Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

NFCU - Possible Way In?

The last post in this topic was posted 2024 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I just checked my email and it does state family and friends who are eligible

I'm willing to bet the farm that any friends you refer need to be eligible. If not, they might as well say anyone is eligible to join, as 99.99999% of the population is a friend of some NFCU member. You're all my friends. :)

I just checked my email and it does state family and friends who are eligible

I'm willing to bet the farm that any friends you refer need to be eligible. If not, they might as well say anyone is eligible to join, as 99.99999% of the population is a friend of some NFCU member. You're all my friends. :)

His quote from the email says that they must be eligible. ;)

Yeah, being friends with an NFCU member is not enough, and unless you want to jeopardize the membership of your friend, don't even try it.

I'm in because my FIL is retired Navy. He sponsored his daughter in and she sponsored me in. NFCU is good people, too. :good:

My mom's third husband has been a WAY better step-father than her second. I've got USAA insurance and NFCU now. (I am not the world's best driver. My insurance now is $200+/month and I consider that cheap.)

I would so join the military if I could, Im 45 too late for me. When I was 17 I was speaking to a recruiter and my mother beat the crap out of me so that didnt happen. :glare: My son is 11 now my daughter is 12, if they decide to join the military I honestly would encourage it, I think its an honor to serve your country and its an experience that will stay with you no matter what you do in life. I regret not doing it. And it sucks that I cant be a nfcu member too.

If you are close to a branch, just walk in and ask. Worst they will say is "no." I thought you had to be either active duty, retired (drawing a pension) or an immediate family member of a current member to join. But, I've never tried to sponsor anyone before. I didn't know if they overdraft their checking or savings accounts, if I would be liable for their debt to the CU, so I haven't tried sponsoring before.

Flying out to Great Lakes this Wednesday to see my step son graduate navy bootcamp. Can't wait, hopefully we get some time with him before he fly's off to A-School. 30 years ago is when I joined the Marines :)

on a side note, want to thank Cap1 for the generous 40,000 miles from the Venture Card. That and some extra spending paid for the trip :)

Pat

If you are close to a branch, just walk in and ask. Worst they will say is "no." I thought you had to be either active duty, retired (drawing a pension) or an immediate family member of a current member to join. But, I've never tried to sponsor anyone before. I didn't know if they overdraft their checking or savings accounts, if I would be liable for their debt to the CU, so I haven't tried sponsoring before.

Sponsoring is just for membership purposes. It does not create any financial responsibility, unless you open a joint account with the family member you sponsored in.

Sponsoring is just for membership purposes. It does not create any financial responsibility, unless you open a joint account with the family member you sponsored in.

My brother is active duty. Does he actually have to be a member of NFCU to sponsor me?

My brother is active duty. Does he actually have to be a member of NFCU to sponsor me?

Yes, and he just join for his own benefit anyway.

I'm gonna have him check it out.

What benefits are there for the brother, based on his financial services needs and the products and services he already uses at other institutions?

What benefits are there for the brother, based on his financial services needs and the products and services he already uses at other institutions?

If there are no current benefits that meet his needs, for $5 he can park membership until the day comes when there are.

If there are no current benefits that meet his needs, for $5 he can park membership until the day comes when there are.

There may never be.

^ this

$5 is a small price to pay for access to NFCU. No complaints at all about them. NFCU is good people. :good:

^ this

$5 is a small price to pay for access to NFCU. No complaints at all about them. NFCU is good people. :good:

It's $5 too much if they don't have anything you need.

I also don't see many people complaining about cotton dickies, but that doesn't mean everyone should wear one.

^ this

I also don't see many people complaining about cotton dickies, but that doesn't mean everyone should wear one.

I think their customer service alone is worth the $5 to be honest. They're super generous with their credit lines and loan products.

I have friends that are deployed and their NFCU accounts are by far the easiest for them to deal with. They're far more understanding.

^ this

I think their customer service alone is worth the $5 to be honest. They're super generous with their credit lines and loan products.

I have friends that are deployed and their NFCU accounts are by far the easiest for them to deal with. They're far more understanding.

My point is that it's ridiculous to suggest that anyone should do business with any company without knowing what that person needs and values. Citing a lack of complaints as a valid reason for such an untenable position makes it even more preposterous.

If it's a good fit, wonderful. They have exactly nothing that would meet our household's financial services needs better than what we already have elsewhere.

Edited by cv91915

Flying out to Great Lakes this Wednesday to see my step son graduate navy bootcamp. Can't wait, hopefully we get some time with him before he fly's off to A-School. 30 years ago is when I joined the Marines :)

And you let him be a squid? :P

And you let him be a squid? :P

Lol a lot of Jarheads are members here :good:

The last post in this topic was posted 2024 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.