Jump to content

cv91915

The Master Travel Redemptions Thread

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, mec said:

 

I don't think any flexible points can be converted to AA miles.

 

Do you have specific dates or a range of dates for travel?

 

There are some Star Alliance flights with business class available in September. If you were to book them through Aeroplan, they would be 57.5k per seat for MIA-PRG and 55k for per seat for MUC-MIA... + ~$117 (US) in taxes and fees.

Planning to leave on the 14th and come back on the 25th. But the dates are flexible. 

I checked on Aeroplan and only found coach for the flight to PRG. I’d rather pay for the flight than fly coach internationally. I could use points for the return flight and pay for the flight there if I can’t find another option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, DPB said:

Planning to leave on the 14th and come back on the 25th. But the dates are flexible. 

I checked on Aeroplan and only found coach for the flight to PRG. I’d rather pay for the flight than fly coach internationally. I could use points for the return flight and pay for the flight there if I can’t find another option. 

I see the same.

 

I do see Business class from JFK to Prague if you could position up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mec said:

I see the same.

 

I do see Business class from JFK to Prague if you could position up there.

I saw that. But if I leave on the 13th, there is a MIA-PRG flight. Basically the same as the JFK flight, 787-8 from the US to Warsaw, then a Dash 8 Q400 to PRG. I’m not sure how Aeroplan can call the Q400 business class, but it’s only an hour and a half flight. 

 

I was actually hoping to fly in and out of TPA, but that doesn’t seem to be an option if I want business class for the international flight. So I’m planning to drive down to Miami. I could even rent a car for that, which would probably be the same as going TPA-JFK.

 

I’ll probably go the Aeroplan route leaving on the 13th. It would have been nice if I could have used my original plan. Less MRs spent and AA’s planes are nicer, but free business class airfare is still great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DPB said:

 

 

14 hours ago, DPB said:

...

 

I was actually hoping to fly in and out of TPA, ...

 

You could probably ad a 'manual' leg from TPA-EWR in United economy over the phone for a booking fee. (LOT has a business EWR - WAR - PRG available on the 14th) 

 

There also appear to be LX options out of JFK that need to be assembled with a phone agent, but that would involve an airport transfer. Either seems to involve a longish layover in New York, which may be preferable to the other alternatives.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mec said:

 

You could probably ad a 'manual' leg from TPA-EWR in United economy over the phone for a booking fee. (LOT has a business EWR - WAR - PRG available on the 14th) 

 

There also appear to be LX options out of JFK that need to be assembled with a phone agent, but that would involve an airport transfer. Either seems to involve a longish layover in New York, which may be preferable to the other alternatives.

 

 

So I’d call United or Aeroplan to add a TPA to either JFK or EWR? I’d be fine with a layover in JFK. I could just go to the Centurion lounge. Or if it’s a long enough layover, I could just go find something to do in the city. It’s been 20 years since I’ve been to NYC and I’ve been considering going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aeroplan. There is a fee to book over the phone. I think it's $30 CAD per ticket. Just get all of the flight numbers you want to make up the award flight before you call. I had heard that they sometimes wave the fee if you ask and mention that the route can't be booked online, but the did not wave it for me.

 

I had a particularly convoluted set of twelve flights to request and I had to find alternatives twice, once when I tried to open jaw between western and eastern Europe... I can't remember why the other routing got rejected. But I was eventually able to get much economy flights from and back to PIT included in the award. It's hard to find lie flat awards for the ocean crossing, but they are out there if you search enough and have some date flexibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/11/2019 at 7:12 PM, mec said:

 

...

...

layover Boston (1 night at the Residence Inn Downtown Seaport [1 35k cert related to $95 fee {$3.39 per fee dollar} ] )

...

...

 

Vienna (4 nights in Vienna at Le Meridian [140k marriott {0.007 ppd} ] )

...

 

 

 

I acquired 2 more (35k max per night) certs over the past 3 months and decided it would be wiser to rearrange these hotels to use them in a way I consider better.

 

I canceled the Residence Inn Stay and booked our night in Boston at the Airport Hilton. We arrive at BOS at ~23:17, so I really like the idea of walking across a few parking garages to the hotel there rather than trying to take a train or some other option.

 

1 Night - Hilton Boston Logan Airport 60,000 pts ~ 0.00575 ppn 

 

I then re-booked the Le Meridien Vienna as 2 bookings,

 

3 Nights using the 3 certs Cash value  ~ 315.00 usd (fees) / 697.76 usd = 0.45 dollars in fees per (Marriott direct) room booking dollar. (Amex SPG Business fee went up to 125.00)

 

1 Night at 35k pts 250.88 usd (Marriott direct) room booking ~ 0 .007168 ppd

 

 

This returns 105,000 (non expiring) points to my 'Bonvoy' account.

 

 

Edited by mec

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last Friday I booked 2 one-way AA Anytime award tickets from MUD-DCA in Economy for the following day.

 

There were plenty of choices at the Saver level for connecting itineraries at 12,500 miles + $5.60, but we wanted to go non-stop, so I used 20,000 + $5.60 per ticket in lieu of $257.00 each.

 

The $75 close-in booking fee was waived with my EP status.

 

The upgrades went through almost immediately, so we flew in First (short flight on a regional jet) for:

 

((2 * 25700) + (2 * 5.60)) / (2 * 20000) = 1.3 cpp

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Last Friday I booked 2 one-way AA Anytime award tickets from MUD-DCA in Economy for the following day.

 

There were plenty of choices at the Saver level for connecting itineraries at 12,500 miles + $5.60, but we wanted to go non-stop, so I used 20,000 + $5.60 per ticket in lieu of $257.00 each.

 

The $75 close-in booking fee was waived with my EP status.

 

The upgrades went through almost immediately, so we flew in First (short flight on a regional jet) for:

 

((2 * 25700) + (2 * 5.60)) / (2 * 20000) = 1.3 cpp

 

Seeing as your sitting a tons of AA miles, probably a good redemption at any rate.

 

By the way, I think your formula is wrong.  Since you paid $5.60 per ticket in fees, and the $257 fare was an all in amount, it should be ($257-5.6)*2/(20,000*2)= $.0126/pp vs. $0.0131  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CTSoxFan said:

Seeing as your sitting a tons of AA miles, probably a good redemption at any rate.

 

By the way, I think your formula is wrong.  Since you paid $5.60 per ticket in fees, and the $257 fare was an all in amount, it should be ($257-5.6)*2/(20,000*2)= $.0126/pp vs. $0.0131  :)

That's what I meant.  :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Booked Delta first class TPA-SFO (LX in LAX) round trip in September. 

I wanted to transfer AMEX points to Virgin Atlantic to take advantage of the 30% bonus and better award charts, but none of the flights that worked with my schedule lined up with award seats available to VA. 

There were other options, but I’m going with friends and it was getting complicated trying to line up award flights with all of our schedules. 

So I booked through AMEX travel. Cost 109,801 points before the 35% back. So 71,370 MR points in all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just booked MUD-FSD-SAN-MUD for the end of the month so I can visit my grandparents on the way to San Diego.

 

Cash price was in the $900s (damn you, summer travelers) so I booked the portion in blue using miles.  

 

AA is screwing around with something called "Web Specials," which aren't very special at all.  There was no Saver option available and an Anytime award was pricing at 50,000 miles ONE-WAY.  

 

So I booked the "Web Special" for 19,000 miles + $5.60 in lieu of $267 in cash.  Ridiculous for two pretty short hops on regional jets.

 

(26700-560) / 19000 = 1.4 cpm

 

The remaining segments priced out at $669.  I used ~$220 of the AA gift cards I have on hand from various credit card benefits, and paid for the balance with my US Bank Altitude Reserve for 4.5% back.

Edited by cv91915

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it summer, there’s a pretty good chance a cruise is in our plans ... this year it’s two ... with almost the entire bill paid for by others ...

 

Just sailed into Seattle this am from a one-week Alaska cruise.  This week brought some of the best weather imaginable in the NW, with tons of sun and daily temps ranging from the 60’s to the low 80’s.   (Sitting outdoors in a park just now while Bev is shopping the pier terminal and other shops!)

 

Cruise was courtesy of Caesars casino play (my elite tier annual benefit).  Scored $430 pp air on AA from Atlanta, so it was a natural Chase Sapphire UR redemption of just $290 pp in pts.  Thrilled that we scored upgrades on all segments, incl our red-eye tonight SEA-CLT!!

 

We put back to sea Aug 3, when we sail the Western Mediterranean (Spain/Italy) for one week out of Barcelona.  Cruise again is a Caesars perk (Bev’s annual benefit).  Air is on AAdvantage Miles (210k), with business upgrade outbound, coach return.  (Heathrow stopover entails $670 air tax, unfortunately)

 

Nice way to ring in my 60th birthday this month!  :)

Edited by hdporter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hdporter said:

If it summer, there’s a pretty good chance a cruise is in our plans ... this year it’s two ... with almost the entire bill paid for by others ...

 

Just sailed into Seattle this am from a one-week Alaska cruise.  This week brought some of the best weather imaginable in the NW, with tons of sun and daily temps ranging from the 60’s to the low 80’s.   (Sitting outdoors in a park just now while Bev is shopping the pier terminal and other shops!)

 

Cruise was courtesy of Caesars casino play (my elite tier annual benefit).  Scored $430 pp air on AA from Atlanta, so it was a natural Chase Sapphire UR redemption of just $290 pp in pts.  Thrilled that we scored upgrades on all segments, incl our red-eye tonight SEA-CLT!!

 

We put back to sea Aug 3, when we sail the Western Mediterranean (Spain/Italy) for one week out of Barcelona.  Cruise again is a Caesars perk (Bev’s annual benefit).  Air is on AAdvantage Miles (210k), with business upgrade outbound, coach return.  (Heathrow stopover entails $670 air tax, unfortunately)

 

Nice way to ring in my 60th birthday this month!  :)

I have a feeling that you may have paid for some of that cruise with your casino play...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

I have a feeling that you may have paid for some of that cruise with your casino play...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advantage_gambling

 

 Now the question is, to what extent do you buy onto the possibility that I have the wits to know what I’m doing, or am simply a little self-dillusioned (like the other 99% of gamblers).  Fwiw, I haven’t bought a lottery ticket in 30+ years — for me, a telling stat.

 

But even if I were to share casino win/loss statements with you (my MGM group statements show a particularly consistent record among 4 casinos played each year) it still comes down to basic credibility (and gamblers are among the bigger liars to be found ;)  )

 

ps — turning around upon arrival at ATL tomorrow am to head to MS for a week (... not to check out their cat 1 storm).

Edited by hdporter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 8:17 PM, hdporter said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advantage_gambling

 

 Now the question is, to what extent do you buy onto the possibility that I have the wits to know what I’m doing, or am simply a little self-dillusioned (like the other 99% of gamblers).  Fwiw, I haven’t bought a lottery ticket in 30+ years — for me, a telling stat.

 

But even if I were to share casino win/loss statements with you (my MGM group statements show a particularly consistent record among 4 casinos played each year) it still comes down to basic credibility (and gamblers are among the bigger liars to be found ;)  )

 

ps — turning around upon arrival at ATL tomorrow am to head to MS for a week (... not to check out their cat 1 storm).

I am not doubting your wits or honesty.  Even if you are playing video poker (making that assumption based on your avatar) with perfect strategy on a machine with a theoretical payback of >100%, it also involves having enough time/bankroll to play long enough to achieve that level of return, which is where the shortfall usually occurs.  Obviously you could catch a lucky portion of the random outcomes, or an unlucky one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today.
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      176,872
    • Most Online
      1,528

    Newest Member
    victorykid1412
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines