Sign in to follow this  
dixiecup

Disputing inaccuracies

There is a collection on one of my reports that is mine but the amount is incorrect. When disputing it as inaccurate do I need to specifically say the amount is inaccurate or just say the information is inaccurate and leave it at that. Thanks

I would be specific.

And if you can find anything else inaccurate besides the balance, dispute those items as well.

Read the Jack Attack thread.

Also, read the 1-2 punch flow chart.

Sometimes it helps to send a DV letter to the CA first, and then immediately follow up with a dispute to the CRA.

What is the DoFD?

What state are in you in, and what is the SOL?

How much is the collection for?

If it is a lot of money and you are within SOL for lawsuits, be aware before you dispute or DV that you could wake up the sleeping bear.

DoFD is 8/2012. the report says I owe $100 but I think I actually owe about $238. I am in Missouri.

I believe the SOL in MO is 5 years.

It is extremely unlikely they will sue for $100, so I'd say you are safe to fight this.

Be careful disputing the balance if you think you actually owe more. :grin:

Is this a medical or utility collection?

There are specific ways to attack those.

It is a Dr office.I thought about paying the OC and then disputing the CA. This has worked for me in the past with trans union but I've never tried it with Experian.

I would follow WhyChat's special letters program for medical collections.

The first steps from his guidebook are:

Opt out

Get old addresses deleted from your reports.

Then post in the medical forum for personal guidance from WhyChat.

This has a good success rate.

There are specific ways to do this correctly, so you can take advantage of the HIPAA medical privacy laws to help you.

Follow the instructions exactly, and don't dispute anything else while you are working on this medical collection.

Good luck!

With such a small amount at stake, I would negotiate a pay for delete.

And then what do you do with the OC? If it's been sold, a pay for delete might get the CA off, but not the OC.

dixiecup,

I noticed that you asked two questions in different threads -- which is perfectly fine.

But you might want to consider posting in a single thread (either continuing this one, or starting a new one)

so that people can see your entire credit situation in one place.

That way, we can help you prioritize a strategy and what to work on first for the most impact.

Good luck!

There is a collection on one of my reports that is mine but the amount is incorrect. When disputing it as inaccurate do I need to specifically say the amount is inaccurate or just say the information is inaccurate and leave it at that. Thanks

If me, I would phrase my dispute as:

"I have never had an acct from xx for xx amount of dollars at that time. Please remove."

With such a small amount at stake, I would negotiate a pay for delete.

And then what do you do with the OC? If it's been sold, a pay for delete might get the CA off, but not the OC.

The OC (Doctor's office) will not be on her reports. Paying the OC has worked every single time for me and usually within 30 days the CA is gone. Good luck!

Please follow Why Chat's guides (posted by Tweak earlier). With medical collections, it is really the best option, and has a very high success rate. Just paying the OC without following all the steps can cause the OC to send payment to the CA and just result in a paid collection that looks newer and therefore hurts your scores more.

Yes, the OC is not listed. Only the CA. It worked with me with AT&T and Dish but wasn't sure with a medical office.