Aviva_Dawn's Credit Rebuilding Thread

aviva_dawn

The last post in this topic was posted 3154 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So, I am in the process of rebuilding. My credit went into the toilet in the summer of 2010 when I was *trying* to rebuild, and a month after I got FP, I ran for my life from an abusive marriage. Everything went to pot. Utilities, my FP account. That was the damage.

However, some good things remained in my favor. The joint secured USB Visa that my ex and I held from 2007 to 2010 was closed in the divorce proceedings, and always had an excellent payment history. It still sits on my reports as "Closed by Customer" today. A very, very old Citi Student card from 2000 is still reporting, even though I never used it and its marked as "closed". My student loans are on a IBR plan, and the one that I am paying on is never late.

I started back on the road to rebuilding by opening these cards in this order:

Cap1 Platinum Pre-Approval came in the mail in September 2014, and I let it sit....I said "why not, give it a shot" and I submitted the app by mail. I was approved for a $300 CL.

Then, I thought that since I was interested in purchasing a nice piece of jewelry for myself, I went to Kays Jewelers and wanted to pay outright for a beautiful ring. I was encouraged to apply for an account, and they stated that my $600+ purchase would give me a 12 month interest free. I took them up on it, and got that $2100 CL!

Then....because I do shop at Ann Taylor and their Factory Store frequently, I apped for one of their store cards. Got a toy limit of $250.

Went into the Garden until February when I applied for Macys in store (love their sales, and I'm trying to get decent housewares for my apartment) and got an instant approval for $800!

Went to Lane Bryant....instore approval for $500.

My signature tells the rest. Flawless payment history on all of the cards there, and I am working on paying off the 3 cards with a balance to get my Utilization low as possible.

My scores are all CK FAKOS, but I am now looking at getting my reports, and then seeing what kind of things I can do to help. The baddies are nearing obsolete status between June and September 2017 (FP)....and I'm gardening now.

I have three Credit Goals:

1. Getting another revolver (hopefully with a better limit) in June 2016, and being able to get my paws on whichever card Amtrak Guest Rewards MC evolves into sometime later...since I don't fly...I Amtrak. Those points would enable me to go on my Amtrak trips much more easily.

My big hope is to buy a home in 2019 or 2020.

Edited by aviva_dawn

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a newbie also, I've been rebuilding over the last year and have made great progress. I assume your Cap 1 is a credit steps card. Have you received an increase on the CL? You should probably think about getting your real Fico scores to know where your really at score wise. There's a thread here with a discount code I believe. Knowing your score will give you a good idea of what revolvers your likely to be approved for.

Hey Csaelgato, yep, I went from $300 to $2300 after the 5th statement cut on Credit Steps with Cap1 and then they just PC'd me to a Quicksilver MC. The new card is in the mail and I look forward to seeing it. All that and I've not even had an account with them for a year.

I'm definitely planning to get my real FICO scores and reports sometime this summer. Hopefully they're not too big, bad and scary looking.

Edited by aviva_dawn

You would probably be approved for Discover it, or possibly Barclays Rewards,

both of which give you free TU FICO scores.

Sounds cool. I've heard good things about the IT card. How does Discover view INQs? I have 5 on TU and 4 on EX, per CK. I might app for that sooner or later.

Discover often pulls EQ for the initial app - but there are exceptions..

Check creditpulls for your state.

I'm not sure how they view inquiries.

You may want to focus on bank-issued cards (as opposed to store cards) going forward.

Good luck! :grin:

Thanks! Bank cards from now on! In my State, EQ is the bureau of choice for Discover, and I'm not ready for that yet.

I went ahead and paid for a month of service on myfico (because I really, really want to start repairing)

So....my FICOS are:

EQ: 676

TU: 684

EX: 669

Definitely shows how WAY off base CK was. It was telling me that my EQ was in the very low 600s. It was very close on TU however.....

The only negatives were as I thought: Utilities and First Premier. I can see if any of the utilities are willing to PFD.

Edited by aviva_dawn

Aviva_dawn your scores are better than mine and I just got approved 3 days ago on a mini app spree. My EX and EQ were both 661 and TU 655. I picked up a AMEX Delta Gold ( said to be the easiest Amex to get), Barclay Apple VISA and Banana Republic (cause I like their clothes lol). I have 2 old charge off reporting until 2018 and multiple lates on a BOA closed acct also reporting until 2018. My scores will improve when I bring my utilization down. I'm gardening for the next 4 months to bring it down. Sounds like your on a good road.

I am now looking at getting my reports, and then seeing what kind of things I can do to help. The baddies are nearing obsolete status between June and September 2017 (FP)....and I'm gardening now.

If you want advice on credit repair, post your negatives here (including Date of First Delinquency / DoFD and/or fall off dates).

It is best to get your official reports mailed to you from these automated numbers: EX 888-397-3742, EQ 800-997-2493, TU 800-888-4213

Buy reports only for $11/ea -- not scores or other products.

If you were denied credit in the last 60 days, you are entitled to a free report from the CRA used in that credit decision.

annualcreditreport.com is also official reports (for free) -- but it gives the CRAs an extra 15 days to investigate your disputes. So the above is better.

Okay, here are my negs

Southwest Gas $39 DOFD: 11/8/2012 (In the apartment that I'd moved into after the divorce, I thought that I'd paid this final bill at the apartment before moving to where I've been since August 2012...but it looks like it wasn't paid.)

Charter Communications (Report says its held now by Credit Management) $85 DOFD: EQ says 12/2012, TU and EX say July 20th 2012. (This is from the time of the divorce, but the year of DOFD is two years later. I did not have service with Charter after the divorce, and this DOFD should be in 2010. I'm going to need to do something about this one)

AT&T $35 (Report says its now held by IC System Inc.) DOFD given by all reports (isn't reporting on TU) says December 5, 2012 (which also is way off by 2 years for the reasons mentioned above.)

Sierra Pacific Power $32 (Also is not reported by TU, The other two says that its held by 164YC00011) DOFD says December 2, 2010. (The year is correct)

First Premier $832 It says DOFD is January 2014 when it was charged off. It shows OK payment history all the way until January 2014 too, which is interesting. This card was ONLY used in 2010.

Edited by aviva_dawn

I am now looking at getting my reports, and then seeing what kind of things I can do to help. The baddies are nearing obsolete status between June and September 2017 (FP)....and I'm gardening now.

If you want advice on credit repair, post your negatives here (including Date of First Delinquency / DoFD and/or fall off dates).

It is best to get your official reports mailed to you from these automated numbers: EX 888-397-3742, EQ 800-997-2493, TU 800-888-4213

If you were denied credit in the last 60 days, you are entitled to a free report from the CRA used in that credit decision.

annualcreditreport.com is also official reports (for free) -- but it gives the CRAs an extra 15 days to investigate your disputes. So the above is better.

I was denied a QS by Cap1 not even a few weeks ago, so I'll request a free report from all three tomorrow. :-)

For all the utilities, see if the original creditor (OC) will still accept payment directly:

Pay OC instead of CA - process + letter

Even though this debt is old, you may be able to deal with the OC directly, and cut the CA out of the equation (and get them deleted).

After you get your official reports, dispute all your old addresses off each credit report first - before disputing anything else.

If the "Pay the OC" doesn't work for the utilities, look into the 1-2 punch for disputing.

Feel free to ask for advice before sending those letters.

I'd deal with all the collections first -- before working on First Premier (which will be harder).

Was the First Premier charge-off really that recent (around Jan 2014)?

How much was it for?

If it is a small amount, you may just want to pay them if was that recent.

OC charge-offs are often very hard to get deleted.

But if the credit reporting is really messed up, you may have a shot fighting it.

No, it wasn't that recent for First Premier. That account's first date of delinquency in 2010, not 2014. It was for $832.

I will pay the Collections off within the next two months, and I've spoken with each OC, they are all happy to accept payment. I'll send in the letters when I do each.

I was denied a QS by Cap1 not even a few weeks ago, so I'll request a free report from all three tomorrow. :-)

Great!

Get the paper credit reports mailed to you (rather than getting them online).

Those phone numbers above should work for that.

Paper reports have more information than the online versions.

No, it wasn't that recent for First Premier. That account's first date of delinquency in 2010, not 2014. It was for $832.

What state are you in?

What is the Statute of Limitations (SOL) for lawsuits in your state?

I will pay the Collections off within the next two months, and I've spoken with each OC, they are all happy to accept payment. I'll send in the letters when I do each.

Great!

Get a receipt from each.

I'm in Nevada.

The statute of limitations on debt in Nevada limits the time you can be sued for a debt.

Oral Contract: 4 years

Written Contract: 6 years

Promissory Note: 3 years

Open-Ended Accounts: 4 years

It appears the SOL for credit cards in Nevada is 4 years.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-state-statute-limitations-1282.php

So First Premier can't sue you and win -- a good thing.

I'd still save them for last, and work on the collections first.

Let us know if you need help with attacking the collections.

And later for the First Premier account.

Tweak,

I do have a question: So, when I pay these collections, just get a receipt as proof of payment, and then submit the letter to the CA that is collecting on their behalf to get them removed?

I just wanted to check before going to pay them.

Tweak,

I do have a question: So, when I pay these collections, just get a receipt as proof of payment, and then submit the letter to the CA that is collecting on their behalf to get them removed?

I just wanted to check before going to pay them.

I think so -- but I've never used this method personally.

Anyone else?

Review shifter's thread and comments from ICANHASMUNY?.

You may need to get the OC to recall the debt from the CA in some circumstances, but I don't know if/when this is necessary.

Edited by tweak

hey aviva congrats question u said u went from 300 to 2300 on your crap one through credit steps.. did you max the card for the 5 months then pif i seen tweak mention this before.

Yes, I recall that the Cap 1 card was maxed most of the time and then paid PIF most of the five months before the CLI, and I think I carried a balance for 1 of them (January). I was truly in shock when I got the note about the CLI to $2300 from them.

The last post in this topic was posted 3154 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.