The Master Travel Redemptions Thread

CMI-LAS 5000 points +$5.60

LAS-HOU $65

IAH-CMI 5000 points +$5.60

All flights have decent layover in DFW for centurion access.

CMI-ANYWHERE (and vice versa) never drops below $300.  I'm extremely happy with the value that I get for AA miles out of CMI.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've never visited.   I'm not even certain his father is aware of our relationship, and his mother is mainly in denial.      This is just a constraint I've willingly accepted in ex

Just booked airline travel via Amex Travel on United. Prices were good. Used pts for SAN -DEN and HDN -SAN on return. Only out $15. Not bad.

If it summer, there’s a pretty good chance a cruise is in our plans ... this year it’s two ... with almost the entire bill paid for by others ...   Just sailed into Seattle this am from a on

On Friday I decided to take a break from Mudland for about a week, and booked a roundtrip to SAN in Economy departing the following morning.

Combo Anytime Award + Web Special was 38,000 miles + $11.20.  Cash price for the ticket would have been $588.

The automatic status extension for an extra year has made it more feasible to burn miles instead of chasing EQDs.

($588.00-11.20) / 38,000 = $0.015 cpm

On 4/27/2020 at 5:42 AM, cv91915 said:

On Friday I decided to take a break from Mudland for about a week, and booked a roundtrip to SAN in Economy departing the following morning.

Combo Anytime Award + Web Special was 38,000 miles + $11.20.  Cash price for the ticket would have been $588.

The automatic status extension for an extra year has made it more feasible to burn miles instead of chasing EQDs.

($588.00-11.20) / 38,000 = $0.015 cpm

I just got 7,500 miles from AA Customer Service for an inconvenience on one of the flight segments.

If I net out the bonus miles the redemption looks like this:

(58800-1120) / (38000-7500) = $0.019 cpm

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked one-way MUD-SAN in Economy tomorrow afternoon for 32,000 miles + $5.60, in lieu of $303. 

(30300 - 560) / 32000 = 0.93 cpm

The upgrade to First was processed immediately after ticketing (as has been happening lately).

An hour ago when I decided to do this, the same flights were pricing at 22,000 miles.  😐  There were still lower-priced itineraries when I booked, but this the only one tomorrow that doesn't require me to cancel/move meetings. 

This is the worst redemption value in recent history, but I have more AA miles than sense.

11 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Just booked one-way MUD-SAN in Economy tomorrow afternoon for 32,000 miles + $5.60, in lieu of $303. 

(30300 - 560) / 32000 = 0.93 cpm

The upgrade to First was processed immediately after ticketing (as has been happening lately).

An hour ago when I decided to do this, the same flights were pricing at 22,000 miles.  😐  There were still lower-priced itineraries when I booked, but this the only one tomorrow that doesn't require me to cancel/move meetings. 

This is the worst redemption value in recent history, but I have more AA miles than sense.

At a time when tiers have been renewed through the end of 2021, and the odds of a bankruptcy reorg of AA have now climbed to 90%+ (I'm shedding some tears over the "bargain" shares I decided to invest in), burning miles has never made more sense.

Unfortunately, between Bev and I, we have about $5k in cancelled AA itineraries that (when we start flying again) we're going to have to chew through before we can even start on our 2 mil mile stockpile.

17 minutes ago, hdporter said:

At a time when tiers have been renewed through the end of 2021, and the odds of a bankruptcy reorg of AA have now climbed to 90%+ (I'm shedding some tears over the "bargain" shares I decided to invest in), burning miles has never made more sense.

Unfortunately, between Bev and I, we have about $5k in cancelled AA itineraries that (when we start flying again) we're going to have to chew through before we can even start on our 2 mil mile stockpile.

The automatic extension of status through next year has given me a chance to use miles for a change.

I paid cash for the return next Sunday.  I need some trail of EQDs to maintain upgrade priority months from now after business travel meaningfully resumes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently cashed in ~250K URs in lieu of a $3800 fare to book a biz class ticket to Scotland next year.  Unfortunately, I only had 3 options, and this was the best of the lot.  Booked as an AA ticket flying on BA metal.  Other good point is first leg is direct from TX to London, so hopefully can get some sleep.  Also ticket is fully refundable (less a fee of $275) in case we can't travel.  Note:  Biz class was required, I am not flying an overnight 12+ hour flight in coach.

Alternate option 1 - Xfer to United and use miles.  Biz saver fare would have been somewhat doable going out, but the trip back was a 2 stop with an overnight (40+ hour trip)...non-starter.  Could've done a full up biz ticket but then the miles transferred would've been more than the URs spent for the flight I got.

Alternate Option 2 - Transfer to BA and user BA miles.  Better from a miles standpoint (would've used roughly half the URs), but the onerous taxes on BA award tix (around $1500 IIRC) made it not worthwhile. 

Still have ~500K URs plus 120K United miles to use for future plans.

Edited by CTSoxFan

Just booked a roundtrip in Premium Economy* for TAD to attend his brother's wedding in Ankara next month.

I put the $1,258.37 fare on his Capital One Vulture, and I'll use the ~70,000 points from the SUB and some nominal spending to sop up more than half of the charge.

Then I'll probably have him switch back to the silly Double Cash for 2% back, since that will be kept open longer term.  

The Vulture gets the axe when the AF hits in a few months, and I don't want to leave any points behind.  

* Outbound:

MUD-ORD: Economy on United Express

ORD-MUC: Premium Economy on Lufthansa

MUC-ESB: Economy on SUNExpress (29" seat pitch!)

Inbound:

ESB-MUC: Economy on SUNExpress

MUC-EWR: Premium Economy on Lufthansa

EWR-MUD: Economy on United Express

17 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Just booked a roundtrip in Premium Economy* for TAD to attend his brother's wedding in Ankara next month.

I put the $1,258.37 fare on his Capital One Vulture, and I'll use the ~70,000 points from the SUB and some nominal spending to sop up more than half of the charge.

Then I'll probably have him switch back to the silly Double Cash for 2% back, since that will be kept open longer term.  

The Vulture gets the axe when the AF hits in a few months, and I don't want to leave any points behind.  

* Outbound:

Inbound:

CV - Just curious, you never seem to go with TAD back to Turkey...have you ever been with him?  Any reason you never seem to join?

just my curiosity, obviously you don't have to answer...

17 hours ago, cv91915 said:

* Outbound:

Inbound:

Glad to see the name Vulture stuck. 😂

42 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

CV - Just curious, you never seem to go with TAD back to Turkey...have you ever been with him?  Any reason you never seem to join?

just my curiosity, obviously you don't have to answer...

I've never visited.

I'm not even certain his father is aware of our relationship, and his mother is mainly in denial.   

This is just a constraint I've willingly accepted in exchange for all of the exceptionally good things.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 6:53 PM, cv91915 said:

g6kUiVk.png 

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an EQD run to get me over 9000 before the end of the year for an additional 4 System-Wide Upgrades (Executive Platinum status was already automatically extended through January of 2022, but if I want the additional 4 SWUs I have to earn them the hard way by spending/flying).  

Now I just need to make sure I use the SWUs before AA goes into BK.  😛  

OOP for airfare, hotel and car for 27 hours in Charlotte:  $0.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nonstop each way from SAN-CLT-SAN was 69,447 US Bank points at $0.015 each in lieu of $1,041.71 in cash.

There were connecting itineraries that were a lot less expensive, but this is more convenient, it's fake money, and this fare plus the other 2020 travel I already have planned will get me over 9000 -- without having to make another "frivolous" trip.

tvwoZA5.jpg 

Since I only needed a hotel for one night, I used the free weekend night reward from my Amex Hilton card and chose the Homewood Suites Charlotte SouthPark because it's convenient to where I'm meeting a friend for dinner on Saturday night.  

This redemption is worth just $128.16, but these "free" single-night benefits are easy to forget about, so I'm content having gotten some value from it.

A4VzNRi.jpg

I also booked a car with US Bank points.  

The rate was about $17 higher than what Autoslash found for me, but I still decided to use 4,798 US Bank points for a ~$72 Enterprise SUV rental using fake money instead of ~$55 at Hertz using real money.

Edited by cv91915
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanksgiving is booked.  🦃

Total cash value of the airfare was $779, and was booked for $35 in cash (+ points and miles).

Outbound:

11/13 (Me)  One-way MUD-SAN:  $18.48 in cash + 8,055 (all remaining) US Bank points* (cash value $139)

11/22 (TAD) One-way MUD-SAN: 12,500 AA miles + $5.60 in lieu of $142 in cash (1.1 cpm :( )**

Inbound:

11/30 (both) One-way SAN-MUD:  54,000 miles + $11.20 in lieu of $498 (0.9 cpm :( )***

* Annual fee on the Altitude Reserve gets charged next month.  Now that I'm down to 0 points I'm poised for a graceful exit if they don't offer a retention bonus.  Since I can no longer use the Gogo wifi passes (AA has switched to Viasat) this card no longer pulls its own weight with the AF.

** I used TAD's miles for this one.  His AAdvantage account has been inactive for almost a year, so this redemption will reset the expiration date on his remaining 230,000 miles.

*** I used my miles for this one, which is an even poorer value.  With other planned travel for the remainder of the year I will hit 9,000 EQDs (for an additional 4 SWUs to use in 2021).  Plus I'm sitting here with 800,000 banked miles, so it made zero sense to pay cash OOP for a revenue ticket for this trip.

On 8/3/2020 at 6:53 PM, cv91915 said:

* Outbound:

ORD-MUC: Premium Economy on Lufthansa United

Inbound:

MUC-EWR: Premium Economy on Lufthansa United

This doesn't really make a lot of difference, except I don't like leaving behind incorrect information.

This ticket was purchased from Lufthansa, but it was 100% on other airlines' equipment.

I didn't ask about ORD-MUC, but the MUC-EWR segment was nearly empty (TAD estimates fewer than 12 people, but that seems improbable to me).

On 9/27/2020 at 7:21 AM, cv91915 said:

With other planned travel for the remainder of the year I will hit 9,000 EQDs (for an additional 4 SWUs to use in 2021). 

I haven't booked our flights for Christmas yet, but yesterday we decided to stay in San Diego at least until New Years Day, so that's one flight segment that won't contribute to hitting the 2020 EQD threshold as planned.

As a result, I decided to split a future roundtrip (MUD-SAN-MUD) into two one-ways and purchase one of those in First.  I used the remainder of TAD's MRs* to offset some of the cost.

So I just grabbed 11/1: SAN-MUD**, one way, in AA First.  Payment breakdown is below.

All of my October and November travel is now booked.  By the end of November I should be at ~9100 EQDs, with just the one-way from MUD-SAN for Christmas left to book.  If all goes as planned between now and then, I'll use miles for that.

* AF posts on 11/15.  This one is going to require a really strong retention offer (greater than the AF) to persuade me to keep it.  It really adds no value.

** Even during normal times I have the lowest upgrade success on the SAN-DFW segment.  That's why I chose to buy this one-way in First vs. an itinerary going in the other direction.  Last week was the first time since February that my upgrades didn't all go through, and it was, of course, SAN-DFW.

j21PLSQ.png  

Edited by cv91915
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this is a GLITCH or the result of the way I purchased this ticket. 

I booked this trip on the US Bank travel portal and paid the entire fare with US Bank points (27,713 * $0.015 = $415.70).

I was expecting to receive 415.70 * 11 = 4,572 redeemable miles and somewhere around 400 EQDs (1 EQD per dollar spent on the non-tax/fee portion of the fare paid)...  and yet:

kCxZch6.png

It appears that this trip posted as a "special fare," and as such the credits to my AAdvantage account are based on distance traveled (instead of dollars spent).   

I knew this type of mileage credit calculation existed, but I've never experienced it on a ticket paid with credit card points used as cash.  

MUD-SAN was in Economy (G) and earned 50% of the distance traveled as base Award Miles and 10% of the distance traveled as EQDs.

SAN-MUD was in Economy (L) and earned 75% of the distance traveled as base Award Miles and 15% of the distance traveled as EQDs.

Total award miles are calculated at ((base miles / 5) * 11), which is logical since under the revenue-based system, standard AAdvantage members earn 5 award miles per dollar spent and EPs get 11.

Here is one of my return segments for reference:

tsS4CLd.png

14 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I wonder if this is a GLITCH or the result of the way I purchased this ticket. 

It appears that this trip posted as a "special fare," and as such the credits to my AAdvantage account are based on distance traveled (instead of dollars spent).   

I knew this type of mileage credit calculation existed, but I've never experienced it on a ticket paid with credit card points used as cash.  

Interesting (fwiw, aa.com explanation of calculation):

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/earn/special-fares.jsp

So you sent me researching how travel for a Jul '19 ATL-SEA ticket (obtained with Chase UR pt redemption) was credited.  In that case, Aadvantage account was credited based on "Method: Fare", and the standard calculations applied (* drat! *).

I wonder what it is about the US Bank travel portal redemption that qualified for "special fare" status, but wasn't also applicable to my Chase travel portal redemption ...

IIRC, I believe "special fare" Aadvantage calcs also apply when you purchase an AA metal flight through a code-share airline.  While it's not always the case, the mileage based calcs typically garner greater credits.  Because I rely heavily on AA EXP support in managing my itineraries (purchased via AA), I've never sought to exploit this.  On that note, while support via Chase Travel portal personnel for UR redemption tickets is reasonable, handling a reservation change through them was a far cry from the expedited/attentive AA EXP support I've grown accustomed to!)

2 hours ago, hdporter said:

I wonder what it is about the US Bank travel portal redemption that qualified for "special fare" status, but wasn't also applicable to my Chase travel portal redemption ...

Upon closer inspection of this chart, I've ruled out COMPUTER GLITCH.

O7Ktfnp.png 

Here is the previous (and my only other) trip booked via US Bank's travel site and paid entirely with US Bank points (69,447 @ $0.015 = $1041.71).

This one credited based on dollars spent (1023 EQDs at 1 per $1 spent pre-tax/fee) and 11 Award Miles per $1 spent.  One of these segments was in Economy (L) like the previous trip I posted, but the other was in (M).

LnngnB0.png  

Now I'm wondering if this is based on fare class, with either the higher or lower class dictating which method is used for the entire itinerary.

I have one more trip... a one-way (MUD-SAN on 11/13) booked with a combo of US Bank points + a cash copay in Economy (S)...  but I'm not sure what additional info that data point will yield since it's an entirely different fare class and the payment was made partially with cash. 

Edited by cv91915

Another note on the "special fare" calculation on the US Bank-paid trip...

I can't go back and look because the trip is complete, but for the trip that I bought on the US Bank site that posted as a special fare, I recall the fare breakdown was missing when viewing the itinerary on AA.com.

Looking ahead to the 11/13 trip that was also booked through US Bank (with a combo of US Bank points and cash), I see the same thing:

ZC8p9yT.png 

On the other hand, I booked this SAN-MUD itinerary, one-way in First on 11/1, via the Amex travel portal (using a combo of MRs and cash). 

This is the same breakdown as if I'd purchased the trip directly from AA.com.

6B5O9A4.png