Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

LastPass Password Manager Breached

The last post in this topic was posted 2027 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I use roboform on Desktop. I wanted to switch to LastPass but when I read they will save our my passwords online, with encrypted master password, I did not like the idea. Glad I did not go forward with LastPass and I never will, ever...

I tried LastPass out, but wasn't overly impressed. I ended up going back to Roboform (I love Roboform)

LastPass has been hacked a few too many times.

I use roboform on Desktop. I wanted to switch to LastPass but when I read they will save our my passwords online, with encrypted master password, I did not like the idea. Glad I did not go forward with LastPass and I never will, ever...

I also use Roboform on the Desktop. AFAIK, Roboform will not be subject to that kind of breach because everything is stored on the user's computer, not in the cloud or whatever. If this is incorrect, however, please explain. Thanks.

Who would have ever thought that a service that holds all of your passwords would be a target? So weird...

I am a Last Pass user and like the fact that it is stored in the cloud. I tend to access my info from numerous sources (pc, macbook, ipad, iphone, 2nd pc, etc) so the benefit of being able to share the one service across all of the computers far outweighs the downside of the potential risk for me. Acccording to LP, the only things that were accessed were email addresses and PW reminders, none of the stored vault data (I understand they could be lying about that)

That being said,I am not risk adverse and am willing to take on more risk than average. I can see someone less tolerant to risk not liking this system.

I also use Roboform on the Desktop. AFAIK, Roboform will not be subject to that kind of breach because everything is stored on the user's computer, not in the cloud or whatever. If this is incorrect, however, please explain. Thanks.

yes, Roboform is safe, unless you have Roboform Everywhere. Robofrom desktop saves the data in users computer and is not on cloud. That is the reason I like Roboform.

yes, Roboform is safe, unless you have Roboform Everywhere. Robofrom desktop saves the data in users computer and is not on cloud. That is the reason I like Roboform.

It's safe as long as you have a backup and both copies remain in your possession and are encrypted.

I do use Roboform Everywhere because...well, I am everywhere. But as of yet, they haven't had a workable breach.....not for fail of trying though, I am sure.

I started using it back when I would play with online ponzies (autosurf&HYIPs) You definitely needed good passwords with those. I finally tired of them (the games) but kept the roboform. Back then, it had only been the desktop version, but then it went to a syncable version (usually intended for desktop and laptop syncing)...then eventually they came out with RoboForm Everywhere. I have been happy with it. But I have to say I am less than impressed with the mobile version for cellphones. You have to use "their" browser and I prefer to use another browser. (also, I haven't figured out how to just look up my passwords in the mobile version...which I really really need to do sometimes...like when I have to use one of my banking apps, and I can't remember my password)

All in all....I am really pleased with roboform. I have many...MANY...passwords. I'd have to use easy or repeat passwords if I wanted to remember them.

For those that don't trust the Everywhere, you have two options...the Desktop or the "To-Go" version. The "to-go" version stores your passwords on a usb for you to take around with you. I don't *think* anything is in the cloud with that version. Of course you then have the issue of "What if something happens to both my computer and the usb drive and now I have lost all of my passwords?"

Personally, If I were a business or had truly sensitive data....and you have to travel, I'd probably use the To-Go version.

Still, I don't trust LastPass as much as RoboForm. It is probably because I didn't like its interface as much...but I am sure both have their own followers.

Well about 10+ years ago, NoBull here on CB recommended RoboForm and I have never looked back. I actually use RoboForm2Go on a USB Drive so most of the time, my RoboForm data is air gapped and not even available on my computer. I use a Kingston USB with 256-bit AES encryption.

From the article posted:

Even when those passwords are robustly protected, as they appear to have been by LastPass, many experts say the cloud remains an unsuitable storage environment given the vulnerability of Internet-facing servers.

Personally, I absolutely avoid the cloud and don't use it at all, since the cloud is not a secure environment for anything!!

They're safer in plain text on my thumb drive. :D I'm such a control freak.

:o

breeze -

Get RoboForm2Go and put it on an encrypted USB Drive!

I am a Last Pass user and like the fact that it is stored in the cloud. I tend to access my info from numerous sources (pc, macbook, ipad, iphone, 2nd pc, etc) so the benefit of being able to share the one service across all of the computers far outweighs the downside of the potential risk for me. Acccording to LP, the only things that were accessed were email addresses and PW reminders, none of the stored vault data (I understand they could be lying about that)

That being said,I am not risk adverse and am willing to take on more risk than average. I can see someone less tolerant to risk not liking this system.

Ditto, except I use Roboform Everywhere.

do you use the free version or the subscription?

do you use the free version or the subscription?

Free version has a limitation of max 10 or 15 passcards that can be stored.

The last post in this topic was posted 2027 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.