Civil Judgement, Collections, Medical Debt: Long Read

thesaintly

The last post in this topic was posted 3002 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I have a friend, "Z".

He's applied for a job where they ran his credit, and it came back with several negative marks. The company is willing to hire him pending one of two outcomes:

1. He has to pay off his outstanding past-due debts to below $2,500.

2. Alternatively, he can have more than $2,500 in past due debt, providing his has written proof of repayment plans worked out with the creditors.

He doesn't have the funds to just pay everyone off at the moment in full, so I was suggesting to him that as much as possible, try to dispute the collections on his report to reduce the total amount of unpaid past-due debt in the eyes of his would-be employer, then have them run the report again.

I’ve listed everything I’ve found on his report below, then at the bottom of this post, I have a suggested course of action. Anyone who is willing to review my suggestions and critique them would have my appreciation!

Here's what's on his TU report, the one they pulled:

Adverse Accounts:

1. A civil judgement filed in the local circuit court, in the amount of $5,041. He was in a homeowners association condo in which he stopped paying the HOA fees due to the poor maintenance that was done around the building. The judgement was filed: 11/18/2014 and Updated: 12/13/2014.

2. An open collection by CAVALRY PORTFOLIO SVCS with the OC of HSBC, in the original amount of $459, past due amount is $470.
    Question: He doesn't remember having a card issued by HSBC.

3. A collection by MIDLAND FUNDING LLC, original amount $890, the past amount of $1183, with an OC of Credit One Bank. This collection was for a Visa card issued by Credit One Bank originally, but the original account has since been charged off and sold to MIDLAND.

4. A collection by an outfit called MCSI (Municipal Collection Service Inc) for a parking ticket originally issued by Hickory Hills police department for $250 back on 6/07/2012.

5. A collection by MUNICIPAL COLLECTIONS OF AMERICA for past due of $506, originally a parking ticket issued by the Village of Midlothian for $375.

6. A collection by MUNICIPAL COLLECTIONS OF AMERICA for past due of $481, originally a parking ticket issued by Village of Lansing, IL.

7. Items 7 thru 11 on this list are all medical collections. A collection by RICHARD P KAMYATTE ASSOC, past due amount of $163, original creditor MEDICAL-NW INDIANA PATH CONSULTANTS PC.

8. A collection by RICHARD P KAMYATTE ASSOC, past due amount of $152, original creditor MEDICAL-MUNSTER RADIOLOGY GROUP.

9. A collection by RICHARD P KAMYATTE ASSOC, past due amount of $54, original creditor MEDICAL-MUNSTER RADIOLOGY GROUP.

10. A collection by RICHARD P KAMYATTE ASSOC, past due amount of $195, original creditor MEDICAL-MUNSTER RADIOLOGY GROUP. This was placed for collection originally 1/27/2014 and updated on 10/24/2015. This particular collection appears to be duplicated on my friend’s credit report. The date originally placed, date updated, dollar amount of $195 and also partial account number that isn’t covered by asterisks all match up.

11. A collection by RICHARD P KAMYATTE ASSOC, past due amount of $140, original creditor of MEDICAL-COMMUNITY HOSPITAL OUTPATIENT.

12. A collection by SW CREDIT SYSTEMS INC, past due amount of $1,562, original creditor was AT&T UVerse. My friend moved and didn’t return the original tv boxes and equipment, but he still has them in his storage unit.

13. A collection by UNIQUE NATIONAL, past due amount of $50, original creditor of GREEN HILLS PUBLIC LIBRARY.

Personal Information on Report:

1. There’s five addresses listed for my friend on his report, none of which are current.

2. Additionally, there’s a half dozen phone numbers, also none of which are current.

3. There’s a half dozen jobs on his work history portion, all of which are previous companies he’s worked for or owned. As some of the collections currently on his report might be tied to these companies, it would seem beneficial to dispute them and request they be deleted.

Suggested Actions/Questions:

Personal Information:

Make a photocopy of my friend’s driver’s license with his current address and mail it to the CRA, requesting to remove all of the old and outdated addresses, phone numbers and job history.

Wait for their response before disputing any of the collections, as hopefully this will make it harder for them to verify the debts if the old addresses and phone numbers that were associated with the debts are no longer on his report. After this is completed, move on to addressing the adverse accounts, using the methods below.

Adverse Accounts: (numbering matches 1 thru 13 above)

1. As for my friend’s civil judgement for the unpaid home owner’s association fees, I’ve suggested he take up his options with his other friend who is an attorney. He has no interest in taking the HOA court, but he does need to deal with this large amount to get below the $2500 to get hired. I’ve suggested he look into the option of a payment plan with the HOA, providing they delete it off his report once it is paid off. Furthermore, I’ve suggested to see if they are willing to take less than the full amount owed and put it in writing.

2. Is it possible to write HSBC and ask them as a goodwill gesture to remove or reduce the amount owed, even though it has been sold to CAVALRY PORTFOLIO SVCS? If goodwill is not an option, would it more advisable to write a dispute letter to TU and the other CRA’s and hope they don’t respond and verify? If it is verified, then go for a payment plan and ask for a pay-for-delete option?

3. Use the same approach of goodwill as suggested in #2 above, only with Credit One Bank? If that fails or isn’t an option, dispute first, then if verified, try to do a payment plan for pay-for-delete?

4. For the vehicle tickets items #4 thru #6, I was thinking he should try to write dispute letters to the CRA’s first, and only if they verify them, then offer balance reduction/PFD with the collection agencies.

5. See above.

6. See above.

7. Items #7 thru #11 are all medical debts. Suggesting to my friend he use the whychat method of HIPPA dispute letters and wait to see if they respond, hopefully not, dropping it off the report.

8. See above.

9. See above.

10. This is a duplicate entry from what I can tell. In the dispute letter to the CRA’s, should I mention it appears to be a duplicate? Or should I have my friend write two separate dispute entries within the dispute letter, one for each collection, even though they appear identical?

11. Same suggested action as #7.

12. Having my friend try to find the last invoice he received from AT&T Uverse. I’ve instructed him to try and find the official amount owed when his account was closed out, including non-returned equipment fees. After subtracting the amount they charged for the unreturned equipment, see if he can work out a payment arrangement with the remaining balance?

13. Seeing the amount is small, try to work out a deal to pay the $50 to the library and ask them to forward a copy of the paid debt to collection agency, or should I have him dispute this first?

Thank you for any help you can provide, as I know this is a long read and my friend’s report needs lots of help. He’s a bit overwhelmed, but I’m excited to try and help him once I know what is the proper chronological order and method to attack it all! :)

It would probably be best if Z joined CB himself, rather than having an intermediary. How long before he needs this done, job-wise? You are not supposed to dispute anything else while going through WhyChat's process, otherwise you risk having the disputes merged.

He should definitely have his old addresses, phone numbers, and employers removed. Most of that can be done over the phone (one of the rare things that can). EX may push back if those addresses are tied to negative TLs, so here is some info on getting old addresses removed: https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=528144.

He should get all 3 of his paper reports through the mail (I don't how he got his TU one), and post the details of the negatives as they appear there, including DOFD.

What state is he in?

I'm on my phone, so it's not easy to search, but I believe that things like parking tickets and library fines may have some different methods/people sometimes attack them differently. Others may have better info.

I agree with Second Chances.

Also, for the utilities, library, tickets, etc., read this:

Pay OC instead of CA - process + letter

Get receipts from the OC (both to show the employer, and for future disputes if necessary).

The judgment is recent, and the most damaging.

Your friend may just have to do a payment plan in order to satisfy the employer and get below the $2500 threshold.

You could check and see if the judgment is properly recorded at the courthouse,

but I doubt that you'll have much luck disputing this (being so recent),

and any dispute would take awhile to get resolved anyway (possibly too long to satisfy the employer in time)

Good luck!

I agree with all the above advice EXCEPT trying to get addresses deleted over the phone. I think it is better to have ALL disputes with CRAs done by snail mail so that you can avoid getting trapped in their computerized response system.

http://www.whychat.5u.com/GUIDEBOOK.html

The judgment probably doesn't actually exist except as a a FILED judgment in the case file, have him follow this guide:

http://www.whychat.5u.com/deletejudg.html

Once he has been able to delete old addresses, he can start disputing EITHER the judgment OR the medical accounts with this program:

http://www.whychat.5u.com/GUIDE%20HIPAA%20PROGRAM.html

The parking tickets should be PAID, they can NOT be disputed and will stick to his reports FOREVER as they are "Governmental debts" with NO 7 year limit on reporting

What is the timeline to satisfy your friend's employer?

You can't rush the credit repair process.

And if you try to rush it, you'll make it much more difficult to clean up in the future.

To add to what Why Chat said,

if the judgment is indeed properly recorded and legitimate,

it may be best to enter a payment plan -- in order to satisfy the employer.

This way your friend can get the job now

and then take the appropriate time later to properly clean his/her credit report.

Good luck!

It would probably be best if Z joined CB himself, rather than having an intermediary. How long before he needs this done, job-wise? You are not supposed to dispute anything else while going through WhyChat's process, otherwise you risk having the disputes merged.

He should definitely have his old addresses, phone numbers, and employers removed. Most of that can be done over the phone (one of the rare things that can). EX may push back if those addresses are tied to negative TLs, so here is some info on getting old addresses removed: https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=528144.

He should get all 3 of his paper reports through the mail (I don't how he got his TU one), and post the details of the negatives as they appear there, including DOFD.

What state is he in?

I'm on my phone, so it's not easy to search, but I believe that things like parking tickets and library fines may have some different methods/people sometimes attack them differently. Others may have better info.

Good idea. He's really busy at the moment, but I'll invite him to CB and link him to this thread. He has to start learning somehow!

I'll also read over the link to clean up your old addresses.

He pulled his TU and EQ reports from annualcreditreport.com. I'll ask him to request another paper copy of each of his three reports. He lives in Illinois.

I agree with Second Chances.

Get receipts from the OC (both to show the employer, and for future disputes if necessary).

The judgment is recent, and the most damaging.

Your friend may just have to do a payment plan in order to satisfy the employer and get below the $2500 threshold.

You could check and see if the judgment is properly recorded at the courthouse,

but I doubt that you'll have much luck disputing this (being so recent),

and any dispute would take awhile to get resolved anyway (possibly too long to satisfy the employer in time)

Good luck!

Understood regarding trying to pay the OC, and documenting everything. I'm working with Z to figure out how much he can afford to spread to pay the OC's, instead of the CA's. Regarding the judgement, his lawyer will be taking a look at it this week, or next week and try to review everything, seeing if there is any "out" or if he has to start paying it. As for the timeline for the employer, they really like him a lot and told him that they will hire him, even if there is a delay. Obviously, he wants to come on board sooner rather than later, but there is some leeway.

What state is he in?

Good idea. He's really busy at the moment, but I'll invite him to CB and link him to this thread. He has to start learning somehow!

I'll also read over the link to clean up your old addresses.

He pulled his TU and EQ reports from annualcreditreport.com. I'll ask him to request another paper copy of each of his three reports. He lives in Illinois.

There is so much information on these boards, that it really is best to do it yourself. Doing it yourself can also teach you how to avoid the same situations in the future.

I mentioned the paper reports, because if he uses a free annual report, it gives the CRAs 45 days to investigate, instead of the usual 30. Not to mention, the paper reports often have info the online reports do not.

I mentioned the paper reports, because if he uses a free annual report, it gives the CRAs 45 days to investigate, instead of the usual 30. Not to mention, the paper reports often have info the online reports do not.

This is true.

I'll add one way to get around this.

- Use the free reports to do the address disputes. (They should not take the full 45 days.)

- After you receive your official results, request that each CRA mail you an updated credit report.

These new reports usually have a new report number - and will only give the CRAs 30 days to investigate your future disputes.

If you do the address disputes by mail, you can include a sentence in your letter requesting they mail you the updated report upon conclusion of the investigation.

I agree with all the above advice EXCEPT trying to get addresses deleted over the phone. I think it is better to have ALL disputes with CRAs done by snail mail so that you can avoid getting trapped in their computerized response system.

http://www.whychat.5u.com/GUIDEBOOK.html

The judgment probably doesn't actually exist except as a a FILED judgment in the case file, have him follow this guide:

http://www.whychat.5u.com/deletejudg.html

Once he has been able to delete old addresses, he can start disputing EITHER the judgment OR the medical accounts with this program:

http://www.whychat.5u.com/GUIDE%20HIPAA%20PROGRAM.html

The parking tickets should be PAID, they can NOT be disputed and will stick to his reports FOREVER as they are "Governmental debts" with NO 7 year limit on reporting

I'll have him read over all these links! Thanks once again. Question: Getting him to pay for the "governmental debts", is it possible to have them PFD as long as it as paid in full, or if he pays it and they agree to update the credit report as "paid" but it will stay on there for life? Any additional clarification would be appreciated.

Question: Getting him to pay for the "governmental debts", is it possible to have them PFD as long as it as paid in full, or if he pays it and they agree to update the credit report as "paid" but it will stay on there for life? Any additional clarification would be appreciated.

This is one perspective:

Question: As "Z" was denied a work opportunity within the last 60 days, he's entitled to a free copy of his credit report, correct?

I've found the following phone number for Equifax: 1-800-685-1111

That phone number includes an option to request a report based upon a denial of credit, or denial of employment.

I've found this number for Experian: 1 866-200-6020, which also includes an option to order a report based upon denial of credit/employment.

The only one I haven't found a phone number for where you can request a paper copy of your credit report (for free) based upon denial of credit/employment is Transunion.

I've found this form here: https://disclosure.transunion.com/dc/disclosure/disclosure.jsp

That form, because it is online, and not via the phone, will presumably provide another online copy of his report, not a paper copy like calling through the phone system will. Any idea/phone number/form how to request a paper copy of one's TU report based upon denial of credit/employment status?

Thanks as always!

Edited by thesaintly

Tweak, thanks for the heads up. I did try calling that one previously, but the system was unable to verify the personal information required to send out the report, plus it wasn't stated as an option to get a free copy due to denial of employment/credit. Is there a separate customer service number for TU that isn't automated, as I was thinking about instructing Z to call them on Tuesday, once the holiday weekend is over. I found another automated number, 877-322-8228, which appears to be for requests related to your free annual report due to the FCRA.

I'm thinking about advising him to start by disputing just his outdated addresses, work history and phone numbers via the TU online dispute system. Once that's complete, then have him order another copy of his paper report via phone, if I can find the right number, or just have him pay to order a paper copy online, if we can find the right option during checkout. Thoughts?

You could try the personal info disputes.

And then request that TU mail you an updated copy of the reports (hopefully it will have a new report number).

Search credit boards for the backdoor numbers thread - TU may be in there (although it is mostly a thread for bank underwriters).

or just search "TU phone number site:creditboards.com" and search the entire interwebs on google as well.

• 3 months later...

The last post in this topic was posted 3002 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.