Sign in to follow this  
kayvebear

Family member's judgement and liens in CA - When do they fall off?

Hey all,

This is far outside my area of knowledge and expertise...

A family member emailed me today. He had state tax liens and judgement against him in California from over 10 years ago... so bad that he moved to FL.

He just found out this week that the state of CA did not renew his liens and judgement after 10 years and that he is no longer liable for the debt because of it (I guess they can't collect now because they did not renew).

He is wondering when / if / how these judgements and liens will now fall off his CR's... what can I tell him?

Yes 10 years for unpaid liens, 7 years for paid liens, not sure about judgments. From the date of the public record filing. A lot of california courts have gone online so you can go to the county where the liens were filed and look up the date of filing there. If they don't fall off automatically I think maybe dispute them as obsolete with the credit reporting agency

Edited by ReformedCreditJunkie

Yes 10 years for unpaid liens, 7 years for paid liens, not sure about judgments. From the date of the public record filing. A lot of california courts have gone online so you can go to the county where the liens were filed and look up the date of filing there. If they don't fall off automatically I think maybe dispute them as obsolete with the credit reporting agency

Actually in California the California Franchise Tax Board has no statue of limitation for taxes owed if a return was not filed or if income was mis-stated. Here is a link to the actual factual information:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/law/summaries/SOL_Assessment.pdf

So while they will fall off his credit report after 7 to 10 years California is very aggressive about coming back to life and coming after people. Chances are good if you stay out of the state and do not bank with a bank with branches in California it is unlikely they pursue.

Edited by sjca