Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

USAA Credit Check Monitoring Premium will soon be "revamped"

The last post in this topic was posted 1967 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

What on Earth am I going to do with my newly-freed $146 when I close my checking and savings accounts? :lol:

HANG ON.

I just got the email.

"If you would like to continue receiving daily Credit Reports, you will need to upgrade your membership, at a different price, when you log onto the new product."

I also got the e-mail. At the bottom was this:

It is important to note that your new membership does not include daily Credit Reports. You will receive two Credit Scores per month and one monthly Credit Report. If you would like to continue receiving daily Credit Reports, you will need to upgrade your membership, at a different price, when you log onto the new product.

So maybe they will still allow daily pulling. I will be calling tomorrow to find out.

capture_image.png

Such exciting changes!

I got same email too. seems like a decent service. I just started using it. but they stopped daily pulls. you have to pay 25 bucks a month for that so , on still on the fence what to do.

My Vantage score is higher than my Fico score. Isn't it a good thing that Vantage is making headway against FICO? I think Vantage uses losing a home or being underwater from 2008+ as less of a factor in their scores. If FICO doesn't change their scoring model to start getting in people that had underwater homes (or two), then maybe lenders (who are desperate to get customers that are good risks, except for the home bubble bursting) will switch to Vantage. THEN we could have a credit pull section for lenders that use Vantage vs. FICO. As it is now, if I'm reading FICO's blurbs right, they are the company 'Over 90% of lenders use.' A FICO monopoly could only hurt us, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. (I know you will.)

My Vantage score is higher than my Fico score. Isn't it a good thing that Vantage is making headway against FICO? I think Vantage uses losing a home or being underwater from 2008+ as less of a factor in their scores. If FICO doesn't change their scoring model to start getting in people that had underwater homes (or two), then maybe lenders (who are desperate to get customers that are good risks, except for the home bubble bursting) will switch to Vantage. THEN we could have a credit pull section for lenders that use Vantage vs. FICO. As it is now, if I'm reading FICO's blurbs right, they are the company 'Over 90% of lenders use.' A FICO monopoly could only hurt us, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. (I know you will.)

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=542925

The reason FICO scores are the industry standard is because they work. As soon as you start telling FICO what they can and can not include in their scoring models, or how heavily they can be weighed, the scores become less accurate.

The reason FICO scores are the industry standard is because they work. As soon as you start telling FICO what they can and can not include in their scoring models, or how heavily they can be weighed, the scores become less accurate.

As much as it could only work against me, I've always considered it illogical that most types of negative information have to be deleted after seven years.

It would seem to me that I would be at least slightly more at risk of being a turd again later in life, if I was a turd earlier.

Oh, believe me I 'own' my debt. I was an salamander. Thing is, they kept throwing money at me. I was getting calls and letters in 2006-2007 saying 'Just sign here and we'll give you a check for 50K.' Don't worry- it's tied to your house, which will never go down in value!

I get that I made a mistake. Now, years later I'm trying to get a house. I talked to a mortgage broker who told me I'd have to wait three years or so. But here's what else he mentioned: That the mortgage companies and credit card companies WANT the customers that got in over their heads. He didn't imply, but said right out (yes, I believe him) that they want to ignore the 2008 home bubble trouble and are looking for people that might have lost their homes but kept all the payments on everything else up to date. If you exclude everyone that got in trouble in 2008, you'd be hard pressed to find any new customers.

I'm not saying that I'm trying to tell FICO what they need to put as reporting criteria, I'm saying that lenders are asking for changes, to get in some of the good lenders FICO excludes. Or maybe businesses are using the new FICO and Vantage to get more of these people in. I absolutely believe that they WANT to ignore FICO and loan money to get people loaded up over their heads in debt. I think (don't know) that the new FICO model is in response to Vantage. I've read in numerous places that companies don't want to use the new scoring models, or are changing their own internal rules or 'holding off' to see if the new models lose them money.

The fact that USAA is switching to Vantage is a good thing. I don't see where you have to check every day though. When you fix your credit there is a honeymoon period where you go a little nuts WANTING a daily check, but really, once a month is all you need. Things move so slowly in the credit reporting world anyway. So many things don't even get reported that fast that they're going to show up on your report the next day.

Oh, believe me I 'own' my debt. I was an salamander. Thing is, they kept throwing money at me. I was getting calls and letters in 2006-2007 saying 'Just sign here and we'll give you a check for 50K.' Don't worry- it's tied to your house, which will never go down in value!

I get that I made a mistake. Now, years later I'm trying to get a house. I talked to a mortgage broker who told me I'd have to wait three years or so. But here's what else he mentioned: That the mortgage companies and credit card companies WANT the customers that got in over their heads. He didn't imply, but said right out (yes, I believe him) that they want to ignore the 2008 home bubble trouble and are looking for people that might have lost their homes but kept all the payments on everything else up to date. If you exclude everyone that got in trouble in 2008, you'd be hard pressed to find any new customers.

I'm not saying that I'm trying to tell FICO what they need to put as reporting criteria, I'm saying that lenders are asking for changes, to get in some of the good lenders FICO excludes. Or maybe businesses are using the new FICO and Vantage to get more of these people in. I absolutely believe that they WANT to ignore FICO and loan money to get people loaded up over their heads in debt. I think (don't know) that the new FICO model is in response to Vantage. I've read in numerous places that companies don't want to use the new scoring models, or are changing their own internal rules or 'holding off' to see if the new models lose them money.

The fact that USAA is switching to Vantage is a good thing. I don't see where you have to check every day though. When you fix your credit there is a honeymoon period where you go a little nuts WANTING a daily check, but really, once a month is all you need. Things move so slowly in the credit reporting world anyway. So many things don't even get reported that fast that they're going to show up on your report the next day.

The underlying flaw in your logic is that most credit decisions aren't based solely on the consumer's credit score. It's one of many factors.

Plus, if they wanted to lower their standards to approve more people - because a profitability model suggested favorable outcomes - they could just lower the approval score threshold by X points for the credit score portion of the decision process.

Well, been using USAA for going on 5 years now. Was mainly a tool for rebuilding but seeing how that's pretty much come to an end, I guess its time to cancel as well unless they offer some kind of deal to upgrade. Going to be strange not using this service anymore though.

Just called them. Daily pulls still available. Price will go up to $34.95 in February.

Then subtract half when you call to cancel. So it's going up from $11.12 a month to $17.48 for daily pulls.

Just called and cancelled - The rep didn't mention anything about daily pullers staying and otherwise gave me no resistence to cancel.

The last post in this topic was posted 1967 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.