My wife wants to get a good Airline Rewards card and increase her current limits

The last post in this topic was posted 2171 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello,

My wife has real FICO scores of 760 and up. We just closed on a refi for our mortgage (4/20) My FICO scores are from 740-760. The new mortgage is not showing up on my credit yet so I am assuming it is not showing on my wifes either.

My wife has a Citi card, a Discovery, AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue, and a green AMEX. She currently has a balance on her Discovery, and her AMEX Platinum (Around 9k total) All her limits are under 5k.

We are wondering, which CC she should apply for to get the best Airline rewards? And what strategy we should use to grow her limits? I think her oldest acct is from 1998 or 99 (Her Amexs) and her newest acct is the Discover card (2011 I think) Her salary supports these limits with no problem. She has never applied for a CC increase before. She also got some fancy looking shiny black envelope that contained an invitation to a Black Barclays card? I saved it but then i turned around and lost it. Any idea what that was?

I recently grew my own limits (From less than 10k-35k total. Highest card is 15k) so I have a general idea but I wanted more opinions to see if I am on the right track. Thanks again guys :-)

We mainly fly domestic or to the Carribbean. Just trying to get our plane tickets for one of our vacays for free using points. we spend a lot through the year, might as well let it get us some gree tix or at least an upgrade to 1st class. We prefer JetBlue but fly Delta, US Airwyas, or AA once in a while

We mainly fly domestic or to the Carribbean. Just trying to get our plane tickets for one of our vacays for free using points. we spend a lot through the year, might as well let it get us some gree tix or at least an upgrade to 1st class. We prefer JetBlue but fly Delta, US Airwyas, or AA once in a while

JetBlue's card is about to switch from Amex to Barclays. The card doesn't offer much beyond the signup bonus.

The Delta Gold card from Amex is decent if you look past how the program has been massively devalued.

American Airlines is a solid program. Many suspect that it will be devalued after the merger is complete, but that's just speculation. The platinum card is available with a 50K mile signup bonus.

The best U.S. program is from Alaska Airlines. Their program can be used to book flights on American and Delta, as well as several international airlines. The card is available with a 25K signup bonus. If you live in, or near Seattle, it's possible to be targeted with a 50K signup bonus.

All of the above cards, except for the Delta, have foreign transaction fees. That's easily avoided if your wife uses the Amex Platinum outside the country.

She should also get no-annual fee Visa and MasterCards with foreign transaction fees as backup.

About the Barclays Black, it sucks. Save your money.

Oh yeah we eat out a lot too. At least 4 times a week

I see that she has a Platinum and Green card? Why not close the Green? She might want to open a PRG for the two points on dining in U.S. restaurants (starts June 1st.)

Other cards that give enhanced rewards for dining are the Citi Premiere and Prestige, and the Chase Sapphire Preferred.

The Prestige is a $450 card, but a great value if the benefits are used. For one thing, people with Citigold accounts have reported getting it for $350. It offers a $250 credit for airline expenses, so one ticket can turn this into a $200 (from the $450 fee) card. It also offers free rounds of golf, and other features.

forget that worthless Black Barclays card.

first things first she needs to request a CLI on the Amex Blue for 3x her current limit.

but the balances sound like they may be an issue if she has that much and such small limits.

Why not close the Green?

no way!

can't get that D* back......

forget that worthless Black Barclays card.first things first she needs to request a CLI on the Amex Blue for 3x her current limit.but the balances sound like they may be an issue if she has that much and such small limits.

Why not close the Green?

no way!can't get that D* back......
Yep, if anything PC the Greenie to a PRG. 3x's airline points, 2x's groceries, 2x's restaurants (coming soon). Use it enough and you can get the AF waived or an MR credit.

forget that worthless Black Barclays card.first things first she needs to request a CLI on the Amex Blue for 3x her current limit.but the balances sound like they may be an issue if she has that much and such small limits.

Why not close the Green?

Yep, if anything PC the Greenie to a PRG. 3x's airline points, 2x's groceries, 2x's restaurants (coming soon). Use it enough and you can get the AF waived or an MR credit.

Good points. :good: PCIng the green to a PRG is the way to go. She won't get the signup bonus, but the D* is worth more over the long haul.

Too bad you missed the US Airways (now American) with Barclay's. That was easy miles.

My girl is strictly Delta unless that is not an option, thus the Amex Delta. American seems best for me on the routes I travel most, and I can use the shopping portal to both add miles and prevent expiration. Recently added a Citi AA. As noted, Alaska is really nice, and I will get that eventually as it is almost like having another way to earn American Miles.

Why not close the Green?

Good points. :good: PCIng the green to a PRG is the way to go. She won't get the signup bonus, but the D* is worth more over the long haul.

Another possibility is to open a PRG and get the signup bonus. Close the PRG in a year. Then PC the Green to a PRG.

An airline card is a strong candidate for rewards on airline ticket purchases, but mediocre for general purchases. I gather that general purchases account for the bulk of your card use. In that case, look for a card that provides strong cash back. Citi Double Cash is a good candidate.

Hi Mendelssohn,

DCA (National Airport in DC) I was kind of thinking that as well. Get a card that lets her earn good on general spending, yet be able to transfer points on a fair basis. Looks like we can get a free Roundtrip Coach ticket on Alaska Airlines for 25k miles. Same on their partners Delta, and AA. They also offer that annual Companion Fare (From $121) Wonder if that means the fares start at $121 then if you want to go somewhere nice the Carribbean it's more? May be worth it depending on how much more it is to go to the Carribbean. Anyone used the companion benefit yet?

The AMEX PRG looks pretty good too. I'll definitely mention that she should PC to one of those. And what does PC stand for anyways? I know it means to switch from one card to another but was just wondering the words associated with PC. Thanks!

On an aside I just requested a 3x CLI on my SPG Amex.

BOOM it worked. Yaaassssssss.

6 months from now my new mortgage will have hit my credit so hopefully that will increase my score a bit. Plus the old mortgage will be shown as paid off now. Then Ill ask for another 3x on my MACY's Amex. Or maybe I can get Macys to add my store card credit to my Macy's Amex then do the 3x CLI

On an aside I just requested a 3x CLI on my SPG Amex.

BOOM it worked. Yaaassssssss.

6 months from now my new mortgage will have hit my credit so hopefully that will increase my score a bit. Plus the old mortgage will be shown as paid off now. Then Ill ask for another 3x on my MACY's Amex. Or maybe I can get Macys to add my store card credit to my Macy's Amex then do the 3x CLI

Now sign in to Discover.com and request a credit limit increase. if one is available it will show that immediately and then ask for income and rent. if it asks to pull credit, just skip it (that would be a hard pull on your credit). Lately that online Credit Request has been working about every 17 days, so milk it while you can.

Hi Mendelssohn,

DCA (National Airport in DC) I was kind of thinking that as well. Get a card that lets her earn good on general spending, yet be able to transfer points on a fair basis. Looks like we can get a free Roundtrip Coach ticket on Alaska Airlines for 25k miles. Same on their partners Delta, and AA. They also offer that annual Companion Fare (From $121) Wonder if that means the fares start at $121 then if you want to go somewhere nice the Carribbean it's more? May be worth it depending on how much more it is to go to the Carribbean. Anyone used the companion benefit yet?

The AMEX PRG looks pretty good too. I'll definitely mention that she should PC to one of those. And what does PC stand for anyways? I know it means to switch from one card to another but was just wondering the words associated with PC. Thanks!

To me PC means Product Change.

Off topic here---I LOVE Barclays. They are the only lender I've dealt with that you can consistently speak to a credit analyst and allow you to explain every aspect of your credit report. They were the first to take a major chance on me after my reports were cleaned up and they have always been good to me.

That being said, I they have no good airline card now that US Airways is merged with AA. Delta's program is the worst, and I don't really like United's too much. AA is a solid program but I agree it will likely be devalued after the merger. But you can app and use the signup bonus right away which will get you very close to two tickets to the Caribbean.

If you travel short distances, consider the British Airways card. They have a distance based rewards program. You might also consider a program where you can earn and transfer to a number of airlines. People like the SPG Amex. Both Citi and Chase are offering pretty good signup bonuses now for at least one each of their Thank You Points and Ultimate Rewards points cards.

There is no easy answer to your question. I made my ultimate decision based on flight prices and general availability out of my home airport. And I chose the credit card as a secondary decision.

Edited by myfrogger

Oh and my wifes Citi card is a Citi Dividends card. The discounts are nice but they only give you $300/year. Hmmmmmph. Looks like she'll be PCing to the AA Advantage or maybe one of their cash back products. Then Im gonna concentrate on growing all her current limits. Will also most likely PC her Amex green to that AMEX PRG mentioned above. I already have my own SPG Amex so we dont need two

The last post in this topic was posted 2171 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.