Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Do you get embarrased when your card gets declined?

The last post in this topic was posted 2019 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I don't. And it just happened to me at an AutoZone in Jersey City. I just let it be known how they need me more than I need them. It's no biggie. Though their card machines are purple; They didn't want to try it again. We had to go to another machine for the 2nd Declined. Point is they did not even want to make the effort.

So. Do YOU get embarassed when your card gets declined?

I don't. And it just happened to me at an AutoZone in Jersey City. I just let it be known how they need me more than I need them. It's no biggie. Though their card machines are purple; They didn't want to try it again. We had to go to another machine for the 2nd Declined. Point is they did not even want to make the effort.

So. Do YOU get embarassed when your card gets declined?

I don't remember what it's like to have my card declined. I guess it sucks, right? If it happens to me in the future, I'll provide you all a full report. :grin:

i get embarrassed all the time.

but it's not my fault, it's the stupid stores that upgraded their stupid machines to the stupid chip thing that's just stupid; i swipe my card and get a decline because i have to put the darn thing in the machine and let it sit there for like 10 seconds for it to get approved.

Seriously? Is it really safer? Nope - and let me tell you why - because if NOT everyone is using it, and i can still use the swipe at places that only have the swipe, then what's the point of the security of the chip.

Errr.

I have cards get declined at Target routinely.

AMEX and Kmart deny my gift card purchases 100% so far.

Is what it is.

Its embarrassing. I took my new Old Blue card around the town the other day. 3 of my 5 favorite stops (tobacco store, Chinese diner, liquor store) did not take Amex. The Chinese store did not tell me until I swiped and then the girl laughed saying it was declined!

Wanted a few Venture miles. Went to a drug store to buy my prepaids and inquired if it was OK to purchase with a CC. (CSR) Oh, I don't know, let's try it. Great it work! I would like to buy a few more. That was declined, do you have another card? Fraud alert, two identical transactions.

It happens.

I am hoping Barclay would decline me more often but they have been very good approving everything from 99 cents to 10 grands.

I do get occasional FA put on my Chase for large purchases but those are getting rare these days.

My cards don't usually get declined, nor am I embarrassed if that happens. If it involves AMEX, I will ask if they accept amex, if something else, I always politely ask if they can try again.

I am hoping Barclay would decline me more often but they have been very good approving everything from 99 cents to 10 grands.

I do get occasional FA put on my Chase for large purchases but those are getting rare these days.

Barclays declines are awesome :) The best M$ possible.

Nothing to be embarrassed about, in my opinion. Whether it's because you don't have enough credit left or a fraud alert, it's no one's business why. I just pull out another one, it goes through and I go on about my business.

Barclay declined a transaction recently, because my last purchase (pizza) was unusual for my card. Luckily that decline was for an online purchase. That verification phone call led to an apology and a credit line increase. Never let a phone call go to waste.

I don't know if I would have been embarrassed if it was an in-store transaction; but I'd rather not find out.

So you gave the AutoZone employee grief because you didn't have funds to cover your charges?

Makes sense.

Oh please. Stop it now.

I've had my Citi card declined twice. One time it was a charge made at a local store in TX and was way out of pattern for them. They texted me immediately to verify I was making the charge and then it went through the next time I used it. At the time I just used my Forward card instead.

The other time I was trying to pay for a jet charter. It was an emergency of sorts and after I found an outfit that could provide the service I tried to put 20k on my Citi. It was declined. Not surprising because it was over the phone and I'd never done anything like that before. So I called Citi while the flight office kept running my card at different levels 19k, 18k. w/o my knowledge. The Citi CSR immediately escalated the call to someone in the US. They were baffled. They could see the attempts at authorizing the charge and the declines but couldn't figure out why the charges were getting declined. We tried a manual authorization but the flight office couldn't figure out how to do a manual authorization on a three way with Citi. Eventually, the Citi CSR had an idea that some sort of recent change had been cut in and it had affected the automated systems. He asked me to hold on for about 10 minutes. Returned and told the flight office to try again and the charge was authorized.

I wasn't embarrassed long, it quickly changed to annoyed as hell and then amused that Citi would have some sort of mechanism that wasn't even disclosed to the CSRs that would decline a charge w/o any explanation when they were trying to get it approved. At least they did eventually figure it out. The Citi CSR really went out of his way to get it figured out. It seemed like he saw it as a new an interested problem and just kept at it.

I haven't had any other problems with cards.

If I'd had an Amex at the time I'm pretty sure there would have been zero issues.

Edited by cashnocredit

Embarrassed when my CC gets declined? Nope

Embarrassed when I walk out the door and the security alarm goes off? Nope

Embarrassed when I type in the wrong PIN? Yup

I used to bank through an amateur CU, and there was a time that their system was always going down. Card would get declined every so often for about 2 years. I was a little embarrassed, but always had backup to pay.

I would definitely be embarrassed if I had a full cart of groceries and no backup to pay. I guess I would feel just as bad for making the employees restock it all.

If you go to pay for a business luncheon and get denied for whatever reason, now that would be humiliating for your career. Either that or your boss gives you a raise so you can pay your bills. :rofl:

Its embarrassing. I took my new Old Blue card around the town the other day. 3 of my 5 favorite stops (tobacco store, Chinese diner, liquor store) did not take Amex. The Chinese store did not tell me until I swiped and then the girl laughed saying it was declined!

Wanted a few Venture miles. Went to a drug store to buy my prepaids and inquired if it was OK to purchase with a CC. (CSR) Oh, I don't know, let's try it. Great it work! I would like to buy a few more. That was declined, do you have another card? Fraud alert, two identical transactions.

It happens.

This is when it happened for me - buying VGC at CVS or Walgreens. So now I call the card I want to use ahead of time, no more problems.

On top of that, I've changed my mindset about credit now that I can have it work for me. I have no shame switching cards now.

(Still laughing at Breeze's response)

Don't be embarrassed. It will continue to happen more and more as banks keep using these "buying pattern" security checkpoints. My son was here in Texas from Ohio and had his card declined at Dillards. The Clueless clerks at his credit union told him after a 30 minute call that he should let them know whenever he is going to be in another state using his card.

We go to Macy's - declined again. We call again, and they said the system was still "updating".

It happens.

Happened to me yesterday. Went to grocery store, checked out, declined. Cashier looked at me funny and I said Amex. She said we don't take them.

The last post in this topic was posted 2019 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.