Sign in to follow this  
BILLONAIRSBOYS

American trying to apply for Canadian Credit

It was easier in the 1990's. I assume you don't work, live, or are a citizen of Canada. You can try The Bay and Canadian Tire and hope for the best. For a bank card (MasterCard or Visa) you'll probably need to look for a secured card. At a minimum you'll need to establish a deposit relationship with the bank you're interested in (CIBC, TD Canada Trust, Royal Bank, BMO, Scotiabank, etc.) and after a period of time, inquire about a secured card. This will need to be done in person. I doubt you can do it by mail. Still, no guarantees it will work.

There's also HSBC Premier. Deposit over a $100,000 at their U.S. bank and ask for assistance in opening accounts with them in Canada. You're tying up a lot of money just for a card, but if that's what you want, it may be a way.

Edited by Burgerwars

Burgerwars - if you have an account with BMO Harris in the US would that help expedite things on the Canadian side of the border?

That, I don't know. It probably will make it easier opening a BMO bank account north of the border, but a credit card is difficult. There's also TD Canada Trust/TD Bank and RBC Bank/RBC Royal Bank (later this year City National Bank in Los Angeles becomes part of RBC).

Their cross border banking offers are mainly to help Canadians to have access to U.S. banking, but the opposite can also be done, which is what I have. I suggest on your next trip to Canada go to a branch and inquire. It's best to call in advance, so you know what to bring to open an account.

Edited by Burgerwars

Not planning on trip up there - was just curious and you seem to be one of the few that know anything about Canadian finance on here

This Canadian board is kind of barren. Not much being posted. I find I post more here on Canada banking/credit that anyone else, even though I live in the U.S. They should make me an honorary citizen. ;)

Edited by Burgerwars