Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Plastiq.com Pay Bills with Credit or Debit Card

What is the maximum payment amount with Plastiq?

I don't think there is one explicitly mentioned, but I'm sure there is some threshold to trigger their manual review, which can tie things up for quite some time. I've have no issues with four-figure payments. How large are you thinking?

I'm unaware of any limit unrelated to your card's credit limit.

Frequentmiler Complete guide to Plastiq credit card payments

is a pretty good overview of some of the issues.

Edited by mec

Anyone with the FNBO Amex or Sam's MC know if the 3% travel triggers with Plastiq or was that an exclusively Visa phenomenon?

From what I've read, that never worked. And now the 3x Visa is dead as well (even before this news).

I don't think there is one explicitly mentioned, but I'm sure there is some threshold to trigger their manual review, which can tie things up for quite some time. I've have no issues with four-figure payments. How large are you thinking?

Somewhere between $40,000 and $50,000.

On a MC, Amex, or Discover?

Keep in mind that I'm fairly sure that Visa still counts any transaction that isn't through an already-set-up vendor in the Plastiq system as a cash advance.

I'm unaware of any limit unrelated to your card's credit limit.

Frequentmiler Complete guide to Plastiq credit card payments

is a pretty good overview of some of the issues.

Thank you.

On a MC, Amex, or Discover?

Keep in mind that I'm fairly sure that Visa still counts any transaction that isn't through an already-set-up vendor in the Plastiq system as a cash advance.

Discovery IT Fake Miles® card for 3% back (first year).

We are planning to have one mortgage completely paid off by April or May of 2018.

The $40k+ extra payment in August should be the largest.

If you do that, yo might want to move your statement date to one like the 15th (depending) so you can get the max float out of Disco. Could turn your 0.005 Into 0.005875 at 0.0105.

Update:

Been using this service to pay my contractor who doesn't take credit cards. Can take up to two weeks for the check to arrive, but works just fine when you send things out in advance. It isn't a bad service if you need to pay someone who doesn't take cards directly and you're trying to hit a SUB. The other option would be for anyone who has a card at 0% purchase APR for a longer period of time, but doesn't want to pay off the balance right away, and uses the service as a low-cost float option. That 2.5% fee, less any rewards, may make this cheaper than many BT fees.

They've also gotten rid of the requirement to use a MasterCard first for certain payment categories before using a Visa card. This original guide is now outdated, confirmed with two separate Plastiq CSRs:

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/complete-guide-to-plastiq-credit-card-payments/

Hi mec

Now, you can use Masterpass through Plastiq to pay businesses that don't accept credit or debit cards.

Starting today through September 30, 2018, we'll waive the Plastiq fee when you use your Mastercard® in Masterpass when paying with Plastiq.* Promotion applies to any bill or invoice, up to a maximum of $500 each.

Hi mec

Now, you can use Masterpass through Plastiq to pay businesses that don't accept credit or debit cards.

Starting today through September 30, 2018, we'll waive the Plastiq fee when you use your Mastercard® in Masterpass when paying with Plastiq.* Promotion applies to any bill or invoice, up to a maximum of $500 each.

Due to the high demand for our latest promotion, conducted in partnership with Mastercard, we wanted to give you advance notice of an upcoming update. Starting June 1, 2018, the promotion will apply to any bill or invoice, up to a maximum of $250 each, instead of $500.*

If you’ve already scheduled payments with this promotion, we will still honor the promotional fee applied to those payments. But please note that editing these scheduled payments will result in a loss of the promotional fee.

If you haven’t taken advantage of this promotion yet, this is your time to do so! Don’t forget to make sure the payment is delivered by September 30, 2018 to qualify.

Please reach out to us if you have any questions.

Best,

The Plastiq Team

Largely picked a "Plastiq" thread at random to post to (rather than starting a new one) ...

I've avoided Platiq to date, not willing to incur the standard 2.5% fee for any reason (including satisfying SUB requirements ... although I grasp the benefit for some).

However, I've become more aware of various promos that can significantly reduce the fee, plus I have a couple of significant bills each month that are satisfied by check payment through CheckFree, on which I could occasionally reap significant cb via alternate credit card substitute funding.

Can someone broadly outline the typical payment fee promotions that are generally available, and the optimal means by which to sign up for Plastiq?  (a thread referral is certainly welcome, if the details are reasonably fresh)

32 minutes ago, hdporter said:

Largely picked a "Plastiq" thread at random to post to (rather than starting a new one) ...

I've avoided Platiq to date, not willing to incur the standard 2.5% fee for any reason (including satisfying SUB requirements ... although I grasp the benefit for some).

However, I've become more aware of various promos that can significantly reduce the fee, plus I have a couple of significant bills each month that are satisfied by check payment through CheckFree, on which I could occasionally reap significant cb via alternate credit card substitute funding.

Can someone broadly outline the typical payment fee promotions that are generally available, and the optimal means by which to sign up for Plastiq?  (a thread referral is certainly welcome, if the details are reasonably fresh)

Late last year I had an offer for a 1.5% fee on three payments of up to $10,000 each.  I didn't act on it.

So in January(ish) they sent another offer for 1.5% on three payments of up to $20,000 each.  I ran about $26,000 through just one card.  I didn't want to push it any further with the card issuer since I almost never use the card otherwise.  

I wanted to personally reach out and explain some new price changes that are coming to Plastiq.

Recently, several major credit card companies announced an upcoming interchange price increase (the cost of processing a credit card), which directly impacts our costs at Plastiq. This third party increase requires our fees to move to 2.85%, effective July 1, 2020 for most transactions.

Plastiq has historically absorbed the cost of all interchange increases, and we have kept our fees flat. However, at this time, an increase is necessary. We remain committed to delivering quality tools and features, and we’re still priced lower than our competitors.

We continue to improve Plastiq and we’re excited about the launch of Plastiq Accept and our new multi-user feature. Keep an eye out for new Plastiq features and products for your business that are on the way.

I know you have choices when it comes to who you do business with. Thanks for choosing Plastiq. If you have more questions, please feel free to reach out.
Sincerely,

73a60071-17c8-4cc2-a6f8-c73dd1bc64db.png

Eliot Buchanan
Plastiq CEO

13 hours ago, cv91915 said:

+EQDs 

Good point.

I've been meaning to do the calculation on this one for Delta...but that was before the we'll-travel-again-in-2025-(probably) pandemic.

30 minutes ago, Big Bear said:

Good point.

I've been meaning to do the calculation on this one for Delta...but that was before the we'll-travel-again-in-2025-(probably) pandemic.

I'm still charging bravely forward.

I'll still spend at least $6k on AAirfare this year, and another 3,000 EQDs from my Aviator "spending" will get me 4 more SWUs (9,000 EQDs vs the 15,000 required in each of  the last couple of years).  

Even if all of $50,000 in Aviator "spending" was through Plastiq at 2.85% (which it isn't), $1,425 in fees for 4 SWUs would be completely worth it to me.