Sign in to follow this  
donkeyshark

TU CaptialOne - Why won't this TL delete?

I have a CC tradeline from CapitalOne on my TU report that simply will not come off. I'm starting to get pissed off now and I'm hoping someone here can help me out. Here is the relevant info:

This tradeline was closed by C1 at the end of 2006. I paid the balance in full in Feb, 2007 and haven't used it since because the TL was closed. It is now 8 1/2 years old and is still being reported on my TU CR. EQ and EX both correctly deleted this TL a year and a half ago. I have disputed it now at least 5 times. I have disputed it 2 or 3 times via handwritten letters, jack attacks, certified mail, written in cursive, the whole 9 yards. They did not delete it. I disputed it 2 times online, and I even disputed it over the phone with a rep from TU. They absolutely REFUSE to delete it. I even called CapitalOne to ask why they are reporting it, and they told me that they are not reporting it and furthermore that they do not even have record of that account in their system. I'm absolutely certain that I have justification for a lawsuit on my hands, but that's just not an option for me. I don't have the time to deal with this. I work full time and am also in grad school full time. I don't even have time to write this post, but I'm so pissed off and feel like I am running out of options. TU is reporting this account as having been closed in Feb 2010 which is erroneous. The account was closed at the end of 2006. However, they do accurately report the date of last payment made as being Feb 2007. The rep I spoke with over the phone said that they go by the "date of last activity" which he said can be either the date of last payment OR the date the account was closed. I told him that was BS and that the FCRA clearly states that they have to go by the date of last payment (am I wrong here?). Regardless, the reported date they have for when it was closed is incorrect. I don't understand what's going on here. How is Capital One validating this TL if they no longer even have a record of it in their system? Surely they're not. I think TU just keeps ignoring my disputes and isn't even validating with C1 at all.

Oh, and each time I dispute, I never get a response stating "previously validated". I always get something back stating that the TL has been "updated" as if they actually sent for validation. This last dispute came back to me as "updated" within two weeks of my online dispute, which seems too fast for C1 to have validated this account.

Thank you for your help!

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't tried to get C1 to put it in writing yet. What would you ask them to include in the letter if this were your TL? The rep at C1 did tell me that I could send them a letter along with a copy of that page from my CR and explain the situation to them and that they would try to get it cleared up for me, buuuttt it is C1, and I just don't trust them at all. If they're the ones with the screwed up records, it's possible that by sending them my info and letter that this erroneous account could find its way back onto EX and EQ as well. So for now, I'm thinking I should avoid the OC, but maybe I'm just over thinking it.

I'll look into the CFPB dispute.

Oh, I just found a few of my old CR's from 2012 and 2013. In 2012, TU correctly reported this account with accurate dates. Then, I disputed the account and it came back as verified but they changed the dates. It's borderline hilarious what happened when I compare the 2012 report with the 2013 ones. It's literally the EXACT same info, but they just changed 2005 to 2008, 2006 to 2009, and 2007 to 2010 on my payment history.

I can't believe how many times they've falsely validated this account. I really wish I could sue the chocolate out of them right now... ugg.

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't tried to get C1 to put it in writing yet. What would you ask them to include in the letter if this were your TL? The rep at C1 did tell me that I could send them a letter along with a copy of that page from my CR and explain the situation to them and that they would try to get it cleared up for me, buuuttt it is C1, and I just don't trust them at all. If they're the ones with the screwed up records, it's possible that by sending them my info and letter that this erroneous account could find its way back onto EX and EQ as well. So for now, I'm thinking I should avoid the OC, but maybe I'm just over thinking it.

I'll look into the CFPB dispute.

Oh, I just found a few of my old CR's from 2012 and 2013. In 2012, TU correctly reported this account with accurate dates. Then, I disputed the account and it came back as verified but they changed the dates. It's borderline hilarious what happened when I compare the 2012 report with the 2013 ones. It's literally the EXACT same info, but they just changed 2005 to 2008, 2006 to 2009, and 2007 to 2010 on my payment history.

I can't believe how many times they've falsely validated this account. I really wish I could sue the chocolate out of them right now... ugg.

Since you have your old credit reports, you don't have to mess with Cap One f you don't want to.

File a complaint with the CFPB about TU's re-aging. Upload your old reports showing the correct dates, the new credit reports showing the false dates, and any documentation you have about the prior disputes.