Sign in to follow this  
daslim1

Store card hacks...common knowledge?...other hacks?

So, I have started buying lots of Gift cards off different sites for some nice % off. I do not want to name stores atm.

I go online or in store and order more than the gift card amount, pay with gift card leaving a small balance, Let's say $37. I use my store card, original transaction $300+, I was assuming the 5% back would be on $37. It was on the entire amount, another $15+ in savings.

What stores does this work with?

Are there any similar "hacks", if you will?

"I go online or in store and order more than the gift card amount, pay with gift card leaving a small balance"

This statement doesn't make any sense buddy? Also, what cv91915 said......

He/she ordered $337 worth of stuff, then paid $300 of it with a gift card and the remaining $37 with a 5% back* store card. Was happy to receive 5% back on entire purchase.

*Maybe something like a Target card?

Edited by TX-Bluebonnet

He/she ordered $337 worth of stuff, then paid $300 of it with a gift card and the remaining $37 with a 5% back* store card. Was happy to receive 5% back on entire purchase.

That wasn't the point...

That wasn't the point...

Sorry, what? What wasn't the point?

That wasn't the point...

Reread the original post and you tell me how normal that is

That wasn't the point...

I have no opinion on how normal or not it is. I don't come to the forum to judge or make fun of people.

Thanks for clearing that up. :good::D

That wasn't the point...

I have no opinion on how normal or not it is. I don't come to the forum to judge or make fun of people.

Most of us are here for the strudel... but some for the shepherd's pie.

That wasn't the point...

I understood the post, but I find it inappropriate for what the OP was requesting.

That wasn't the point...

Most of us are here for the strudel... but some for the shepherd's pie.

Basterds-Cream1.jpg

I'll withhold mine if you show me yours. :huh:

EDIT: This was in reference to OP and cv's summation of it. :D

Edited by HoustonLynne

Yes, this is a known thing.

The stores that I've seen this happen @ are Sears, and Kmart, and I've heard of others.

Basically you pay a few bucks with the card, and the rest on the gift card, but the full transaction

amount is rewarded back to you in points.

Its not so much a "scam" or a "glitch" as its basically just how their systems work.

The reason I mentioned it that way is how people have a conniption when someone reveals particulars of a "hack" as to put it out to the masses and then it can get nixed. I especially did not want to put in the title.

Yes the clarification given was exactly how it was meant....thank you.

I know this is probably not new, but not common knowledge to me as being fairly new to credit by most standards.

Technically, you could have sent a message directly tell your experience, though it is not common or expected, instead of bashing for not listing the one store I noticed this at.

But, it does not bother me one bit that it happened.

Some of the people that did bash most likely knew exactly what I was referring to, but decided to pile on because of boredom, they are trolling, etc. This is expected here as I have seen.

That is the problem and the reason some people do not post as much as they probably want to. They feel they will get trolled.

I simply noticed this and wanted to put out the scenario.

So take items to register, pay down most of balance with gift card, use store card for rest and when doing so assume the discount for the full purchase, maybe 5% as indicated by store and card for the full total, not just the remainder of balance. Save more $$$$$.

I hope I cleared that up for everyone. I just assume the regulars are here to help, not troll. But, as mentioned, it is Friday.

I am also not sure there is been any confirmation about any other stores. But, just to clarify, Lowe's was the store.

Sorry casemod, I did notice your post. Thank you.

So, possibly, Target, Sears, KMart...

Any others, or any other ways to save $$$$ that might not be so common knowledge referring to CC.

That works with Banana Republic too. As long as you pay a small portion with thier credit card, you will get points on the full amount.

:mellow: