaced the pair free of charge!!!

She fessed up after her husband revealed to her he bought it scratched and dented. Sears said they would just call it even.

Sears CSR guesses the receipt was miscoded or something. :clapping:

That's really funny! Really Sear's fault for not properly documenting it.

• 2 weeks later...

The last post in this topic was posted 2006 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.