Redbird RIP 5-6-2015

The last post in this topic was posted 2082 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I had pretty much the identical sequence of events this morning to the account linked above.

Failed a couple CC loads, ran a VGC just fine.

The CS rep and I had a good laugh about the rush of loaders last night.

Sure as hell would be easier to liquidate than other methods.

PIN based GC is also 5K a month?

I would assume so, since it would qualify as a cash reload.

The target I go to is very strict. I wonder if they are going to call the GC's third party credit and even refuse to try it. It's their type of thing to do...

Target: Sir, we don't except CC anymore as a payment method

ME: this isn't a CC, it's a debit card. (Shows them card) You see it's a debit card

Target: the card has to match your name

Me: (looks at name tag of employee) I'm going to call target Corportate now and tell them you are refusing to swipe my debit card

To be continued...

What about buying a VGC right at the register and then load it from VGC right there to RC. I dont think cashier will have any questions then since you bought the card from him right there.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had pretty much the identical sequence of events this morning to the account linked above.

Failed a couple CC loads, ran a VGC just fine.

The CS rep and I had a good laugh about the rush of loaders last night.

Sure as hell would be easier to liquidate than other methods.

PIN based GC is also 5K a month?

I would assume so, since it would qualify as a cash reload.

The target I go to is very strict. I wonder if they are going to call the GC's third party credit and even refuse to try it. It's their type of thing to do...

Target: Sir, we don't except CC anymore as a payment method

ME: this isn't a CC, it's a debit card. (Shows them card) You see it's a debit card

Target: the card has to match your name

Me: (looks at name tag of employee) I'm going to call target Corportate now and tell them you are refusing to swipe my debit card

To be continued...

What about buying a VGC right at the register and then load it from VGC right there to RC. I dont think cashier will have any questions then since you bought the card from him right there.

That will be a quick way to get that store to stop loading VGC's.

Bird has officially been domesticated in CT and RI. Even the store that did not offer Redbird, upon an attempt to reload gives message," 0.00 AMOUNT LOADED". Employees had no idea why it is so and have been running around to help the situation. I just played stupid as if I am equally confused by the situation.

Strange part is the CC keypad screen still displays swipe Amex, Discover , MasterCard, or Visa.

I am only suggesting that ... you may want to engage in other credit activities but after RedBird, is there anything meaningful left?

RC was never a meaningful part of MS. It was basically an easy way to meet spending requirement bonuses. This still can be done with an extra step and some fees involved.

I am only suggesting that ... you may want to engage in other credit activities but after RedBird, is there anything meaningful left?

RC was never a meaningful part of MS. It was basically an easy way to meet spending requirement bonuses. This still can be done with an extra step and some fees involved.

Well Rorer, share another strategy with us, will you? I'm familiar with CC -> AGC -> VGC -> RB/AFT or CC -> VGC -> MO routes... but I feel that I was lucky this time that I did not have a lot of AGC that I could not liquidate. I like to diversify my methods and would like add couple of more strategies. What other routes are there? Not asking for specifics or store names, I can do that research myself... but just to understand a strategy or two at the top level.

I purchase $26K+ in gift cards at a time. None of them ever liquidated through a Redbird because I considered it a waste when the Redbirds could be loaded directly with a CC. I can change $56K / mo of gift cards into MO's for $67.60 in fees. Running $15K / mo of them through the Redbirds would only save me $19.50 in fees, but would have taken $15K of the easiest M$ out of the equation. In other words, on a per annum (considering it had lasted a whole year) using the Redbird to liquidate MO's would have saved me $234 but cost me 180,000 extra miles/points at a minimum

The only gift cards I was liquidating through Redbirds was when I would purchase $1,800 at a time from Staples or OD. The AGC's and MGC's and even the $200 VGC's were just easier to feed to the Redbird and I was getting them all at 5UR's / $ spent.

All the Redbird CC loading death has done is changed the way I do things. My VGC purchases will rise, and I will continue to add birds to my flock. I will adapt to the situation, I will gain and maintain the initiative.

I purchase $26K+ in gift cards at a time. None of them ever liquidated through a Redbird because I considered it a waste when the Redbirds could be loaded directly with a CC. I can change $56K / mo of gift cards into MO's for $67.60 in fees. Running $15K / mo of them through the Redbirds would only save me $19.50 in fees, but would have taken $15K of the easiest M$ out of the equation. In other words, on a per annum (considering it had lasted a whole year) using the Redbird to liquidate MO's would have saved me $234 but cost me 180,000 extra miles/points at a minimum

The only gift cards I was liquidating through Redbirds was when I would purchase $1,800 at a time from Staples or OD. The AGC's and MGC's and even the $200 VGC's were just easier to feed to the Redbird and I was getting them all at 5UR's / $ spent.

All the Redbird CC loading death has done is changed the way I do things. My VGC purchases will rise, and I will continue to add birds to my flock. I will adapt to the situation, I will gain and maintain the initiative.

You have a solid plan :good:

I purchase $26K+ in gift cards at a time. None of them were ever liquidated through a Redbird because I considered it a waste when the Redbirds could be loaded directly with a CC. I can change $56K $52K / mo of gift cards into MO's for $67.60 in fees (assuming $0.65 fee for a $500 MO). Running $15K / mo of those VCG's through the Redbirds as opposed to liquidating them through MO's would only save me $19.50 in fees, but would have taken $15K of the easiest M$ out of the equation. In other words, on a per annum (considering it had lasted a whole year) using the Redbird to liquidate MO's VGC's would have saved me $234 but cost me 180,000 extra miles/points at a minimum

The only gift cards I was liquidating through Redbirds was when I would purchase $1,800 at a time from Staples or OD. The AGC's and MGC's and even the $200 VGC's were just easier to feed to the Redbird and I was getting them all at 5UR's / $ spent. Now that the CC loads are dead, I will shove as many VGC's as I can through the Redbirds. I will incur $75 / mo in VGC fees to flip the same $15K I was doing direct to Redbirds, so those 180,000 points/mile (minimum, sometimes higher depending on promotions or sign up bonuses) are going to cost me $900. I am also going to get more Redbirds, so I will actually be saving money in MO's fees that I was paying previously. When they clamp down on VGC's (which they will) and when they clamp down on ID verification for each Redcard (which they will) is when I will have a real slowdown.

You have a solid plan :good:

But I found a few typos :)

• 2 months later...

https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm

Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location. You can send up to $1,000 to destinations within the United States. Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks.

I have never been able to purchase a money order at the post office using credit card directly. And even they let me do so, I can only imagine I'll be charged with cash advance fees.

Edited by ERIC0728

https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm

Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location. You can send up to $1,000 to destinations within the United States. Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks.

I have never been able to purchase a money order at the post office using credit card directly. And even they let me do so, I can only imagine I'll be charged with cash advance fees.

This was a few years ago. I guess the payment options changed. Why would cash advance fees apply? I thought that was only if money was taken from an atm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_advance

Some "purchases" made with a credit card of items that are viewed as cash are also considered to be cash advances in accordance with the credit card network's guidelines, thereby incurring the higher interest rate and the lack of the grace period. These often include money orders, lottery tickets, gaming chips, and certain taxes and fees paid to certain governments.

Many pin-less transactions in this games can be coded as cash advance and often you don't realize it until you're seeing the charges on your statement. It's good to be proactive by first calling the credit card issuers to request your cash advance limit to a very small amount or simply zero.

• 1 month later...

The last post in this topic was posted 2082 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.