M$ speed bumps

Konrad2012

• Admin

I understand your point but it's not 'my' point. Sometimes I like to have things to have things.

To put in perspective - a pair of shoes in my closet average at $1400 and I have several... a pair of a different brand at half the price could easily do the same job with almost similar qualities. I just like to have it.

I use the benefits of my Plat and from what I've read they are similar, of course a bit more with the Cent. $2500 - $450 and that's easily 2 pairs of shoes for me, not including suits - and I have ALOT of suits... I just like to have more.

I'm going to spend the money anyway... I'm just spending it elsewhere.

EDIT: just re-read my post - sorry if that came out douchey/snobby, definitely not how I meant it.

As a young man I read somewhere that when it comes to business, your shoes should cost more than your suit. It was a good tip. I bear witness that women of all ages do indeed take note of such of things.

Shoes tell the truth about a person. Run down heels, scuffs, and you know....

You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste.

Good nutrition's given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, Agent Starling?

And that accent you've tried so desperately to shed: pure West Virginia. What is your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamp?

You know how quickly the boys found you... all those tedious sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars... while you could only dream of getting out... getting anywhere... getting all the way to the FBI.

You're so, so - so funny! :D

I read somewhere that VISA was implementing an algorithm to detect M$ and prevent it. Beeeeeeee careful.

It could be related to the Visa reference in this memo below:

My wife's company uses US Bank for their corporate credit cards.

Below are excerpts from an email she received today from her corporate office.

US Bank can apparently detect gift card purchases on business cards.

Level 3 reporting?

This could be a Visa thing - and not just US Bank.

Excerpt (emphasis added by me):

Recently [the company] switched to US Bank Visa for our Company Credit Card. At the same time that we were making this change, Visa also implemented more stringent Fraud Monitoring guidelines since credit card fraud is on the rise. Below are some tips to help so you can avoid getting “Referred for Fraud” holds placed on your Company cards. Over time, charges are compared to your transaction history and as we build up transaction volume for them to compare against, we should see a decrease in the alerts.

A few things to remember:
2. Grocery Stores have the highest rate of fraud and Gift Cards follow closely behind. If you combine the two, it will probably be flagged. Add being out of town to these and it is a triple threat!
3. Large dollar amounts especially if Gift Cards and not a normal purchase are likely to be flagged
We do have a few options to help combat these alerts up front and until we have a larger transaction base to be compared against.
2. If you know you have a large number of gift cards you need to buy, report it to the number on the back of your card and they will add notes to be seen by the fraud department.

Just went to a luckys Supermarket where they have money gram money orders

Cashier was happy to do debit

Both my vanilla vgc and my Metabank vgc were rejected. Is it the terminal that rejected ? Or did I do something wrong ?

Anyone ?

I understand your point but it's not 'my' point. Sometimes I like to have things to have things.

To put in perspective - a pair of shoes in my closet average at $1400 and I have several... a pair of a different brand at half the price could easily do the same job with almost similar qualities. I just like to have it.

I use the benefits of my Plat and from what I've read they are similar, of course a bit more with the Cent. $2500 - $450 and that's easily 2 pairs of shoes for me, not including suits - and I have ALOT of suits... I just like to have more.

I'm going to spend the money anyway... I'm just spending it elsewhere.

EDIT: just re-read my post - sorry if that came out douchey/snobby, definitely not how I meant it.

This.

I also get treated differently based on the type of card I use.

I just figured out that dressing like a whiteboy allows me to buy VGC's with a CC....not everywhere, but some places.

This.

Don't talk about this too much or they'll catch on.

I just figured out that dressing like a whiteboy allows me to buy VGC's with a CC....not everywhere, but some places.

This.

Maybe you should call it W*. :grin:

This.

Maybe you should call it W*. :grin:

It takes a lot to make me smile while at work. You get props dawg.

Edited by pwd847

Both my vanilla vgc and my Metabank vgc were rejected. Is it the terminal that rejected ? Or did I do something wrong ?

I don't know the answer, but others probably do.

Check the balance on each GC.

Was it a single transaction, or split tender?

Did you get a receipt with the reason it was rejected?

Did you see a reason otherwise (on the screen, or told to you by the cashier)?

Did it say call the number on the back of your card?

Did it say "tender not accepted"?

Were there insufficient funds?

It could possibly be:

- POS is hardcoded to not accept GCs.

- Your GCs are not activated yet -- can take up to 24 hours

- PIN was wrong

- Your GCs have been hacked and drained (unlikely, but possible)

It could possibly be:

- PIN was wrong

It was a split tender transaction... I was trying for a $998 money order ($2 fee) making it an even $1000. So I tried $500 on each card.

No receipt, no reason given, no explanation other than card wasn't accepted. Both cards have the full $500 avail (I just checked)

Only thing I can fathom is that it is coded to not accept GCs... what is interesting though is I went to another location next, and that location wouldn't even let me swipe my debit card to attempt it. All CC/Debits were blocked completely...

Most likely not activated.

Am I such a noob? Is there something I am missing on how to activate the card?

I bet shifter is right.

I've read reports of sometimes having to wait up to 24 hours before the card is usable.

Try again tomorrow.

It could possibly be:

- PIN was wrong

It was a split tender transaction... I was trying for a $998 money order ($2 fee) making it an even $1000. So I tried $500 on each card.

No receipt, no reason given, no explanation other than card wasn't accepted. Both cards have the full $500 avail (I just checked)

Only thing I can fathom is that it is coded to not accept GCs... what is interesting though is I went to another location next, and that location wouldn't even let me swipe my debit card to attempt it. All CC/Debits were blocked completely...

That is not uncommon around me. A few places only accept cash for money orders. Probably depends on your location.

Most likely not activated.

Am I such a noob? Is there something I am missing on how to activate the card?

I bet shifter is right.

I've read reports of sometimes having to wait up to 24 hours before the card is usable.

Try again tomorrow.

The cards are already over 24 hours old though.. one of them is 48 hours old :/

Try to activate again.

Maybe try a small test purchase for normal item (pack of gum) as debit.

And when you say activate, you just mean use the card right? There isn't a # I need to call or a website I need to go to ?

Go back and read the very first post of this thread. I appreciate Konrad for being honest when talking about M$.

People jump on here claiming how easy it is, and while that might be true for them it is always YMMV. Different states, stores, cards, people etc. lead to many different outcomes.

There are 101 ways to do M$ and the right thing to do is start small and test what is going to work for you.

For me money orders are impossible within 50 miles of where I live.

Try to activate again.

Maybe try a small test purchase for normal item (pack of gum) as debit.

And when you say activate, you just mean use the card right? There isn't a # I need to call or a website I need to go to ?

I think they are activated upon purchase at the time you buy them -- but this is not my area of expertise.

Try to buy a pack of gum as debit, and if that fails, call customer service.

If that succeeds, try a different place for the MO.

Called Customer Service - Card is ready to use.

Went back to same store. Tried single purchase MO for $499. Denied again. She flipped the monitor around and it said "Error 60: Refer to cardholder".

Then swiped the card debit for a protein bar and that worked.

Guess even though you can swipe it for debit it is coded not to accept.

So the usual bloggers are trying their darnedest to make sure the UPS method is killed. It's almost like they get off on making sure MS deals die.

Do you have a link?

I was told that you originated the UPS method.

So the usual bloggers are trying their darnedest to make sure the UPS method is killed. It's almost like they get off on making sure MS deals die.

Do you have a link?

I was told that you originated the UPS method.

H.E.L.L.O. that's a secret

Important Information

Guidelines