No notice, 1200 in bills to collection

The last post in this topic was posted 3151 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I am a young woman who recently finished college. I worked part time and took longer than expected to finish college for personal reasons.

I have lived with my parents my whole life and they have been responsible for all non-petty expenses. I have been on my parents insurance my entire life.

04/01 I moved in with my boyfriend about 300 miles from where I used to live.

He has an excellent job and is paying 100% of the rent and takes care of most things. I have my own job and cover all my own expenses(car insurance, phone, gas, etc)

When I moved out, my parents told me they would continue to keep me on their insurance in the short run so that I could save money. I currently work 35 hours a week doing a local job for a little over minimum wage.

April 27 of this year I went to a local clinic in Houston for an OBGYN checkup to renew my birth control. I gave them my insurance card, no one mentioned any issue at the time, visit went fine.

on 7/3 I get a notice from a collection agency for 1119$ in unpaid medical bills.

After doing some research here is what I have found.

1:I have not been on my parents insurance since 02/1 of this year, before I moved out

2:The insurance account I was under is now delinquent due to unpaid bills.

3:I currently now have no insurance which is scary.

4:The clinic I went to was unable to contact me via phone or mail(Verified my address on file was correct. They didnt provide proof of returned post and no proof of phone contact)

5:The clinic says that they are no longer willing to work with me since the account has gone to collection(its a big medical service provider where we live)

I have the money on hand to pay the bill, however I want to know how this will impact my credit. I also want to reduce damage and if possible reduce the amount.

What are my next steps?

So your parents were unable to keep you on their insurance and/or didn't want to after you moved in with your BF??

Go on line and get yourself covered through one of the Affordable Health Care Act programs.

Follow the guides:

http://www.whychat.5u.com/GUIDEBOOK.html

http://www.whychat.5u.com/GUIDE%20HIPAA%20PROGRAM.html

You can pay the OC health care provider directly with the HIPAA letter insert "a" be sure to follow the instructions exactly.

http://whychat.5u.com/hipltr.html

Ordinarily I would suggest that you find out what the regular (discounted) charges would have been IF you had been still covered,however I do NOT think it is a good idea to be in communication with the insurance Co in this case as you do NOT want to have anything else coming back to haunt you. Do your best to get previous addresses deleted if you can as I am afraid you may have some other stuff bouncing back to you.

If you have ANY medical accounts on your credit reports, send the CRAs the initial dispute letters,

http://whychat.5u.com/hipaadisp.html

this would include any reporting of the subject $1200 account, even though you will be paying it. MAKE SURE you do NOT pay the CA as the account will then be changed to a "paid" collection, which is just as bad as an unpaid one.

So should I work on the Hipaa letter first or the dispute.

I 100% know the medical bills are legit. I would have happily paid them on time if I was notified. I was unaware I wasnt covered and never notified of the amount.

Honestly, they didnt want me to move out because they think I cant make it on my own, but they agreed to keep me on the insurance to help me save money in the first year. Turns out it didnt even matter since I apparently didnt have health insurance even before I moved out :(

• Admin

The dispute is for a technical reason, not because it's actually in dispute. Just do it. This program works. Do the preliminaries now - get your paper reports, dispute old addresses and opt out. Meanwhile, read through the program until you understand it. Don't just jump in and start sending letters.

Every step has a reason that lays the basis for getting the entries deleted from your reports, but if you don't really understand the entire process you can mess it up, so study it while you're getting your old addresses deleted.

I was able to get the following.

1. Opt-Out
  2. Request the TransUnion credit report.

However, when I tried to request the Equifax and Experian credit reports they asked me questions about a home loan and credit cards that I do not own. They also listed my mothers phone number which has me worried.

What are my next steps? Should I request the reports through snail-mail and wait? or continue with the Hipaa dispute?

UH OH!!

I think you have a BIGGER problem than you realize!!

Get your reports via snail mail.

WAIT until you have all your reports before doing anything else.

Check them VERY carefully for any and all discrepancies.

I suspect that your mother opened up accounts for herself in your name

In parallel I went down to the doctors office, and they offered to accept payment directly. They tell me that this would settle things and would remove the collection agency from the loop.

Should I accept this?

In parallel I went down to the doctors office, and they offered to accept payment directly. They tell me that this would settle things and would remove the collection agency from the loop.

Should I accept this?

Pay them in cash and get a PAID IN CASH receipt, or get a bank money order and in the endorsement section write "for deposit only account of (name of Dr.)".

Make a copy of the money order front and back before giving it to them

Edited by Why Chat

Should I accept this?

Pay them in cash and get a PAID IN CASH receipt, or get a bank money order and in the endorsement section write "for deposit only account of (name of Dr.)".

They will not let me pay the doctor directly as its an office with more than 100 individual MD's. I am going to get Bank money order filled out to the provided explicitly and then give it to them.

Should I accept this?

They will not let me pay the doctor directly as its an office with more than 100 individual MD's. I am going to get Bank money order filled out to the provided explicitly and then give it to them.

How does your bill from the Dr read?? If he is in a medical practice, then you can make out the money order to the name of the practice and the endorsement the same, on the front of the MO there is a space to put the account # and your name.

The last post in this topic was posted 3151 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.